Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

"Tropic Thunder" - A Review

So, since Groupee kept me off the boards much of yesterday afternoon, I decided to take an extended lunch break and saw "Tropic Thunder" along with a co-worker.

I had been anticipating this movie just as much as the two other recent comedies, "Step Brothers" and "Pineapple Express." Those movies didn't disappoint, so I was hoping for the trifecta. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

You rarely see a movie studio shell out 100 million for a comedy. In this case, they used all of it and you can see it on screen. The amount of action, explosions, and "big" scenes in this movie compare very favorably to the typical big-budget war movies that "Tropic Thunder" spoofs.

You'd figure that if you throw Ben Stiller and Jack Black into a movie together, the laughs would take care of themselves. Those two are definitely funny in this movie. Ben Stiller plays a slight variation of his slightly-lost straight man character he has played in movies like "There's Something About Mary" and the two "Meet the Parents" movies. But he also gets to ham it up as odd-ball characters such as those he portrayed in "Zoolander" and "Dodgeball." As for Jack Black, other than the obvious Eddie Murphy rip-off, he is pretty much in Tazmanian Devil mode throughout the film (and yes, that's a good thing.).

In my opinion, the best laughs in this film come from four rather unexpected sources: Robert Downey Jr. (playing Russell Crowe playing a Southern African-American sergeant), Danny McBride (who was AWESOME as the middle-man drug dealer in "Pineapple Express" who knows how to take a bullet of three), - and these two will surprise you - Matthew McConaughy and Tom Cruise.

Matthew McConaughy and Tom Cruise play an agent and a studio executive, respectively. Let me just say, it is refreshing to see two guys who are typically headlining romantic comedies or action films take on lesser against-type roles in a low-brow comedy. In the case of Tom Cruise, well, he pretty much steals the show. Considering the beatings he has taken recently for his Scientology antics and for turning Joey Potter into a man, Cruise really impressed me with his ability to not take himself so seriously. After this movie, we may no longer be able to say that "Risky Business" contains Tom Cruise's best dance scene.

As for the plot...well, there isn't much plot to get in the way of the story. The trailers pretty much tell you all you need to know. The movie depicts the filming of a movie based on a book written by a Vietnam veteran. But pretty soon life begins imitating art imitating life.

But you don't go see a low-brow comedy for the plot, you go for the laughs. Despite the bigger budget and the bigger scope, "Tropic Thunder" has almost as many easy, potty-humor jokes and gags as either "Step Brothers" or "Pineapple Express." It might take me another viewing or two of each film to determine which is the funniest, but "Tropic Thunder" definitely jacks up the "cool" quotient and is much more polished and slick.

Unfortunately, there are no cameo appearances from the typical "Frat Pack" crowd - Owen and Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, etc. But there are quite a few star cameos in the film, which I won't give away. Also, don't worry about staying through the credits...there is no bonus scene.

If you enjoyed the other two films I mentioned, or typically enjoy Ben Stiller films, then "Tropic Thunder" should be on your entertainment schedule for the weekend. And when you go, make sure you head to the concession stand for a bottle of Booty Sweat.

So, since Groupee kept me off the boards much of yesterday afternoon, I decided to take an extended lunch break and saw "Tropic Thunder" along with a co-worker.

I had been anticipating this movie just as much as the two other recent comedies, "Step Brothers" and "Pineapple Express." Those movies didn't disappoint, so I was hoping for the trifecta. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

You rarely see a movie studio shell out 100 million for a comedy. In this case, they used all of it and you can see it on screen. The amount of action, explosions, and "big" scenes in this movie compare very favorably to the typical big-budget war movies that "Tropic Thunder" spoofs.

You'd figure that if you throw Ben Stiller and Jack Black into a movie together, the laughs would take care of themselves. Those two are definitely funny in this movie. Ben Stiller plays a slight variation of his slightly-lost straight man character he has played in movies like "There's Something About Mary" and the two "Meet the Parents" movies. But he also gets to ham it up as odd-ball characters such as those he portrayed in "Zoolander" and "Dodgeball." As for Jack Black, other than the obvious Eddie Murphy rip-off, he is pretty much in Tazmanian Devil mode throughout the film (and yes, that's a good thing.).

In my opinion, the best laughs in this film come from four rather unexpected sources: Robert Downey Jr. (playing Russell Crowe playing a Southern African-American sergeant), Danny McBride (who was AWESOME as the middle-man drug dealer in "Pineapple Express" who knows how to take a bullet of three), - and these two will surprise you - Matthew McConaughy and Tom Cruise.

Matthew McConaughy and Tom Cruise play an agent and a studio executive, respectively. Let me just say, it is refreshing to see two guys who are typically headlining romantic comedies or action films take on lesser against-type roles in a low-brow comedy. In the case of Tom Cruise, well, he pretty much steals the show. Considering the beatings he has taken recently for his Scientology antics and for turning Joey Potter into a man, Cruise really impressed me with his ability to not take himself so seriously. After this movie, we may no longer be able to say that "Risky Business" contains Tom Cruise's best dance scene.

As for the plot...well, there isn't much plot to get in the way of the story. The trailers pretty much tell you all you need to know. The movie depicts the filming of a movie based on a book written by a Vietnam veteran. But pretty soon life begins imitating art imitating life.

But you don't go see a low-brow comedy for the plot, you go for the laughs. Despite the bigger budget and the bigger scope, "Tropic Thunder" has almost as many easy, potty-humor jokes and gags as either "Step Brothers" or "Pineapple Express." It might take me another viewing or two of each film to determine which is the funniest, but "Tropic Thunder" definitely jacks up the "cool" quotient and is much more polished and slick.

Unfortunately, there are no cameo appearances from the typical "Frat Pack" crowd - Owen and Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, etc. But there are quite a few star cameos in the film, which I won't give away. Also, don't worry about staying through the credits...there is no bonus scene.

If you enjoyed the other two films I mentioned, or typically enjoy Ben Stiller films, then "Tropic Thunder" should be on your entertainment schedule for the weekend. And when you go, make sure you head to the concession stand for a bottle of Booty Sweat.

This is one of the funniest movies of the summer. I also saw Step Brothers and Pineapple Express and I really liked them both, and this is right up there. I also agree that Robert Downey Jr. and McBride were hilarious in the film.

Danny McBride has been one of my favorite actors since I saw the low budget comedy the Foot Fist Way (It was re-released after Will Ferrells production team picked it up and it is playing in select theaters). His improv is amazing. Here is a link to his Conan O'brien appearance where he is in character the whole time:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1b0653c31c

Good to hear another flick is worth watching!

Especially after suffering through Jack Black's "Nacho Libre" I was a little scared of this one.

This movie had some dull sretches but overall it was very funny. I agree with LOD that Downey Jr, McConaughy, and Cruise were the funniest in the film.

Tropic Thunder is definitely worth the watch.

I honestly thought it was short on the laughs. Cruise was the best part of the film, but I really thought it would be funnier than it was.

I give it a C

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

I give it a C

I don't know what grade to give it, I only know the sound my laugh makes when I'm watching it.

Well im glad you enjoyed it. I just didnt find it that funny. There were some moments but overall I was disappointed. My better half was as well.