Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Is Dwight just another modern day athlete?

athletes like Dwight, Tebow, Tiger, etc publicize that they hold themsleves to higher

I too hold my sleves too high , just so everybody can see my muscles.....

quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:

athletes like Dwight, Tebow, Tiger, etc publicize that they hold themsleves to higher

I too hold my sleves too high , just so everybody can see my muscles.....

You sir are the master....MMDLR!

There are people that confuse religion with spirituality and those that think that if you profess openly your religion it will assure your professional performance in sports and the ethical performance in your private life. If that would be true it would be so easy to become a succesful professional athlete and an ethical member of society. I have seen many religious mediocre athletes yet ethical members of society and viceversa those that have been very outstanding ones and have led a very unethical personal life. The reference to the parable of the talents should make clear that everyone has to make the most of what they got this time around.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

when a Christian slips up and inevitably falls short of that aforementioned moral code, the average Joe points back to the moron on the street corner and says 'See, they condemn us for our mistakes, but they are just as bad as us!' Hence the ignorance on the opposite side of the coin.

Not to nitpick but isn't this sending a hypocritical message? You say that a person standing on the corner telling others that they are inferior is not okay but if a person claims that Christians are "just as bad as us" and you call that ignorance, then the message is Christians are, in one way or another, better than everyone else. Because otherwise Christians would, in fact, be just as bad as everyone else. Not trying to attack you, just trying to see how I misinterperated this.

shaq-flop.gif We'll have to see if Dwight can handle the spotlight.........

"People don't understand that Anthony's complete

lack of neck actually helps his body stay streamlined and aero dynamic when he drives to the hoop.this is a fact" -Ramsde68

26 NOV 09.

"Naw that still not right but seriously I mean who really believes Otiz was trading inside info for free fish sand wiches anyway? Calm Chowder may be, but fish sandwiches? That just seems far fetched to me.At least tragicfan has a believable source." -KITNO 05 AUG 09.

legends.jpgshaq-flop.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

This is just stupid. Everybody is having sex. If you think it's immoral to have sex out of wedlock then your opinion on values is skewed and way out of wack.

This is stupid. Everybody is smoking crack and murdering somebody. If you think it's immoral to smoke crack and murder somebody than your opinion on values is skewed and way out of wack.

You just compared crack smoking and murder with having sex with someone before marriage, which is a made-up Christian "value".

Yeah, I understood the same point when he posted that. In fact, if you read the Bible (even the New Testament), most of the things we do ordinarily is pretty much a sin, but in those times they were extremely rare. Society has slowly but surely grew away from them. We now having babies out of wedlock. We now have women that actually are head of the family. Blah blah blah, the point is, how we live today is surely not the same as how people lived 2,000 years ago in terms of 'values'.

Now, as for Dwight speaking about his personal values? Let him. Almost every celebrity that gets something special (as Pancake pointed out, Dwight thanking God for the ECF win), they're going to bring up religion. It's just expected and some form of obligation. I don't know. It would be weird if you DIDN'T thank God for where you are (I'm not Christian but rather non-religious). So, from what I can assume, Dwight does have values and is a Christian, but I personally think he brought up all that stuff as 'being in the moment' so to speak. Yeah, nobody's perfect and all that, and I doubt Dwight even thinks he is, but everybody likes to say cliche stuff in public just not to look bad, really. I take everything an athlete says to the media with a grain of salt, because we have to remember that they're just kids. Imagine what a kid would say to the media if he just became famous and didn't want to ruin his reputation.