Sign in to follow this  
Meer2D12

the trade exception

how come people talk like we need to use the trade exception right away? Halfway through the year we can use it on a team who's record isn't what they had planned and pick up a player before they try and rebuild for the next year. We can also assess our weaknesses and fill the spot or like I said in another thread fill the role of an injured player that is if someone gets hurt.

how come people talk like we need to use the trade exception right away? Halfway through the year we can use it on a team who's record isn't what they had planned and pick up a player before they try and rebuild for the next year. We can also assess our weaknesses and fill the spot or like I said in another thread fill the role of an injured player that is if someone gets hurt.

quote:
Originally posted by Meer2D12:

You are correct sir.

Yes, but there are also plenty of players we can try to obtain now. Fans are excited because $10M was just thrown our way that we can use on a number of talented players. What's not to get excited about? The people on this forum aren't Otis, we're just excitedly speculating and there is nothing wrong with that.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan125:

Yes, but there are also plenty of players we can try to obtain now. Fans are excited because $10M was just thrown our way that we can use on a number of talented players.

we can only use it on a talented player. singular

Because there is 8 players on the roster, and we have nothing but a 5.8 MLE and min contracts fill out the rest of the team.

quote:
Originally posted by yeahright:

I'm really curious how this works out with avoiding the luxury tax...

I read the exception is for 7 million, can anybody confirm that?

The 7 million makes more sense because Hedo would fall under BYC. We would be shipping out his last years salary, so that would be all we could take back.

They won't pay tax on it until they use it to acquire someone, which will basically be like signing a free agent.

So we trade Hedo before he extends? Not really a S&T but really a regular trade?

I know we don't have to pay taxes for having the TE but you know, if they are aiming to get a player worth 7 million and the rest of the bench.

quote:
Originally posted by yeahright:

So we trade Hedo before he extends? Not really a S&T but really a regular trade?

I know we don't have to pay taxes for having the TE but you know, if they are aiming to get a player worth 7 million and the rest of the bench.

We sign Hedo to his new contract, and then trade him to Toronto. Lets say his first year is worth 10 million. Due to the TPE and BYC clauses in the CBA, Hedo is a base year player. So even though the first year of his new deal is 10 million, he is not worth that much to Orlando in a trade. He is worth either:

a) His previous year salary (around 7 mil)

or

B) 50% of the first year of his new deal (in this case, 5 million).

Orlando will receive a traded player exception worth the higher of a) or B), which in this case is a).

This link goes into a little more detail.

Salary Cap FAQ