Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Trade discussion thread between Magic/Memphis Forum members

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I love the people who keep saying a 20 year old will never be a true PG.

He is a VERY good ballhandler who like all 20 year old's, has a lot to learn. Especially considering PG is the hardest position to learn in the NBA. His size, ballhandling skills, age/upside, and ability to attack the rim make him worth the gamble.

I've never seen a guy who wasn't a natural PG become one. EVER. When one proves me wrong, I might start believing in the possibility.

I think Chauncey Billups has improved more than any other PG I've ever seen by an incredibly wide margin, but he's never been confused with a true facilitator like Deron Williams either & his PG play has regressed again.

I think it's as natural as athleticism.

Agreed. I mean, the fact is that if everything goes perfectly for him, he turns into a poor man's Chauncey, which I don't think is what we need given the roster around him. And I'm inclined to believe the Grizz fans who have seen way, way more of him than us as to whether he can even turn into that. And they don't seem all that hopeful. Much like there's a reason JJ is the odd man out here, there's a reason Critt is the odd man out in Memphis. Whether it's because there's flaws there that we don't see which make him less than an NBA player, or it's just a matter of fit, who knows. But even if it it is a matter of fit, I don't think that's alleviated here. We just drafted a 6'5 possible combo guard who's a good defender.

All that said, if they want to take Bogans and a 2nd, I'm up for taking a shot. But considering what I've heard from the Grizz fans, giving up a first for him seems to be a bit of a stretch given what we actually need.

Actually for the longest time, I believe everyone though Kyle Lowry was the odd man out. It was said that Denver wanted him and our 28th pick for Kleiza and their 20th pick. After those rumors, I believed most Memphians jumped on the bandwagon of giving Kyle up. But now there is interest in J. Critt, so I think we are on that bandwagon to get rid of him now. To make a long story short, either point guard may be traded for someone we could use on the floor immediately as a backup either at the 2 or the 4 spot on our roster.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

it would seem from what the memphis fans are saying...that bogans would be a better player for them. not to mention he is an expiring deal that will put them 3 more million under the cap.

i am not as concerned about javaris' pg production as some. he would only need to be a contributor for us, much like dooling-who never really put up pg numbers.

long story short, i like javaris...but considering he came from the latter half of the first round himself, i think it would be a little rich to give up a first rounder and a solid contributor for him. that being said, we dont need the first round pick, and bogans doesnt exactly fit the need that we had for him last season...so i think that memphis should do this deal. it is more than fair for javaris. i agree, a TE doesnt really help memphis in this deal, because the TE wont effect how far under the salary cap they go...so its useless.

memphis fans, how opposed are you to trading darko away?

as inconsistant as his offense can be he was very servicable on D..and surprisingly nobody on our boards seems to be running him out of town, personally i like him

Here is some info I posted in a previous comment before. I am not sure if everyone got the memo.

Trade Restriction

The following players selected in this scenario have restrictions which prevent them from being traded at this time. This may prevent the trade from occuring.

If you would like to see if this trade would work after all of the restrictions have expired please press the "Continue" button, otherwise click "Retry" to try a new trade.

Players with Trade Restrictions

Courtney Lee from Orlando

Lee was recently signed a contract and as a result he cannot be traded until Aug 3, 2008.

Once you hit the continue button, it's a successful scenario. I would really love to have C. Lee in place of J. Critt.

Curly, Darko could be traded depending on what you are talking about giving up for him. I kind of compare him to Happy Feet, the last penguin to hatch. I think his head is out of the shell but his body is still wrapped up. But he does show signs of Dartential at times to make me think, he could really be a beast in the NBA if he gets out of his own way. After his 2 yrs are up in this system and he still doesn't pan out, he will definitely be a bust. This Phoenix system shouldn't be too hard for anyone to comprehend. But we shall see. By the way Curly, for his Dartential, I think a Darko for Battie would be nice. What do you propose?

I believe this trade will go down in the next 2 weeks. Mark my word, but I think we will end up trading Bogan and a pick. Also I believe Turk might be traded at the deadline. The owner is trying to stay under the cap, so it either Turk or Nelson depending on how Critt play.

I said weeks ago that Bogans or JJ & a protected 1st round pick for J-Critt would be fair, and also that Bogans or JJ & a 2nd round pick for Kyle Lowry would be fair.

I think both ideas are still good for both teams, and I'd still be happy with either J-Critt or Lowry. I'm really not that picky.

Some of must understand that taking on salary (as small as Bogans' of Redick's) is not an issue. That's why I do not expect a trade for any part of your TE if it's only with a pick. The Grizzlies will be looking for a player to add, not turning the received TE for another pick.

Murphy, that is not what Griz fans are saying. Some would be content with Redick and others would rather us not trade at all. Bogans as an option is a distant third.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I love the people who keep saying a 20 year old will never be a true PG.

He is a VERY good ballhandler who like all 20 year old's, has a lot to learn. Especially considering PG is the hardest position to learn in the NBA. His size, ballhandling skills, age/upside, and ability to attack the rim make him worth the gamble.

I've never seen a guy who wasn't a natural PG become one. EVER. When one proves me wrong, I might start believing in the possibility.

I think Chauncey Billups has improved more than any other PG I've ever seen by an incredibly wide margin, but he's never been confused with a true facilitator like Deron Williams either & his PG play has regressed again.

I think it's as natural as athleticism.

The very guy you mentioned in your reply, Deron Williams. He wasn't a natural PG, and now has turned out to be a very good one. Did you forget that he played the 2 at Illinois?

quote:
But he does show signs of Dartential at times to make me think, he could really be a beast in the NBA if he gets out of his own way.

I think there's about 4 different coaching staffs, and fans of 2 franchises who have said nearly the exact same thing at some point. When he feels like playing and is confident, he'll look great. The problem is that happens about once every four games, and for the other 3, he's actually a detriment out there on the floor.

quote:
Originally posted by Eye B Leave:The very guy you mentioned in your reply, Deron Williams. He wasn't a natural PG, and now has turned out to be a very good one. Did you forget that he played the 2 at Illinois?

Um, Deron Williams lead the Big 10 in assists his last year there, lead Illinois in assists all 3 years he was in school there, and his last year, was a finalist for the Bob Cousy college point guard of the year award.