Jump to content
jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, ML6 said:

 

2) The dichotomy between news of interviewing the first legitimate female NBA coaching candidate, followed immediately by news of interviewing Kidd, a domestic abuser.

 

I hadn't considered this but it's a great point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I hadn't considered this but it's a great point.

I mean, if you’ve paid any attention at all to the DeVos family, you know how this is probably gonna play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It depends what you mean by 'best prospects'. Coaches who have already had success as Head Coaches in the NBA may not want to come here. But a lot of less experienced coaches will see the young roster as a long leash which will allow them to grow and develop with the players. Like Brett Brown did in Philly. 

Maybe.  On the other hand, a Vogel can rebound from some bad years with us because he’s an established NBA coach. A coach getting their first coaching job with us may never get another offer if they have a record way below .500 over 2-3 years.  People who want to advance in their careers have to consider stuff like that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Maybe.  On the other hand, a Vogel can rebound from some bad years with us because he’s an established NBA coach. A coach getting their first coaching job with us may never get another offer if they have a record way below .500 over 2-3 years.  People who want to advance in their careers have to consider stuff like that.  

I feel like Frank Vogel is a terrible example to use here. He went from coaching Mario Hezonja and Elfrid Payton to LeBron James and Anthony Davis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ML6 said:

It really doesn't make sense on any level.

1) Kidd has been underwhelming (generous) to bad (more accurate) as a head coach.

2) The dichotomy between news of interviewing the first legitimate female NBA coaching candidate, followed immediately by news of interviewing Kidd, a domestic abuser.

3) The Magic's predilection for "high character guys" over recent years -- Kidd has a publicized DUI, a career littered with rumors successful and unsuccessful coups against coaches and front office members, and the aforementioned domestic violence plea.

4) Specific rumors of Kidd being on the precipice of taking over Hammond's job in MIL and Hammond being fired or reassigned to another position.  Admittedly, I think the credibility of this report must be lacking if the Magic truly do interview Kidd -- I cannot imagine Hammond doing that if Kidd truly tried to overthrow him.

 

I truly don't think I have seen one positive reaction from a Magic fan about the Kidd news.  It is universally disliked.  It would be the ultimate tone deaf hire, and while I am grossed out about him even getting an interview, I don't believe they are actually dumb enough to hire him.

My preference is Atkinson or VanterPool and I will trust the Magic brass (unless it is Hammon who has not shown any success in developing players and will be hired because she is a woman and an appeal to LBGT)  but here is why Kidd will make sense

#1.  If hired we will know the Hammond stuff was all false

#2.  As a point guard he can pass on valuable information to what is now becoming the most important position PG (good play here the fastest way to get out of a rebuild).

#3.  Still highly respected in the NBA with all the negative stuff and if true at all the experiment with "high character" guys has not worked anyway.

#4.  The fact that he is interested is positive news that someone like him  (who turned down Portland) would consider us and our roster.

#5.  I trust this organization to make the right hire.  I have been critical of their lack of moves in the past but they are on a roll now (#1 pick would top it off) with lots of draft picks, trading pieces,  and potentially future salary cap money if needed.  I look at this current roster, with hopefully two of the top  8 picks (#1 and #8 would work for me), and I see 8 top 10 picks ( I count Okeke and Anthony as "should" have been top 10 picks.)   That is a pretty incredible array of talent to work with.  

I still think we should take a gamble and wait to hire until after the lottery.  If we get lucky and get the #1 pick I imagine the interest in being head coach would skyrocket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

My preference is Atkinson or VanterPool and I will trust the Magic brass (unless it is Hammon who has not shown any success in developing players and will be hired because she is a woman and an appeal to LBGT)  but here is why Kidd will make sense

#1.  If hired we will know the Hammond stuff was all false

#2.  As a point guard he can pass on valuable information to what is now becoming the most important position PG (good play here the fastest way to get out of a rebuild).

#3.  Still highly respected in the NBA with all the negative stuff and if true at all the experiment with "high character" guys has not worked anyway.

#4.  The fact that he is interested is positive news that someone like him  (who turned down Portland) would consider us and our roster.

#5.  I trust this organization to make the right hire.  I have been critical of their lack of moves in the past but they are on a roll now (#1 pick would top it off) with lots of draft picks, trading pieces,  and potentially future salary cap money if needed.  I look at this current roster, with hopefully two of the top  8 picks (#1 and #8 would work for me), and I see 8 top 10 picks ( I count Okeke and Anthony as "should" have been top 10 picks.)   That is a pretty incredible array of talent to work with.  

I still think we should take a gamble and wait to hire until after the lottery.  If we get lucky and get the #1 pick I imagine the interest in being head coach would skyrocket!

Hammon is an incredibly well respected coach. Dismissing her as a diversity hire is inappropriate. 

Meanwhile you just hand waive away the fact that Kidd is a known abuser and drunk driver by saying 'high character guys haven't worked out' which is a clear correlation =/= causation thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I feel like Frank Vogel is a terrible example to use here. He went from coaching Mario Hezonja and Elfrid Payton to LeBron James and Anthony Davis 

True.  But a young coaching prospect with no track record as a head coach will be judged harshly for a strongly losing record, even if their talent is inferior.  So while someone like Vogel who is a known quantity gets another chance with much better talent, a young prospect with a terrible record after a couple of years of Hezonja and Payton might not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol... The two candidates who we know are interviewing don’t seem to be sparking excitement in the fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think Unseld could be a good coach. Being on an unsuccessful staff doesn't mean he's a bad coach. Being an unsuccessful head coach previously doesn't even necessarily preclude someone from being the right hire. Borrego isn't doing a bad job in Charlotte. Vaughn seems to be well respected in Brooklyn. Malone was fired in Sacramento and has done a solid job in Denver. Etc.

(Which I guess is an argument for Kidd being a better coach now but still no thanks.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Lol... The two candidates who we know are interviewing don’t seem to be sparking excitement in the fan base. 

Are you referencing Hammon & Kidd (before the Unseld news broke)?

If so, I have seen near universal rejection of Kidd and what feels like ~70%+ approval for Hammon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×