Sign in to follow this  
EnFuego

The Magic are better with Skip than Jameer

Meer has Nash efficiency this year. Without Meer and with Alston no way we sweep Lakers and Spurs.

Meer > Alston > all other PGs we have had since 2000.

Alston will be a GREAT back-up to Meer. We still should keep AJ or sign a much better 3rd PG. Maybe Otis will buy a PG in the draft this year since I heard its a deep PG draft (I might be wrong). Then MLE out PF.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

Looks like Brian Schmitz has been reading my posts again.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.c...is-job-open-too.html

Actually that's a lowlight.

It's been interesting to see the reaction to my thread. I usually start a thread or two every six months with what I think is a well thought out argument and I get like 5 responses so I guess you have to go out on a limb to get a discussion going.

Although I agree that this discussion is way premature (and I did say that on the OP) I also think it is premature to dismiss it. While I do agree with anyone that thinks Jameer is the better player, if the team gels with Rafer and travels far in the playoff, the discussion should be had.

It would be unfair to JAMEER to ask him to come off the bench after getting injured on an all-star season and I expect it won't even be considered. But if they are going to share minutes next year, in my opinion, a true point guard like Rafer should play with the starting unit and a scorer like Jameer should, a la Vinnie Johnson, come off the bench.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

What was our record for the first half of this season, before Jameer was injured? 36-10 prior to the Dallas game. It doesn't take a pass first PG to win in the NBA. It takes a leader. It takes a PG who can step up and do what his team needs him to do to make sure they win.

36-10. Let that sink in, then ask yourself, "Self, why am I pushing the leader of our team to the bench because of a label?" Call him a SG in a PG body, a pass first PG, call him whatever you want to make yourself feel better. results speak for themselves.

36-10

Selected to the All-Star Team

36-10

Top five PER for PG's

36-10

Career highs across the board

36-10

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

Looks like Brian Schmitz has been reading my posts again.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.c...is-job-open-too.html

Actually that's a lowlight.

It's been interesting to see the reaction to my thread. I usually start a thread or two every six months with what I think is a well thought out argument and I get like 5 responses so I guess you have to go out on a limb to get a discussion going.

Although I agree that this discussion is way premature (and I did say that on the OP) I also think it is premature to dismiss it. While I do agree with anyone that thinks Jameer is the better player, if the team gels with Rafer and travels far in the playoff, the discussion should be had.

It would be unfair to JAMEER to ask him to come off the bench after getting injured on an all-star season and I expect it won't even be considered. But if they are going to share minutes next year, in my opinion, a true point guard like Rafer should play with the starting unit and a scorer like Jameer should, a la Vinnie Johnson, come off the bench.

En Fuego I just so disagree with you on this. I am so glad we have Rafer, but come on he is not Jameer Nelson caliber. It is almost as bad as saying that Gortat needs to be considered for starting minutes over Howard, becauase Gortat has a better outside shot. Not quite that bad, but that is just crazy talk, crazy talk - you haven't been drinking have you?

Jameer is a major stud and the Magic are going to roll as Jameer rolls. Now, the Magic still can do well with Rafer, but Jameer is a stud. Rafer is good enough to be a starting point guard in this league and will be a great backup to Jameer, but this team is not better with Rafer starting over Jameer - not even close.

Do you think Brian Hill is comparable to Stan Van Gundy?

I just think you are way off here. I do like Rafer racing down the court and I do like his play and I hope he stays as a backup with us, but as I see it this shouldn't even be discussed.

We aren't going deep into the playoffs. We will likely get knocked out in the 2nd round, but we should be competitive and don't get me wrong I really like Rafer and I really like the pickup - he can play. I like Gortat as well, but I don't want him starting in front of Howard. I feel almost as strongly about Jameer and Rafer although that is an exaggeration. Jameer and Rafer are closer in ability than Howard and Gortat, but with that said I don't think it is close like you might think at all - I think it is pretty far apart and I know that Stan Van Gundy and Otis are with me on this - they both know what Jameer is capable of - they don't have any doubts.

If we get by the 2nd round in the playoffs and I don't think we do, but if we did it would be from incredible play from Howard, Hedo, Rashard, and the Rookie and similar play from Rafer. I don't see us getting by the 2nd round because Rafer goes off. If Jameer were here I could easily see us getting past the 2nd round with Jameer going off. I would expect Jameer to go off in the 2nd round without question.

Now, I am very happy with Rafer starting the rest of the year and I am happy with him as a backup. I was never a fan of Arroyo - I like Dooling better, but he had trouble dribbling out of pressure - Rafer can dribble out of pressure - so I like the pickup.

Jameer is starting, not quite yet, but he is starting to work himself into the Chris Paul, Steve Nash category - not yet, but if he continues to improve over the next few years I could see him playing at that level. Now, I am really pushing it, but he can play like Chris Paul and that kid can play. We'll just have to wait and see.