Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Kyler says Griz want Fran & 1st for Crit:Wallace responds(pg.5) - Kyler responds(pg.6

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I

So "the player" is not even good enough to get any real minutes on his Euro team, plus is not good enough to make Spain's Olympic team.

But "the unproven player" has spent time in the NBA demonstrating his skills, with the only question now being how high is his upside.

That is the greatest distortion of an argument that can possibly be made, so if that is Otis' stand then he is a bigger moron than even SAC thinks he is.

Valid!!!!! This deal should get done based upon these unquestionable facts alone!!!!! By the way, we need to build another PG of the future, and this would cancel all of the Reese Gains and Jerryl Sasser nightmares!!!!!!!!!

quote:

I was told that that Otis isn't buying because we would be giving up 3 assets in this deal.

1.) A pick

2.) A player

3.) To make the salaries match we would have to use our trade exception.

Would you still do it knowing that they get 3 assets and we get 1 unproven player?

I thought that the exception could not be packaged and had to be done in seperate trades so it was by itself.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Thought #1: Killing you nailed this one in a post 2 days ago, so kudos to you.

All the credit goes to my friend below. You can't shut Chris Wallace up after his 2nd glass!

LOL. Maybe you should have shown a picture of the size of the glass, too.

A talkative drunk? Didn't know such a thing existed...

I think you need to ask how much playing time this kid would recieve when your discussing a trade. I think a first rounder might be to much for somebody that at best will be the back up point guard but most likely will be third on the depth chart and lord knows he won't find anytime at shooting guard.

If this really comes down to Fran and a future 1st for J-Critt then Otis needs to stop bartering and pull the friggin' trigger before someone else swoops in and gets him.

Otis should think of it as drafting Javaris Crittenton with a late first round pick, only a year early.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

If this really comes down to Fran and a future 1st for J-Critt then Otis needs to stop bartering and pull the friggin' trigger before someone else swoops in and gets him.

Otis should think of it as drafting Javaris Crittenton with a late first round pick, only a year early.

This trade scenerio would have to be approved by the NBA, because we are trading a players hold spot, and not an actual salary or player for a player that is already playing here and is actually getting paid to be here.

This is probably the reason for the hold up...

The NBA sometimes is picky on trading an actual salary for a player that may never come over(a percieved salary), it is kind of a way to circumvent the cap... So it must be handled on a case by case basis....

quote:
Originally posted by NotByChoice:

I think you need to ask how much playing time this kid would recieve when your discussing a trade. I think a first rounder might be to much for somebody that at best will be the back up point guard but most likely will be third on the depth chart and lord knows he won't find anytime at shooting guard.

Nothing incorrect about your assesment but then you should also ask yourself how much playing time that future first rounder will get.

Unless our team colapses, we'll be drafting in the later stages of the first round where the same question would be asked of anyone we draft.

There is a small element of risk, but I would make the move.

I doubt if we trade Fran rights. Otis thinks very highly of him, that why we didn't go after no bigs. Otis believe he's coming over next year to be pair next to D12. If it was up to me his rights will be fax up to Memphis ASAP.

quote:

LOL. Maybe you should have shown a picture of the size of the glass, too.

A talkative drunk? Didn't know such a thing existed...

Truth be told I was inspired by the movie, The Firm. I bugged his house, chased him around Mud Island with an albino man, and hired Gary Busey as a PI.

When all that failed, I seduced him. That's where things went terribly off script. I guess I went to the bathroom when Elron Hubbard sent his wife to perform that task. That bit of info would have been useful.

Who knew he could drink two bottles of Cristal without passing out?

Now I can't sit down and Wilford Brimley is sitting outside my house in a blacked out sedan.

These are the lengths I go to for you guys...

In the end I'm left with just one thought...Why couldn't Gene Hackman be the GM of the Griz?

PS, apologies for name dropping, but inquiring minds wanted to know how I came about this info

quote:

quote:

The Memphis Game:

The Memphis Grizzlies are the lone team in the NBA sitting on a meaningful amount of cap space, more than $14.6 million in space to be exact. The NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement requires every team to spend at least 75% of the salary cap, and that exactly where the Grizzlies are sitting right now, and do not look to be moving off that number any time soon. The Grizzlies roster actually looks pretty good on paper, and maybe that will generate some buzz for the Grizz at the box office, because the team is getting absolutely killed financially in Memphis.

So much so that almost every expert in the league believes if the situation does not improve soon, Michael Heisley may try to move the team again. Somewhere in Vancouver there is a great giggle resonating through the Great White North. Heisley has tried to sell the team before, and found that after close examination of the books and the business that the Grizz are more than just a loser on the floor, killing the value. The Grizzlies got run pretty badly for trading Pau Gasol to the Lakers for virtually nothing, but the move was not about basketball, the move was entirely about getting the Grizzlies to the minimum NBA salary.

The Grizzlies have been exploring ways to get even further below the minimum salary number; such as trading Javaris Crittenton to Orlando for Fran Vasquez's rights and a future draft pick. Vasquez counts against the cap and the NBA minimum, but no dollars have to be paid out. The Grizz were also said to be exploring ways to get a hold of Nenad Krstic before he opted for Europe in a similar cost cutting move, get his rights let him walk to Europe, get an additional $2 million off the books. It's fair to say the Grizzlies do not need to spend any money as their roster is set, but when you wonder why Memphis is not moving with its cap space, it's for a lot of reasons not about basketball.

If any business experts could help me. If this trade were to happen, would we have to include our trade exception to make the deal? I know Fran has been saying he wants to come over now. Does everyone realize he is on the last year of his contract?

Anyway, if we have to include the trade exception that would mean the Griz would receive 3 assetts. Correct?

Surely we could work something out with them to acquire him!

Thoughts?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9646

I say send Fran packing - please - I don't want her playing for the Magic after she bailed - toss her. The question is do you take Javaris instead of a 24 - 28 pick in the draft?

Javaris has what 2 years left then we would have to resign him - would we be able to keep him.

For sure include Fran - would be nice to try and give up a 2nd if they would go for that, but I would go for this deal if Crittenton has real upside - I'm not sure how good Crittenton really is.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

If that is true, then this deal should have been done yesterday. If Fran f'in Vasquez is a sticking point for any trade I am going to lose it.

I think the first round pick is the sticking point.

If you give up Fran and a 2nd and even the trade exception (would that be necessary - the TE?) then you can still maneuver to get a PF.

You could trade JJ and Cook or JJ and Bogans along with a 1st round pick to get a guy like Collison, Wilcox, Evans or the like that could be a true contributor.

If you give up a first with the Crittenton trade it would be tough giving up 2 first round picks in the off season to improve the team and to save salary by having a rookie guaranteed contract.

Interesting though that Fran could count against the cap for a team like Memphis with them not having to pay out money - that actually makes Fran an asset and if she ever did come over she would come over at the rookie salary. Interesting.