Sign in to follow this  
KillingInTheNameOf

Stats, Stats, & Mo Stats...(What ya like fella's)

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

For Clarification:

+.242 Team

+.120 Redick

+.380 Lee

+.411 Pietrus

IMO, that means that JJ is in fact doing better the last 5-6 games in comparison to himself (meaning he has improved his production), but compared to Lee & Pietrus, JJ is still sub par.

quote:
Originally posted by nclover:

lee (-3 )................Redick (+19) What!?

lol i'm sure stan has to move jj up in the lineup after one game against the bucks.

Good research, but a couple of comments why I don't trust the statistics much (not that I am a JJ fan, for anyone):

1- Only certain aspects are included. The game has many many dimensions that you can't really put a quantitative measure on.

2- JJ most often plays in with a team of 4 scrubs + Hedo/Rashard. If you look at the team efficiency in that scenario, you don't really know who is the weaker link in the team. And also you don't know who is the stronger link. Usually Rashard and sometimes Hedo end up taking many shots when they are in with the scrubs.

3- Lee has the benefit of playing with Dwight which is a big attention in the middle, and frees up Lee quite a bit. JJ is always guarded very closely when he is playing with the scrubs since Gortat is never double teamed (or noticed much to say).

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

SmackDaddy, make sure you read this thread...

Yeah, you and I were talking about this specifically the other day before my cell died.

JJ's PER, Lenovo, Roland Rating, Win Share, etc, etc, etc, are darn near the worst on the team (at any position) - I think only Lue and Foyle have worse rankings. And compared to Lee and Pietrus, JJ is miles behind.

However, over the last 5-6 games where JJ has been utilized in a more consistent role, with a well determined rotation, I believe that JJ is finally benefiting himself and the team by not being jerked in and out of the lineup irregularly. JJ is playing with more confidence as a result of a more defined role, which pretty much every player at this level should, and it is definitely helping his game blossom.

I'm glad that JJ is contributing and helping the team, but he's still our 3rd option at SG - even though MP has been moved to 3 temporarily(and next year, I could very easily see Stan experimenting with a Rafer/Jameer backcourt for a few minutes per game).

I decided to test this theory being that it came from one of the biggest JJ detractors on the board & before anybody accuses me of leaving out the 6th game to form fit data, JJ had zero points in 9 minutes of play 6 games ago vs. NJ with a +2 Lenovo stat.

I think this will provide a very accurate snap shot of the entire season and eventually go to making the broader point...

JJ Average Stat Line In Last 5 Games:

21 Min

8.2 Pts

39% FG%

38% 3-PT FG%

42% 2-PT FG%

50% Eff FG%

1.6 Reb

2 Assists

0 Steals

0 Blocks

+2.6 (+/-) Stat

+.120 Per Min Lenovo Stat over Last 5 Games

Lee Average Stat Line In Last 5 Games:

26 Min

7 Pts

36% FG%

33% 3-PT FG%

38% 2-PT FG%

41% Eff FG%

2.8 Reb

.6 Assists

1 Steal

.2 Blocks

+9.6 +/- Stat

+.380 PM Lenovo Stat Last 5

Pietrus Average Stat Line In Last 5 Games:

25 Min

10.2 Pts

46% FG%

47% 3-PT FG%

44% 2-PT FG%

64% Eff FG%

5.2 Reb

1.4 ***

1 Steal

1.2 Blocks

+10.4 +/- Stat

+.411 Per Min Lenovo Stat Last 5 (Fitting #)

LENOVO STAT ANALYSIS/BREAKDOWN LAST 5

The team is +58 in last 5 games; that translates to an average margin of victory of 11.6 points. Which in turn translates into a per minutes Lenovo stat of +.242. This +.242 is the teams baseline over the last 5 games!

For Clarification:

+.242 Team

+.120 Redick

+.380 Lee

+.411 Pietrus

What exactly does that mean?

In 21.35 mins per game JJ played over last 5, the team was +.339 over the 26.65 mins he wasn't on the floor, & +.120 in the 21.35 mins he was on the floor. Positive, but below the baseline! Put in laymans terms, the team improved an average of 9.04 points w/o JJ on the floor & 2.56 points with him on the floor during those last 5 games.

Now that I've explained that here's how the teams breaks down w/Pietrus & Lee on the floor in last 5 games.

+.242 Team

+.411 Pietrus

+.053 Team w/o Pietrus on floor

Note: Average Margin of victory while Pietrus on floor 10.40 points out of the average 11.6 margin of victory.

+.242 Team

+.380 Lee

+.121 Team w/o Lee on floor

Note: AMV with Lee 8.85 out of 11.6.

Ok, Ok, I can hear you now. Pietrus started two of those games & had a monster game vs. Washington...NO FAIR.

Let's just look at the 3 games both players came off the bench against 3 quality opponents (Detroit, Utah, & Boston).

+.174 Team (Baseline)

+.122 Redick

+.308 Pietrus

+.124 Lee

+.218 Team w/o Redick

+.101 Team w/o Pietrus

+.227 Team w/o Lee

Translation

8.4 Average Margin of Victory

2.7 Average Gain w/JJ on floor in 22 Min

5.3 Average Gain w/Pietrus on floor in 17 Min

3.0 Average Gain w/Lee on floor in 24 Min

Stat Line in those 3 Games:

JJ

22 Min

6 Pts

19% FG%

Lee

24 Min

7 Pts

40% FG%

Pietrus

17 Min

5.3 Pts

44% FG%

Conclusion: When all 3 players steal minutes from each, none of them are overly effective. But, who is the team consistently most effective with?

The stats dont really reflect a players abilities or talents. I have seen a player have a great scoring night and have a horrible rating. What really counts, is who gets the job done. And so far it has been a great team effort with everyone contributing, everyone being a starat one time or another including JJ. So lets root for the team and stop the jj bashing. Its starting to sound a bit racist

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

1- Only certain aspects are included. The game has many many dimensions that you can't really put a quantitative measure on.

Such as?

I'm not suggesting what has been provided does, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

quote:
2- JJ most often plays in with a team of 4 scrubs + Hedo/Rashard. If you look at the team efficiency in that scenario, you don't really know who is the weaker link in the team. And also you don't know who is the stronger link. Usually Rashard and sometimes Hedo end up taking many shots when they are in with the scrubs.

All 3 players have large data sample as backups and when you isolate those games it tells a similiar story.

quote:
The stats dont really reflect a players abilities or talents. I have seen a player have a great scoring night and have a horrible rating. What really counts, is who gets the job done. And so far it has been a great team effort with everyone contributing, everyone being a starat one time or another including JJ. So lets root for the team and stop the jj bashing. Its starting to sound a bit racist

Racist? Pretty funny, I'm clearly advocating Gortat over Battie as well. I guess that makes me a schitzo racist?

As you said, "what really counts, is who gets the job done", and that precisely what this stat reflects. I've said all year long JJ has played well, improved dramatically, but the bottom line is that the team is far more effective with Pietrus & Lee playing instead of JJ.

quote:
Originally posted by nclover:

Lee.+3....Redick....+11

quote:
Originally posted by futuremg:

Dont forget Pietrus's -17. Stats? Yes they are always accurate. Lol!

Wouldn't it be nice if players could select a handful of games to represent their season output rather than all 82?

quote:
Originally posted by futuremg:

Dont forget Pietrus's -17. Stats? Yes they are always accurate. Lol!

Yes, stats are accurate... it's not their fault you lack the ability to properly interpret them.

Defense: Boxouts, help defense, rotations, etc.

Offense: Off the ball movement, screens, extra passes, the quality of the passes and shots, etc.

Overall: Intensity, hustle, leadership, etc.

I am not saying don't look at the stats, but guys, do not worship them please. Watch the game in its whole and make your decision based on that.

I personally prefer non-selfish players who play smart and get his teammates involved.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Such as?

I'm not suggesting what has been provided does, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.