Sign in to follow this  
DonReid'sScowl

Favorite Old School Magic Players

LOL, how could I forget the Catman's pumpfakes!!!

When we were kids we would imitate him in PE and do like 8 pump fakes before firing the ball into the rim or get swatted from behind. HAHA.

I can't believe I forgot about Theus. He was our premier player in the beginning, a shame to see so many of our former heroes/players getting fired recently. (Theus, Vincent, Krystowiak, etc)

Man, Corchiani and Brooks. The crowd LOVED them so much. They would come in at the end of the game at about the 1 min. mark and the crowd would explode in a standing ovation. In mop up duty those guys HUSTLED all over the place, trying to break open for a shot, even though we were up or down by 16 pts.

They were so hungry. The rest of the guys on the court would be looking at them in kind of a comedic awe.

It sad, it kind of reminds me of how JJ is relegated to these days, probably even more so know with the emergence of Courtney.

Oh, there is much love for Darrell. I bet if you ask a fan of over 10 yrs to list his faves, Armstrong is on it.

That guy was so clutch, when he came into games he would turn the momentum of one game ALL BY HIMSELF. It was truly amazing! To see us down bigtime against teams, Adubato/Daly would call a TO to bring in DA and he would make a steal, take it to the hoop, get fouled HARD, and then make the free throw. Then fight hard on the inbound causing havoc all the way up court on the opposing PG.

I'll never forget his bench performances in the 97 playoffs against the Heat, when we had a true rivalry going. He almost single handily took us back against Miami. I believe that's when he came into is own.

I was living in Tallahassee at the time, and me and my roommates were jumping up and down so loud that our neighbor came upstairs to find out what was going on!

I truly haven't been that excited for this team since 90-97, but I think something special is brewing here in Otown and my excitement level is coming back. I find myself looking at the schedule weeks in advance and watching every game on TV.

quote:
Originally posted by DonReid'sScowl:

Man, Corchiani and Brooks. The crowd LOVED them so much.

It wasn't the same kind of love they have for JJ. It was tainted by a desire to crack 110 points and get a free Big Mac. I think Literial Green was the most popular player on the team one season. He had a special knack of making the big shots that got magic fans that hamburger with special sauce.