Sign in to follow this  
MightyMouse

Magic chat on ESPN.com at 1PM today!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

quote:
Originally posted by Jaybird:

quote:
I think Cleveland wins because Shaq (and Leon Powe) can guard Dwight Howard one on one. That's somethings the Cavs didn't have last year. A Parker, Jamario Moon and Delonte West can guard Vince. LeBron can guard Rashard. I'm not saying the Cavs defenders shut the Magic players down, but they can guard them straight up without having to run all the gimmick Ds they did in last year's EC Finals. All the wicked matchup nightmares Orlando caused Cleveland are gone now.

Yeah? What about the coaching one?

Not to mention.. when he comes in (or when Shaq inevitably gets hurt again), Big Z has to defend SOMEONE. More importantly, their 60 million dollar man, Anderson Varejao, has to defend SOMEONE. Has everyone forgotten that Powe won't be healthy until January-February, as well?

C. Dwight

PF. Rashard

SF. Barnes/Pietrus

SG. Carter

PG. Jameer

v.

C. Shaq

PF. Varejao (Powe? Hickson??)

SF. LeBron

SG. Parker/Delonte

PG. Mo Williams

Okay, Varejao has to defend someone. Plus, who's going to defend Vince Carter?? There's a reason why VC lights up Toronto EVERY time, it's not some mystical thing (Anthony Parker on D, anyone?). LBJ can't defend VC & Shard simultaneously. I guess they could go with a lineup of Shaq-LeBron-Parker-Delonte-Mo... so good luck to them on that one.

What I don't understand, is why people think West guarding Turkoglu was such a mismatch. Turk's ability to post up smaller players was/is nonexistent, and West was able to stay in front of him. If you put West on Lewis, completely different story. But Turk was only able to get separation off of pick and rolls. So why will these guys be able to do a better job on Vince than Turk?

I do think Shaq is a slight improvement over Z in defense, when healthy and motivated. I think he makes them better overall because now they have a legitimate low post scoring threat. Dwight won't be able to overpower him in the post, but we should still be able to pick and roll them to death. Offensively, Shaq doesn't hurt our matchups because it allows Dwight to play closer to the basket where he is so dominant, and clogs the lane a little for Lebron.

Of course, take Shaq away from the miracle workers that are the Phoenix training staff, and his ability to remain healthy becomes a huge question. Think about this for a second, Grant Hill played 82 games last year! Grant f'n Hill!

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

What I don't understand, is why people think West guarding Turkoglu was such a mismatch. Turk's ability to post up smaller players was/is nonexistent, and West was able to stay in front of him. If you put West on Lewis, completely different story. But Turk was only able to get separation off of pick and rolls. So why will these guys be able to do a better job on Vince than Turk?

Don't worry. West won't be able to guard anyone while he's wearing that straitjacket. Any bets on how soon he gets fitted for it?...

Lebron will not take the challenge of guarding the best wing player on the Magic. He's going to guard the 3 for the Magic so that he can roam. They picked up Moon and Powe to guard Shard, and Big Flopper and Vareflop to guard D12.

so when the following are in the game:

C D12 vs Shaq/Vareflop/Z

PF Shard vs Moon/Powe

SF Pietrus vs James

SG Carter vs West/Parker

PG Nelson vs Mo/Gibson

when Bass comes in at the 4:

Bass vs Vareflop/Powe