Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Gortat believes the Magic will match

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell_Armstrong:

I think Otis might have something in line with Houston, or at least a working conversation. This is the latest from Morey:

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_...ly_trade_for_center/

He says the Rockets will add a center via trade. Gortat for Lowry or Battier?

This has been talked about, in bits and pieces, in several different threads, so, l want to try to summarize all of that into a few pertinent sentences. We know that we need someone to backup Dwight, and that, regardless of how much is most of us would like to see Gortat back, he is too expensive now to keep if all he's going to do is play 10-12 minutes. And, no, he would not work out well at PF next to Dwight. He can't shoot. Some of you are really struggling to come to terms with that, but I just don't see how that would work with the type of offense we play.

Barring a complete failure to find someone else to backup Dwight, one way or another, Gortat is as good as gone. However, we also know that Otis doesn't want to let Gortat walk without getting something in return. Matching Dallas' offer is the only way to do this. So, unless Otis really wants to have the league's most expensive bench ornament, that commits us to trading Gortat.

No one has a greater need for a player like Gortat right now than Houston does. They know this better than we do. So, its probably only a question of what we can get out of them. That's where your question leaves us, Darrel Armstrong.

Does anyone really think that Houston would give up Battier? I would LOVE for that to happen, but it seems like a pipe dream to me. Lowry would work and fill a need, but Gortat > Lowry, so, what else can Houston give us to make it worthwhile that would not duplicate some of what we already have?