Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

START GORTAT AT PF...If the Rockets are willing to Pay Gortat...

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Ben, gotta disagree with the idea. Gortat will get schooled trying to guard some of the fours in this league who can step out and have quickness: Odom, Bosh, Amare, Dirk, etc. His strength is being around the basket. Like it or not, I think he is a strong up and coming center, not power forward. Now as a young center, you make a strong case for re-signing him given his ability to step in for a hurt Dwight. Personally, I think we need someone who is between a Lewis and a Gortat in terms of talent and ability ... a true power forward ... a Sheed, McDyess, etc.

OK I agree, but I disagree and here is why. I agree that given what we have seen out of Gorat that he is not the guy to guard Bosh and Amare. However, Dwight can guard those guys without a problem.

Second, how many teams have two good big men on the floor at the same time. The answer would be two. The Celtic and the Lakers. So lets dissect them and other top teams. I think you will find it is in the Magic's best interest to put the defensive player of the year on their best front court player.

Lakers - Gortat can guard Bynum, Howard can Guard Gasol. I like Howard against Gasol because I think that keeps Gasol from driving and Howard can block his jump shot on occassion. Gortat and Bynum would be an even match up.

Celtics - Howard on KG and Gortat on Perkins. Same results as with Lakers

Cavs - Howard on Shaq, Gortat on Anderson Captain Floppy Varejao. No match up issues.

Spurs - Howard on Duncan, Gortat

Nuggets - Howard on Martin, Gortat on Nene.

Rockets - Howard on Yao, Gortat on Scola.

Heat - Howard on Beasley, Gortat on O'Neal (this match up you can flip flop with no issues.)

Hornets - Howard on West, Gortat on Chandler

Trailblazers - Howard on Aldridge, Gortat on Przybilla/Oden

Jazz - Howard on Boozer/Milsap, Gortat on Okur

Look Howard is much better equipped to play defense as a Power Forward and Offense as a Center. There is no reason not to start Gortat because of this. Not to mention, look at how far Gortat has come with his game in 2 years. What is to say he can not make even bigger steps??? We all expect it out of Howard, why not expect the same out of Gortat???

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

You are crazy, Gortat can play PF just as well as he can play Center. I do not think you have any basis for his ability to play as a starting PF anymore than I do.

That post just blew my mind.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

We can't be greedy. Gortat is a center and not a PF. We also don't have a few years to develop him into a PF.

It's nice to have a back up as good as Gortat, but you can't give him 5 mil to play very limited minutes behind Howard and you can't think well...if Howard get's injured we have Gortat. That's like the New Orleans saying we have Chris Paul, but let's pay JN 5 million to come off the bench.

If Gortat was able to play both positions efficiently then I wouldn't mind!

You are crazy, Gortat can play PF just as well as he can play Center. I do not think you have any basis for his ability to play as a starting PF anymore than I do.

And you are an idiot. Did you see the playoffs when Gortat and Howard played together? It wasn't very efficient!

What about an UBER team say the Nets could fill in a year. How would you guard a line up like this.

Harris

Lee

LBJ

Bosh

Lopez

Well against a line up like this I would have to say we would see this line up be very effective

Nelson on Harris (here is your mismatch)

Carter & Pietrus guarding Lee and LBJ

Lewis on Bosh

Howard on Lopez

But you could easilly see stretches where Nelson gets pulled and Carter becomes the point forward and you have Howard and Gortat guarding the bigs. Pietrus & Lewis on LBJ and Lee. And Carter taking his assignment on Harris with Pietrus rotating on him from time to time.

quote:

quote:

quote:

We can't be greedy. Gortat is a center and not a PF. We also don't have a few years to develop him into a PF.

It's nice to have a back up as good as Gortat, but you can't give him 5 mil to play very limited minutes behind Howard and you can't think well...if Howard get's injured we have Gortat. That's like the New Orleans saying we have Chris Paul, but let's pay JN 5 million to come off the bench.

If Gortat was able to play both positions efficiently then I wouldn't mind!

And you are an idiot. Did you see the playoffs when Gortat and Howard played together? It wasn't very efficient!

Gee lets see...Gortat barely played in his first year, saw just a little more time last year. SO it stands to reason HAD SVG played them together exclusively all season the issues we had with rotations and help defense would not have been there.

Not to mention we now have a better go to guy in Carter which will correct a lot of the problems having Howard and Gortat on the floor together on offense.

Gortat cant play with Howard. They dont compliment eachother at all. They were both standing in the paint, bumping into eachother just about. Neither has a jump shot and Gortat away from the basekt on defense? eww. There was a reason we didnt go to this lineup often...it's because, it's not all that good. Complete mess on the offensive end. Discombobulated. Gortat is a center, through and through. And centers who show just a hint of talent, get over paid in this league. It's hard to find a talented center. Gortat will for sure get the full MLE at the least and there is just no way we'll match that, for a guy that we wouldn't even be able to get many more minutes than last year. It's not even a wise investment. That's a lot to pay for what would be no more than a backup.

Since you are all smart guys and Magic fans just answer this then. We are probably losing Hedo. We probably will not get Bass or Sheed. Now other than Gortat who is the best available big man?

So would you not want to take your chances, pay him the MLE if necessary, let him start and worst case scenario is he becomes the top big off the bench. Best case scenario our defense improves and Gortat and Howard grow together like a Tim Duncan & David Robinson.

Otherwise you are looking at the starting 4 plus a marginal player and a very weak bench filled out with mid level talent. You decide.

If you dont get Bass or Wallace. Lewis will have to stay at the 4. Or you're starting a rather green, Anderson there. That's just how it is, there isn't a lot of big man talent out there. Especially if you split the MLE. Younger options would include guys like Frye, Diogu, and Soloman Jones, among others but, they still have some upside, atleast. It will be interesting to see what Mcdyess commands. He could be a possibility if he'd take a portion of the MLE.

quote:
Originally posted by New Guy:

Gortat cant play with Howard. They dont compliment eachother at all. They were both standing in the paint, bumping into eachother just about. Neither has a jump shot and Gortat away from the basekt on defense? eww. There was a reason we didnt go to this lineup often...it's because, it's not all that good. Complete mess on the offensive end. Discombobulated. Gortat is a center, through and through. And centers who show just a hint of talent, get over paid in this league. It's hard to find a talented center. Gortat will for sure get the full MLE at the least and there is just no way we'll match that, for a guy that we wouldn't even be able to get many more minutes than last year. It's not even a wise investment. That's a lot to pay for what would be no more than a backup.

What you are talking about is evidence that they have not learned how to play with each other. It does not mean they can't play with each other. Those are two different things. If Stan would have played them a lot together I am positive you would have seen a much better result.

quote:
Originally posted by New Guy:

If you dont get Bass or Wallace. Lewis will have to stay at the 4. Or you're starting a rather green, Anderson there. That's just how it is, there isn't a lot of big man talent out there. Especially if you split the MLE. Younger options would include guys like Frye, Diogu, and Soloman Jones, among others but, they still have some upside, atleast. It will be interesting to see what Mcdyess commands. He could be a possibility if he'd take a portion of the MLE.

None of those guys you mentioned are as good as Gortat.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

yea but if he starts who is gonna back them up? we would prolly see alot of games with both of them in foul trouble.

I would round out the roster with Theo Ratliff and then search for a good back up behind Jameer so AJ can be third string.

You're not going to find someone who is better than Gortat but, that is what you'll have to settle for.

Gortat is not a PF. He cannot hit a jumpshot at all, Dwight cannot hit a jump shot...at all. It doesnt work. Gortat would have to play out of the pain frequently on defense. That would be terrible. I'm sorry but, he's not a PF. He's a true center.

And again, we wont match the full MLE for Gortat, it would make no sense to do so. The Hornets and Kings may even throw some real cash his way. The same could be said for Brandon Bass who New Orleans loves. They want to bring him back home and may open the wallet to do so.