Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Steve Kyler's take on the Magic/Memphis talks (update, pg. 10)

JJ may become an NBA beast, or he may be an NBA bust. Bottom line, for whatever reason, hes not getting it here.

I just want players here that are gonna play, I want our bench to be as feared as our starting lineup.

If werent not gonna play him, trade him. I dont care if he was the god king of college basketball. I dont care if the ladies are lining up to date him. I care that we get contributers to the cause, and right now and for the last few years he hasnt been and I dont think he will be

Lets get what we get and move on.

And that goes for the Mrs Fran debacle as well.

For anyone that is bashing Keith Bogans and I know he's not the greatest thing in the world.

Hardly anyone bashes Stan Van Gundy anyomre. Except the Redick homers. Stan played Keith close to 30 minutes a game. That was more than Mo Evans. Keith played just about every game in the 4th quarter when the game was usually on the line.

What does that tell you?

Value to trade Charisma no contradicting at all. Send him JJ to BFE if we can, we need to get a decent backup PG. JJ has already been shown he is not the missing link to win a Championship or else he be playing right now. For our team it makes sense ship him and our 1st to Memphis give us Crittenton find a PF now or later no rush now. Make sure David Stern has in BIG BOLD LETTERS ORLANDO MAGIC 2008-2009 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!

Can someone explain to me how Keith Bogans with his apparent godlike defense and 80% three point shooting and "high energy" off the bench is any different?

Who's guaranteeing that Bogans will get any playing time with Pietrus and C-Lee on the roster? Isn't the situation the same with him?

Don't get me wrong I'd trade them both to get Crittenton. I think having more than 2 SGs on an roster is completely stupid to begin with. I think the only SG we have that's untouchable is Pietrus and that is IT.

I just think that the Redick Haterade that goes on around here just clouds people's judgment for the most part. I dunno what else to say other than more than just J.J. Redick is tradeable. Geez, no wonder Otis doesn't care what we say on here. I'm glad he doesn't.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

For anyone that is bashing Keith Bogans and I know he's not the greatest thing in the world.

Hardly anyone bashes Stan Van Gundy anyomre. Except the Redick homers. Stan played Keith close to 30 minutes a game. That was more than Mo Evans. Keith played just about every game in the 4th quarter when the game was usually on the line.

What does that tell you?

Nothing, because its the source of my confusion. Why is a guy that's barely gotten any time worth more value to Memphis than a rotation guy with a better expiring contract??

They don't jive. Does anyone get what I'm talking about here?

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

quote:

What does that tell you?

Nothing, because its the source of my confusion. Why is a guy that's barely gotten any time worth more value to Memphis than a rotation guy with a better expiring contract??

Because television and the exposure he got at Duke made him a household name. Almost Larry Bird esque. Memphis can sell that to their fans better than they could Keith Bogans, I'm guessing.

One thing we do know, up until this point with two different head coaches J.J. Redick's professional career has been nothing like it was at Duke.

quote:

quote:

What does that tell you?

Maybe Memphis thinks Redick has more potential? Maybe they just think of JJ Redick as the college superstar. But I've seen enough of him to know he's not getting playing time, nor has a future with the Orlando Magic. I don't know why so many people want to hang on to him.

quote:

I feel you Sky...

In addition to what Junkie says above, I'd also add that other coaches/GMs sometimes think that they can take some other team's project and do better with it.

I'm sure there is a team (or three) out there that still thinks that JJ can be instant offense off the bench. And maybe they're right. It just isn't happening here.

Personally, I wouldn't bring Javaris here for a 1st round pick and players. WAAAAAY too much for an un-proven PG. Especially for a PG who is 3rd on the Depth Chart on a team that finished ranked #28 in the NBA. If he couldn't garner much playing time on the 3rd worst team n the NBA, why would he be worth a future 1st round pick and players?

Like it or not, Jameer is our PG for now and the future. Jameer isn't Deron Williams or Chris Paul, we all know this, and that works fine for our team. Jameer is the 3rd / 4th option on offense but he's able to penetrate and get looks for Rashard, Hedo and Dwight.

Crittenton, we've know idea what he can do. He came out after his freshman year in college and went in the bottom half of the first round to the Lakers in the 2007 draft. He's since gone to Memphis and wasn't able to earn a starting role there. So in 1 year, he's been on two teams and started, now played significant minutes, on either. Again, tell tale signs that he's not worth what Memphis, or some members on this form, are wanting. Should Javaris come to Orlando, he'll be a backup PG. Is a backup PG worth a 1st round pick and other players? The answer is no.

I put together some stats of Javaris in games he played over 20 minutes.

GP over 20 minutes: 10

PPG: 14

FGA: 104

FGM: 52

FG%: 50%

FT%: 84.8%

3PT%: 32%

REB: 5 / game

AST: 2.7 / game

STL: .9

TO: 1.9

Looking at his stats in games he played over 20 minutes, he seems to be more of a shoot first PG with less emphasis on getting others involved. Either that or people weren't converting on potential assists for him. He's also 6'5. which is pretty tall for a PG and closer to the height of a SG. In games he played over 30 minutes, he averaged 13.5 shot attempts per game and 3.75 assists / game in those contests. Crittenton had Mike Miller, Rudy Gay and Hakim Warrick to get the ball too also, each solid scorers, so I'd think his assists per game should be a little higher. I personally see Crittenton as a tall PG / shorter SG who plays the game more like a SG. He's not going to be a huge distributor as a PG and wwill look to get his points on offense. He's be a good player off the bench to come in and be a scorer, but not a starting PG for our team. So, again, Javaris Crittenton is not worth a future 1st round pick and players to be a 6th or 7th man.

BJ, I am not hating on SVG..He is a VERY good coach, and I understand Bogans played for a reason, but now we have Pietrus, and that is a huge plus, which in turn will take most if not all of Bogans minutes away, and give JJ and Clee the other minutes to split. I truly think JJ has a shot to be a very good player off of the bench...

And to whomever said 2 pages back something about the spurs game this year..Yeah, maybe he had a bad game...but look back 2 years ago when he almost single handedly brought us back then Dwight got to take it home at the end...The guy scored 16 points and was guarded by Bruce Bowen... Then the Suns game we were down by 7 I think it was? JJ scored two quick threes, and then Finally missed the last shot almost winning the game, coming in COLD at the end of the fourth.. If JJ has a defensive PG and SF (Crit & Peaches) he would be such a HUGE weapon..

The reason why JJ couldn't see the floor last year, because in practice Bogans was looking like Kobe while JJ was guarding him. As for the trade I say go for it. JJ and a 1st for Critt work for me. JJ will never be put in Stan rotation.