Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2020-21 NBA Playoff Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, crisby pancakes said:

FO hands are tied because of Dame. He won't allow them to trade McCollum and would almost certainly likely request a trade if they did so don't see what firing the FO would do. When over 60% of your capspace is tied down to 2 players because your star wants to play with his bestie then it leaves them having to be super creative with the remainder of the roster.

If Dame wants to keep losing in the first round with CJ then fair enough. But maybe new voices could convince Dame that if he wants to win they need to make changes.

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

If Dame wants to keep losing in the first round with CJ then fair enough. But maybe new voices could convince Dame that if he wants to win they need to make changes.

Maybe they could but I don't think he will listen. Feels like another Francis/Mobley situation which as Orlando fans we know too well with what happened when we split them up.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Seeing Booker blowup is tough because he wanted to be in Orlando. Perhaps Jalen Green can bring that same kind of nasty to O-Town.

It's even worse when you think that the person we drafted is already out the league. FO really set back the franchise over those 18 months.

Drafted Hezonja and Marble

Signed CJ Watson to a multi year deal that we had to then stretch to get rid. (I had wanted him for years lol how wrong was I)

Traded away Harris for Ilyasova and Jennings

Traded Oladipo and Sabonis for Ibaka at the end of the season as well. Then went and signed Jeff Green and Biyombo and traded Marble plus an additional 2nd round pick for CJ Wilcox who we then waived 8 months later.

1 hour ago, crisby pancakes said:

It's even worse when you think that the person we drafted is already out the league. FO really set back the franchise over those 18 months.

Drafted Hezonja and Marble

Signed CJ Watson to a multi year deal that we had to then stretch to get rid. (I had wanted him for years lol how wrong was I)

Traded away Harris for Ilyasova and Jennings

Traded Oladipo and Sabonis for Ibaka at the end of the season as well. Then went and signed Jeff Green and Biyombo and traded Marble plus an additional 2nd round pick for CJ Wilcox who we then waived 8 months later.

I'm just gonna quote this because this is 100% the kind of moves a losing franchise does over and over again. Let's hope the Magic get lucky in this draft because i still do not believe the newer front office is any smarter then the last regime.

Case in point, in r/nba there was a post about how deep the 2018 draft was. So i read all the names in the thread and googled the draft to remind myself.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2018.html

It really was one of the better drafts of the new millennium. And we got Bamba and Frazier. Look how many useful players were taken in that draft. Seems like at least 10 were in the playoffs this year! And we had Bamba who couldn't even get 5 minutes a game here. Even worse look at the players right around where we took  Frazier. Carter,Brunson,GRAHAM,TRENT JR,Mitchell Robinson and farther down, Brown,Shake Milton ,Melton all useful players and we got a **** sandwhich back in 2018.

SMDH.

I had to edit since i'm beating a dead horse. Imagine if you will, that we had lost that last game to Washington, and had the 3rd pick in that draft.

I can easily imagine our GM still drafting Bamba that day. Knowing what kind of players they like. In some ways they completely failed in 2018, but still have jobs because of ping pong balls. If they had picked Bamba 3rd they would have been fired already, just like the Kings front office.

3rd edit.

Obviously this draft makes me a little crazy. If our front office is so brilliant drafting a hurt Chuma to sit out a year, why didn't they do the same thing with Michael Porter Jr? Remember that draft MPJ was considered a top 5 talent, teams were just worried about his injury. Is not hyperbole to say MPJ was kind of like Embiid. Embiid was a slam dunk to be the number 1 guy his draft based on talent alone, but went 3rd because of his injury worries. MPJ was at the time of the draft considered one of the most offensively gifted, NBA ready prospects since Tatum. And when he came back after sitting, he was! Guy had an NBA ready jumpshot during his rookie year!

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

It really was one of the better drafts of the new millennium. And we got Bamba and Frazier. Look how many useful players were taken in that draft. Seems like at least 10 were in the playoffs this year! And we had Bamba who couldn't even get 5 minutes a game here. Even worse look at the players right around where we took  Frazier. Carter,Brunson,GRAHAM,TRENT JR,Mitchell Robinson and farther down, Brown,Shake Milton ,Melton all useful players and we got a **** sandwhich back in 2018.

IIRC, didnt our management say that there was much in that draft or something - Or that the talent leveled off? We did trade the 40th and 41st picks that year anyways.

40th from a previous trade (made earlier)

Just now, Natesroom said:

IIRC, didnt our management say that there was much in that draft or something - Or that the talent leveled off? We did trade the 40th and 41st picks that year anyways.

No it was 2017 when they said that. When they traded the 25th pick in the first round for a future 1st. 

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

No it was 2017 when they said that. When they traded the 25th pick in the first round for a future 1st. 

Yeah beefed that to...

Kyle kuzma 27

Josh Hart

Frank Mason

Frank Jackson (3pt shooter)

Semi Ojeleye

Thomas Bryant

Dillon Brooks

Monte Morris

Would have been nice to trade up package anything for

Og Anunoby, Bam Adabayo, Donovan Mitchell, John Collins

I mean cant be mad we ended up with the #1 and #6 pick from that year, lol

17 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Yeah beefed that to...

Kyle kuzma 27

Josh Hart

Frank Mason

Semi Ojeleye

Thomas Bryant

Dillon Brooks

Monte Morris

We traded that pick for a future pick that we traded for Markelle Fultz and I wouldn't trade Fultz for anyone who was picked 25 onwards personally.

Well Stotts is out in Portland but apparently Dame wants Jason Kidd to replace him which is not the type of thing I had in mind when I suggest they get a new coach.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Well Stotts is out in Portland but apparently Dame wants Jason Kidd to replace him which is not the type of thing I had in mind when I suggest they get a new coach.

Stotts and Stevens both being out as coaches will force the timeline a bit of other teams considering making a move. Rumor mill right now is Chauncey Billups to Boston and Jason Kidd to Portland. I don’t see how Kidd makes Portland better, always thought he’s been super overrated as a coach personally.

Also, I like Stotts quite a bit, good coach and good man, curious to see where he lands.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 12:33 PM, Natesroom said:

Yeah beefed that to...

Kyle kuzma 27

Josh Hart

Frank Mason

Semi Ojeleye

Thomas Bryant

Dillon Brooks

Monte Morris

Of your list, I think only Morris, Brooks and maybe Hart were misses, all those other guys are barely hangin on to a spot. Agreed about being active earlier though, not making moves for Mitchell and/or SGA still haunt me.