Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Howard's Foul Rescinded; Murphy's Upgraded

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I'm stunned. I mean, it's the right decision, adn therefore, I am stunned.

I agree, but what are you MORE stunned over, the reversal or that it's a reversal for a MAGIC franchise player??? I now whihc one I'd pick!

Great result though and way to go Stan...

quote:

David Stern is finally catching on,..

Where everybody has witnessed variances of blatant ref improprieties. But enough is enough and too much is too much and clearly that was absolutely criminal the way that exchange was called on the floor by those rogue refs.

It's not just because it was a Magic's player it'd been indefensible had it been any other player. Where I understand the Pacers didn't want Howard to dominate them and their players was trying to compete. But what they were doing and the way the refs were allowing it incites exactly what happened in that Tim Donahy orchestrated donnybrook in Detroit a few years back,..ironically involving these organizational Indiana Pacers.

This was unquestionably the right thing to do in regards to call assessment reversal. But those rogue ref's are going to have to be dealt with to clean the game up. As well as hats off to Dwight for having the restraint and not hauling off and knocking Troy Murphy back into his infancy years,..the Pistons responded differently and as ugly as it evolved that ordeal wasn't the players fault.

Unbelievable, in an awesome way.

I was FULLY expecting Redick and SVG to both get fined today. Maybe this'll be a watershed moment as far as players being allowed to clobber D12 around the head and shoulders?

Eh, maybe not. But justice prevails in the NBA for at least ONE day.

I will only applaud this if it is consistently applied moving forward.

It's encouraging, but it smacks of placating to attention grabing incidents that have come to define the hypocrisy of how the league offices of the NBA & NFL operate.

Until its applied consistently & becomes standard MO w/o players & coaches drawing attention to it or reserved for plays that result in injury...it's little more than a pat on the head!

One point that is missing is with respect to the impact on the game. Howard had a T, but Murphy did not play with a Flagrant. The announcers even pointed out during the game that the Pacer players were trying to antagonize Howard to commit his 2nd technical. This influenced the behavior of Indiana in a positive way (from their point of view), and the Magic (specifically Howard), in a negative way.

Isn't the rule that you must make a play on the ball, and not just wrap a player up? If that is the case, why is it NEVER called? An occational call would influence the other teams behavior to play ball. Did you ever notice how weak the fouls that the Magic commit are? Most of the time, the other team's player still makes the shot. Our team needs to play with an edge. Being the "nice guys" doesn't win games, but getting in your opponents head does.

All Stern did was put a band-aid on what is going to be an ugly situation in the future. Unless he has all of his cronies (refs) call flagrants the way they are intended, Howard is going to lose his cool soon.

"Not making a play on the ball" flagrants seem to only apply to everyone but centers.

quote:
Originally posted by chrisinboston:

All Stern did was put a band-aid on what is going to be an ugly situation in the future. Unless he has all of his cronies (refs) call flagrants the way they are intended, Howard is going to lose his cool soon.

"Not making a play on the ball" flagrants seem to only apply to everyone but centers.

Orlando vs. Brawl?