Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

OFFICIAL GAME THREAD - Magic @ 76ers - Sunday, May 16, 2021

Not a bad little loss there at all, like Cole's scoring prowess, who gives if he has a couple of bad facilitator games. Did he show something? Damn right he did. 

I'm going to box score watch the OKC game instead of working lol.

• Upvote 1

Anthony with 6 turnovers to 2 assists while chucking up 25 shots.  We’ve seen a pattern developing towards the end of this season where he facilitated more and more poorly.  Given that he’s supposed to be a point guard it’s definitely something to be concerned about.  It’s the kind of negative development I worry about when the team stops caring about winning and everyone focuses on their own stats.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Anthony with 6 turnovers to 2 assists while chucking up 25 shots.  We’ve seen a pattern developing towards the end of this season where he facilitated more and more poorly.  Given that he’s supposed to be a point guard it’s definitely something to be concerned about.  It’s the kind of negative development I worry about when the team stops caring about winning and everyone focuses on their own stats.  

I agree. 

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

^This. I saw that last in the box score at the end of the game.

I kept posting during the game that Cole was not passing the ball and was determined to make every shot while the ball was in his hands.

There is nothing positive about his scoring a lot of points and not allowing his teammate to help (team basketball). If Cole does that next season and he gets injured, who will pick up the slack (if Markelle is not ready to go).

31 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

^This. I saw that last in the box score at the end of the game.

I kept posting during the game that Cole was not passing the ball and was determined to make every shot while the ball was in his hands.

There is nothing positive about his scoring a lot of points and not allowing his teammate to help (team basketball). If Cole does that next season and he gets injured, who will pick up the slack (if Markelle is not ready to go).

And I don’t believe it’s something that can be turned on and off easily.  It’s not like:  “We’re tanking now so go ahead and hog the ball but next year start passing “.  Becoming a good facilitator takes time, practice, and a specific mindset.  All of those aspects of his development have gone backwards in the “tank phase” of this season.  

37 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

And I don’t believe it’s something that can be turned on and off easily.  It’s not like:  “We’re tanking now so go ahead and hog the ball but next year start passing “.  Becoming a good facilitator takes time, practice, and a specific mindset.  All of those aspects of his development have gone backwards in the “tank phase” of this season.  

5 of the 7 top assist games in Cole's career happened in April and the "tank phase" of the season.

Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving had low assist, high turnover games as rookies but they worked out fine (for the record I don't believe Cole will ever be as good as Dame or Kyrie they're just examples of score first PGs I thought of to check). 

Also looking at someone's boxscore assists and turnovers doesn't give an accurate reflection of their development as a playmaker because so much of that is about context. I didn't watch the game but maybe he didn't get assists because guys missed shots, or because Philly stayed home in the pick and roll and let Cole beat them, or because Philly disrupted a lot of the actions that would lead to easy assists, or any number of other reasons. 

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

The day isn’t complete until you bring up or blame something or other on “tanking”. What in the hell will you talk about once we start making the playoffs regularly? You believe we tanked and you don’t like it. We get it. Enough already