Sign in to follow this  
cheapguitar

AJ or Lue? Who's Next Year's #3

After the recent bench-clearing set of trades, (which IMHO was impressive in how it wacked the lower quarter of our roster), I'm wondering how you folks see next year's PG shaping up? I'm assuming Alston and Jameer will split PG duties, but who's the #3? Lue has an expiring contract and AJ has another year (@$2.16M). Does anyone think Lue might be the better choice for #3 PG? I've notice he can put up the same numbers as AJ in half the minutes. That's got to be worth something. But is it even possible (or worth the effort) to keep him and figure out what to do with AJ?

After the recent bench-clearing set of trades, (which IMHO was impressive in how it wacked the lower quarter of our roster), I'm wondering how you folks see next year's PG shaping up? I'm assuming Alston and Jameer will split PG duties, but who's the #3? Lue has an expiring contract and AJ has another year (@$2.16M). Does anyone think Lue might be the better choice for #3 PG? I've notice he can put up the same numbers as AJ in half the minutes. That's got to be worth something. But is it even possible (or worth the effort) to keep him and figure out what to do with AJ?

well if we have jameer, alston and some of hedo running the pg situation, it would be to let lue expire, and have aj in a suit. i don't care for the guy, but i don't see us making any sort of move to resign lue in the current situation, and i don't know how many people want aj.

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

AJ and Lue, will probably not last past this season...

There is no point in retaining a PG who could not fill the void of an injured PG...

with two starting PG's next season, AJ will be just fine...there is no need to re-sign Lue, I'm more concerned about re-signing Hedo and Gortat not a 4th PG...

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

quote:

There is no point in retaining a PG who could not fill the void of an injured PG...

with two starting PG's next season, AJ will be just fine...there is no need to re-sign Lue, I'm more concerned about re-signing Hedo and Gortat not a 4th PG...

I still dont see settling for AJ when there will be better PG's out there.

What happens if Alston were to sit out (im not going to say the "I" word) next yr, then we would have AJ back out there to get burned....

As far as Hedo goes, as long as he doesnt want over 7mil, then we should be fine...

Anything more than that is completely silly...

Gortat, I like the guy alot... but I think there will be better backups available...

quote:

quote:

quote:

I still dont see settling for AJ when there will be better PG's out there.

What happens if Alston were to sit out (im not going to say the "I" word) next yr, then we would have AJ back out there to get burned....

As far as Hedo goes, as long as he doesnt want over 7mil, then we should be fine...

Anything more than that is completely silly...

Gortat, I like the guy alot... but I think there will be better backups available...

AJ is still under contract, so that's pretty much all but settled...Hedo will ask for more than $7 million a season, so get ready to be disappointed there...Gortat is an important piece to continue developing, re-signing him shouldnt be an issue, unless the polish reports of him wanting some huge deal are true, which I highly doubt...the Magic can still sign another quality FA big using the MLE and hopefully use the TPE to acquire a 1st rounder...no biggie...

quote:

considering AJ will be under contract and Lue wont, I'm going to go on a limb and say AJ...

Yeah, I think this is pretty clear.

This season: Alston-Johnson-Lue (Alston-Lue-Johnson? I'm just sayin'.)

Next season: Nelson-Alston-Johnson, the Magic let Lue expire.

Hedo, Gortat, and getting a younger Battie at PF are definitely bigger priorities than PG now. Point guard pretty much takes care of itself up through the next season and a half. We'll be moving into the new Events Center before the Magic really will need at least one more PG.