Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

What do y’all think it would take for us (hypothetically) to trade the Bulls pick? I’m not so much suggesting that we do, but if we keep it we’re gonna have 5 rookie or sophomore players on an already very young team.

I don’t think it would be difficult to move the pick at all, especially considering picks seem to have higher value on draft night. I could see us using the Bulls pick to try and move up a slot or two depending on where we wind up after the draft lottery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gobucsmagic said:

If healthy and with a top 4 pick we’re fighting for a playoff spot next season 

I appreciate your take, and I hope you're right.  I don't think that's likely myself but I would gladly admit to being wrong on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gobucsmagic said:

I don’t think it would be difficult to move the pick at all, especially considering picks seem to have higher value on draft night. I could see us using the Bulls pick to try and move up a slot or two depending on where we wind up after the draft lottery. 

I can also see them moving the pick with a player to gather more flexibility in the future. Don't want that to happen, but it's very possible. Let's say we really do get to pick number 1 or 2 and take Cade or Green, two potential studs, at least for now. It would definitely make it easier for them to make a move for vets that fit better. So far it's pretty obvious they would like to keep and develop Cole,Chuma and Hampton. Adding 2 high draft picks to 3 sophomores might be too much for certain Gm's. Getting 1 of the top  3 guys would soften the public relations hit  of moving the pick. In fact it might be the best thing to do depending on how the roster shapes up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gobucsmagic said:

Injuries made the team terrible, and it was time to move on from Vuc, Ag, Fournier. There was no master plan coming in to tank the season as you continue to try and frame it 

I know there was no master plan to tank the season and I've already agreed with moving on from the three you mention.  I don't like tanking at any point but that is now water under the bridge.  Let's hope we get a great draft pick and I'm proved wrong about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

You are exactly right! We had devastating injuries and it was definitely time to move on from the guys that couldn't get us past 1 win in the1st round and put a more competitive team together. Adding in 2 top 10 picks in a strong draft will put us in a great position to field a young, high energy team that has a future. If we can have 7 guys that consistently have the same fight as Cole and RJ have we are gonna be a dangerous team!

We'll see.  We were equally excited about our young, high energy team with high draft picks 8-10 years ago and we know how that worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

We'll see.  We were equally excited about our young, high energy team with high draft picks 8-10 years ago and we know how that worked out.

I think the focus on Elfrid Payton had a ton to do with the failure - we kept trying to build around him. There have been some questionable player evaluations done, and some of it goes to the upper management trying to rush the young team and making hasty/ill-thought out trades rather than let guys develop. But hey, hopefully that is water under the bridge, and maybe Alex Martins has finally learned to keep his hand out of the cookie jar. We will see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I appreciate your take, and I hope you're right.  I don't think that's likely myself but I would gladly admit to being wrong on this.

I think Fultz/Cade or Green/Okeke/Issac/Carter with Cole/Hampton/Ross/whoever/Bamba off the bench could win 37-40 games if we stay healthy. I may be wildly overvaluing out talent, but getting Fultz and Issac back will be huge for us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think the focus on Elfrid Payton had a ton to do with the failure - we kept trying to build around him. There have been some questionable player evaluations done, and some of it goes to the upper management trying to rush the young team and making hasty/ill-thought out trades rather than let guys develop. But hey, hopefully that is water under the bridge, and maybe Alex Martins has finally learned to keep his hand out of the cookie jar. We will see. 

I still get sick thinking about us trading Oladipo because we banked on Evan being a better fit next to  Payton, trading Harris for Jennings, and having that godawful 4/5 rotation of Vuch, Biyombo, and Ibaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

I still get sick thinking about us trading Oladipo because we banked on Evan being a better fit next to  Payton, trading Harris for Jennings, and having that godawful 4/5 rotation of Vuch, Biyombo, and Ibaka

Throw in the fact that we included the rights to Domantas Sabonis with Oladipo, and it looks even worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

I still get sick thinking about us trading Oladipo because we banked on Evan being a better fit next to  Payton, trading Harris for Jennings, and having that godawful 4/5 rotation of Vuch, Biyombo, and Ibaka

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Throw in the fact that we included the rights to Domantas Sabonis with Oladipo, and it looks even worse. 

Even at the time every NBA writer and all the guys on tv were wondering what the heck the Magic's gm was doing. He traded the highest drafted player we had during our rebuild for Ibaka and spent the  biggest cap space we had in years on Biyombo  and Jeff Green, don't forget about him. And gave Presti that pick that became Sabonis. Every expert agreed the pick was way too much for a player that could leave at the end of the year. So weird, he killed our cap space, drafted two complete busts and traded away two future all stars. Kept the wrong forward and then immediately got his old job back at OKC. It's a miracle we made the playoffs later on.

What makes it even stranger is we made the Playoffs almost entirely because players Henny acquired had career years. Vucevic,Evan,DJ and Ross. And here is the scary part. Going to point something out but brace yourselves, it's terrible when you think about it. All of the most important players acquired by Hammond have played in less then half of their games with the Magic.

Except Cole, just checked he played 47 out of 72 this year. Chuma played in 45 games but i'm counting last year even though it's not official. Isaac,Fultz,Bamba and Aminu. These guys along with Cole and Chuma are the major additions made by Hammond and Weltman. Combined it's staggering the amount of games missed by all 6 of them. Hopefully our luck changes this coming year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Even at the time every NBA writer and all the guys on tv were wondering what the heck the Magic's gm was doing. He traded the highest drafted player we had during our rebuild for Ibaka and spent the  biggest cap space we had in years on Biyombo  and Jeff Green, don't forget about him. And gave Presti that pick that became Sabonis. Every expert agreed the pick was way too much for a player that could leave at the end of the year. So weird, he killed our cap space, drafted two complete busts and traded away two future all stars. Kept the wrong forward and then immediately got his old job back at OKC. It's a miracle we made the playoffs later on.

What makes it even stranger is we made the Playoffs almost entirely because players Henny acquired had career years. Vucevic,Evan,DJ and Ross. And here is the scary part. Going to point something out but brace yourselves, it's terrible when you think about it. All of the most important players acquired by Hammond have played in less then half of their games with the Magic.

Except Cole, just checked he played 47 out of 72 this year. Chuma played in 45 games but i'm counting last year even though it's not official. Isaac,Fultz,Bamba and Aminu. These guys along with Cole and Chuma are the major additions made by Hammond and Weltman. Combined it's staggering the amount of games missed by all 6 of them. Hopefully our luck changes this coming year.

That trade becomes even more suspect when you know that Rob Hennigan came from the Thunder and then got a job back with the Thunder after he left us. 

And OKC basically turned those guys (Oladipo and Sabonis) into Paul George. Which they then turned into SGA and a bunch of draft picks. 

I hate Rob Hennigan (which is weird because for the first like 2 years I was fully on board with his moves but everything after Skiles became the coach - a decision I think a lot of us probably thought he didn't really make - was terrible)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×