Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Dooling a sign-n-trade with Nets

quote:

July 18, 2008

Dooling Is On His Way

Keyon Dooling is close to becoming a Net.

League sources said the Nets and Magic are close to agreeing on a sign-and-trade for the point guard Lawrence Frank pursued three years ago.

The Nets would send their $3.3 million trade exception to the Magic in exchange for Dooling, who then would sign a three-year deal for between $10 million and $11 million.

It could be agreed upon as early as tonight, but probably won't be finalized until next week. This move would give the Nets 16 players and almost certainly would spell the end of Marcus Williams' career with the team.

The Nets have been looking to move Williams the past two summers. Once they secure the veteran guard Dooling, there would be little need for Williams.

Posted on July 18, 2008 at 06:13 PM

All you cap experts, what do you think Otis is trying to do with this move?

http://njmg.typepad.com/zzone/2008/07/dooling-is-next.html

quote:

July 18, 2008

Dooling Is On His Way

Keyon Dooling is close to becoming a Net.

League sources said the Nets and Magic are close to agreeing on a sign-and-trade for the point guard Lawrence Frank pursued three years ago.

The Nets would send their $3.3 million trade exception to the Magic in exchange for Dooling, who then would sign a three-year deal for between $10 million and $11 million.

It could be agreed upon as early as tonight, but probably won't be finalized until next week. This move would give the Nets 16 players and almost certainly would spell the end of Marcus Williams' career with the team.

The Nets have been looking to move Williams the past two summers. Once they secure the veteran guard Dooling, there would be little need for Williams.

Posted on July 18, 2008 at 06:13 PM

All you cap experts, what do you think Otis is trying to do with this move?

http://njmg.typepad.com/zzone/2008/07/dooling-is-next.html

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Otis is also allowed to used the trade exception to sign a player outright.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Otis is also allowed to used the trade exception to sign a player outright.

False.

"There are some common misconceptions about non-simultaneous trades. For one, teams cannot use a Traded Player exception to sign free agents; it can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams. For another, teams cannot combine a Traded Player exception with other exceptions (such as the Mid-Level exception or the 125% plus $100,000 margin from another trade) in order to trade for a more expensive player. For example, a team with a $1 million Traded Player exception cannot combine it with their $2 million player to trade for a $3 million player (see question number 72 for more information on combining exceptions)."

"And an hour later, we're hearing it's "very close" to being done.

As we wade through the saga of Richie Sexson at the Stadium ("A change of scenery is good") all indications are the Nets are going to get Dooling for that $3.3 trade exception and cash. Should be announced next week. That makes 16 and virtually insures someone gets bought out or the Nets do a 2-for-1 down the road."

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/nets/archives/2008/07/dialing_for_doo_1.html