Sign in to follow this  
count of monte carlo84

Losing my faith in the NBA

I have been a die hard fan since 95-96 (I am only 22). My dad got me interested, primarily in the magic, but I soon developed a love for the league in general. We loved the magic when they sucked big time and we loved them when they have done well. Either way, we are losing all faith in the NBA. After years of watching games, tons of them, magic and otherwise, if you are a true fan of the NBA and the Magic it is clearly visible that the NBA is a league of golden teams (who are given endless chances to win their games via the officials) that can make money and everyone else can just go screw off. It seems the magic get screwed over at least 5 times in every game. I watch a lot of games and the officiating is never as lopsided as when it is a magic game. I am not blinded by the fact I am a magic fan. Teams like the Lakers, Pistons, and Celtics, will seem to get the extreme benefit of the doubt even when their teams are less talented. My dad and I, can't take much more of this and I doubt we are the only ones. The NBA is turning away their true fans with the seemingly rigged nature of the games. I thought when dwight howard was turning into the league's new "superman" the magic might actually get some of the league's "golden cheater" power, but I was mistaken. Its ok, I like it better this way. I don't want to have the team I love win because the league sees it fit, someone on the team sells jerseys for them, and not because they are the best team. I've lurked this board for a long time, but have finally become so disgusted that I signed up in order to vent my frustration. That is all for now.

O ya and to the Magic specifically, shoot some freakin t shirts into the upper bowl every once in a while too, they are paying customers as well...

I have been a die hard fan since 95-96 (I am only 22). My dad got me interested, primarily in the magic, but I soon developed a love for the league in general. We loved the magic when they sucked big time and we loved them when they have done well. Either way, we are losing all faith in the NBA. After years of watching games, tons of them, magic and otherwise, if you are a true fan of the NBA and the Magic it is clearly visible that the NBA is a league of golden teams (who are given endless chances to win their games via the officials) that can make money and everyone else can just go screw off. It seems the magic get screwed over at least 5 times in every game. I watch a lot of games and the officiating is never as lopsided as when it is a magic game. I am not blinded by the fact I am a magic fan. Teams like the Lakers, Pistons, and Celtics, will seem to get the extreme benefit of the doubt even when their teams are less talented. My dad and I, can't take much more of this and I doubt we are the only ones. The NBA is turning away their true fans with the seemingly rigged nature of the games. I thought when dwight howard was turning into the league's new "superman" the magic might actually get some of the league's "golden cheater" power, but I was mistaken. Its ok, I like it better this way. I don't want to have the team I love win because the league sees it fit, someone on the team sells jerseys for them, and not because they are the best team. I've lurked this board for a long time, but have finally become so disgusted that I signed up in order to vent my frustration. That is all for now.

O ya and to the Magic specifically, shoot some freakin t shirts into the upper bowl every once in a while too, they are paying customers as well...

here's my response to a letter i emailed to the NBA immediately following the game.

Dear Casey:

Thank you for contacting the National Basketball Association with your concerns regarding the inadvertent clock stoppage at the end of the third quarter of Game 2 between the Detroit Pistons and Orlando Magic at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Joel Litvin, NBA President, League and Basketball Operations, issued the following statement:

I have to laugh i wrote the nba a letter years ago. Regarding the same subject about the pistons being screwed by mj and the bulls. The nba will never change. If your a big star or an elite team you will get the calls. You know stern is in the refs ear. Ive never trusted him and never will.

My re-reponse to the NBA

Their "judgment" was obviously poor. And in life, significant poor judgment leads to consequence. So when is the NBA going to "man-up" and start sending out some consequence, particularly to Steve Javie, crew chief, who was the ultimate decision maker? The NBA is losing its integrity with every passing season due to lackluster officiating. These things happen is regular season games too, however when its magnified 50 times in front of a national television audience, and it takes place during the playoffs, people are going to grumble a lot louder. As a "professional" organization, I believe it is the NBA's job to reprimand the lead official, as well as look into possible solutions for future instances. Had this call happened AGAINST Detroit, Boston or L.A., the uproar would be far more significant, however, just because the Magic are a smaller market team, that does not mean this should be "swept under the rug", and a generic "it should have counted, but sorry Magic fans" letter be issued.

The NBA- Where "We're sorry, but you got screwed" happens.

-Casey Mullen

quote:
Originally posted by CaseyMullen928:

My re-reponse to the NBA

Their "judgment" was obviously poor. And in life, significant poor judgment leads to consequence. So when is the NBA going to "man-up" and start sending out some consequence, particularly to Steve Javie, crew chief, who was the ultimate decision maker? The NBA is losing its integrity with every passing season due to lackluster officiating. These things happen is regular season games too, however when its magnified 50 times in front of a national television audience, and it takes place during the playoffs, people are going to grumble a lot louder. As a "professional" organization, I believe it is the NBA's job to reprimand the lead official, as well as look into possible solutions for future instances. Had this call happened AGAINST Detroit, Boston or L.A., the uproar would be far more significant, however, just because the Magic are a smaller market team, that does not mean this should be "swept under the rug", and a generic "it should have counted, but sorry Magic fans" letter be issued.

The NBA- Where "We're sorry, but you got screwed" happens.

-Casey Mullen

Lol the last quote is nice. Honestly, I think probably the only way to be heard is if people actually stop putting their money into the NBA.

If ticket sells and other NBA related purchases are significantly reduced, and it is found that it is related to these kind of behavior from the association, they would probably be forced to do something. Unfortunately, I fear that is what it would take.

Yeah I agree. A financial hit would be the only thing to move the NBA, however they are a global powerhouse and unfortunately it would only do damage to the team. I thought about not buying tickets, but at the end of the day I bought them anyway, because if I didnt, someone else would have. It'd be nice to crunch the NBA without hurting each respective team, but unfortunately it just cant be done.

quote:
Originally posted by detroit:

you guys want to end the nba because of a bad call.

This topic has been discussed for years by many people, including DET fans. An awful call raises the discussion again because it's an issue that has never been resolved.... but obviously it is not a 1 bad call issue.

No. Not end the NBA. But make them understand that they have to do SOMETHING about the current situation. What always gets peoples attention?? Start taking money out off THEIR pockets...however like I mentioned before, its not practical, so its on to plan B. Just keep bombarding their mailboxes and voicemails with our raging unhappiness. Even if the Magic came back to win the series, or lose in a sweep...either way...I am not one of those fans who forgets..however, unfortunately some are. If the Magic were to win, some fans would just forget..however I think something has to be done for the good of the league.

You had faith in the NBA? You thought the NBA had integrity?

What other league changes the rules to make defense harder to play because TV ratings were down in the playoffs? BTW, that's only happened 3 times, since the Magic have been in the league.