Sign in to follow this  
Mayhem

Denton says Magic contacted Pietrus and Diop (link)

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...kDJz/F8vOeE3OwW7U%3D

quote:
With the contract extensions for Dwight Howard (approximately $85 million) and Jameer Nelson ($35 million) kicking in, the Magic have little financial leverage in free agency this summer. If they can't lure Maggette to Orlando this summer, they will likely split up their $5.8 million on several players. Orlando general manager Otis Smith, assistant GM Dave Twardzik and head coach Stan Van Gundy made contact with the representatives of several free-agent players minutes after midnight, namely New Jersey center DeSagana Diop and Golden State shooting guard/small forward Mickael Pietrus.

Smith said last week that the Magic "would have to take care of (its) own free agents first," and they did just that by contacting combo guard Keyon Dooling minutes after midnight. Dooling said Tuesday the Magic made a strong pitch to him -- as several other teams did as well -- but no contract offer was made. Dooling, Orlando's top reserve this past season, is of great importance to the Magic because of his ability to play both the point guard and shooting guard positions.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...kDJz/F8vOeE3OwW7U%3D

quote:
With the contract extensions for Dwight Howard (approximately $85 million) and Jameer Nelson ($35 million) kicking in, the Magic have little financial leverage in free agency this summer. If they can't lure Maggette to Orlando this summer, they will likely split up their $5.8 million on several players. Orlando general manager Otis Smith, assistant GM Dave Twardzik and head coach Stan Van Gundy made contact with the representatives of several free-agent players minutes after midnight, namely New Jersey center DeSagana Diop and Golden State shooting guard/small forward Mickael Pietrus.

Smith said last week that the Magic "would have to take care of (its) own free agents first," and they did just that by contacting combo guard Keyon Dooling minutes after midnight. Dooling said Tuesday the Magic made a strong pitch to him -- as several other teams did as well -- but no contract offer was made. Dooling, Orlando's top reserve this past season, is of great importance to the Magic because of his ability to play both the point guard and shooting guard positions.

I'd be happy with Diop or Pietrus. But I don't think the MLE will be enough for one of them and Dooling.

Ok, that is some good news. Diop is a strong defender, would be nice to get him but I thought I read he was headed back to Dallas.

We need to get Keyon back, especially if Duhon goes somewhere else. We would be in serious trouble without Keyon back there.

I'd be estatic if we somehow got Pietrus and Diop. However, Pietrus will get the full MLE somewhere and probably not here since from what I'm hearing Maggette is the only player Otis is considering to use the full MLE on.

yea once we sign either duhon or keyon, i think there can be a big sigh of relief...if we miss out on either of them it would be welcome back arroyo/sign krueger/trade for a pg...and i hate all of those options

I'm glad Otis has a fallback plan other than Maggette or bust. Diop would be a very solid addition. I have my doubts whether or not we could actually pick up Diop and Pietrus both like Denton suggests (I could see a team offering Diop the whole midlevel exception). Still its good to know that Otis isn't sitting on his hands.

man this sound good i magic would love to have Mickael Pietrus on the team i mean he is 6"10 and he can shoot 3 pointer and he is good defender and a great player

otis is def not sitting on his hands...how he is going about it is kind of unknown, but at least we know players are being contacted with some sort of interest being shown

ba

quote:
Originally posted by nba12:

man this sound good i magic would love to have Mickael Pietrus on the team i mean he is 6"10 and he can shoot 3 pointer and he is good defender and a great player

He grew 4"! SIGN HIM OTIS!!#!@#$ROFLCOPTER!