Sign in to follow this  
Jameera Nelshon

Need a PG?; Arroyo is one of the top restricted agents this summer

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Why your persistence in trying to minus value Arroyo, every one knows he is a better PG than both Dooling and Nelson. Why Arroyo played 20.5 minutes per game during the season and Dooling 18.5? Why Arroyo started all the games when Nelson was "injured" and not Dooling? FENDI, this is a very old discussion, the point is that according to David Berri's stats Arroyo is one of the top unrestricted PG agents that is available right now! That it is! OK!

I know this is an old discussion but I certainly think Arroyo is overrated. Is he a good point guard? yes. But he will never be the Carlos Arroyo that plays superb in international competitions.

Do I agree that Carlos is one of the top UFA available? Yes. But I am answering to the fact that this discussion title actually suggests Arroyo as the answer to our PG woes.

Fendi, its so difficult to judge a player within the NBA, for as we have discussed, thse great international players come into the league and have to adapt to lesser prominent roles. Look at how Turk was able to reproduce his international role when given the go ahead that never was offered before. He was not the most improved player, he was just showing what he really could if given the chance. I agree that Carlos potential doesn't match Orlando's needs and he will hopefully be better off elsewhere. Yet, Arroyo has shown repeatedly his potential at international level against top NBA guards which makes me think he has not found his niche or his opportunity like Turk.

quote:
Fendi, its so difficult to judge a player within the NBA, for as we have discussed, thse great international players come into the league and have to adapt to lesser prominent roles. Look at how Turk was able to reproduce his international role when given the go ahead that never was offered before. He was not the most improved player, he was just showing what he really could if given the chance. I agree that Carlos potential doesn't match Orlando's needs and he will hopefully be better off elsewhere. Yet, Arroyo has shown repeatedly his potential at international level against top NBA guards which makes me think he has not found his niche or his opportunity like Turk.

What i bolded is what I think is the key word on your post, and I have to agree with it. But in the NBA type of play? DOubt it. He has had his opportunities. I also think he still needs to learn how to play D.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Looks like Carlos could be a future Denver Nugget:

quote:

Meanwhile, the Rocky Mountain News is reporting today that the Denver Nuggets are interested in Magic point guard Carlos Arroyo.

Not the worst fit for Carlos, but certainly not the best either. W/AI, there's not a ton of PT for a true PG, & they signed Chucky last year.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:

What i bolded is what I think is the key word on your post, and I have to agree with it. But in the NBA type of play? DOubt it. He has had his opportunities. I also think he still needs to learn how to play D.

People quickly forget how Carlos, playing with our starters, had a good 6 or 8 game winning streak going while Nelson was out. Remember how some people where even saying he should stay in the starting lineup? I don't think he has been given complete control of a team, as he is given in international competition. The game is a little different, sure, but the constant coaching and restraining doesn't help his game.

Also we need to remember Carlos usually got his minutes with Foyle, Bogans, Dooling, and Cook on the floor. Tell me of a PG that would excel with those guys on the floor?

Remember the game Gortat scored 12 pts. Carlos had, I don't remember exactly but 13 asst or something like that. It was Carlos being free and playing his game.

I am not saying he is the second coming of Jesus. I know most of his fans can be annoying. But he is also not as bad as some people say he is. I honestly still believe he was our best PG last year. I am not sold on Nelson. But I also know Carlos might not be starting material at least on this team. He is a great backup and would fill that role very good if given the chance. Specially with Turk possibly coming off the bench as our 6th man next year....

With all that said. I really doubt he will be here.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Looks like Carlos could be a future Denver Nugget:

quote:

Meanwhile, the Rocky Mountain News is reporting today that the Denver Nuggets are interested in Magic point guard Carlos Arroyo.

Not the worst fit for Carlos, but certainly not the best either. W/AI, there's not a ton of PT for a true PG, & they signed Chucky last year.

Who can fit with two ball hogs like Iverson and Anthony? For the next three days Carlos will be meeting some teams for he has excused himself from traveling to Europe with the national team for for a few days for prsonal matters.

quote:
According to David Berri (occasional columnist for the New York Times Sports section), Arroyo ranks #16 among the top 58 unrestricted free agents available this summer. Among the top unrestricted PGs he ranks #5 behind #1 Baron Davis, #2 Allen Iverson, #3 Anthony Carter and #4 Eddie House. Arroyo is ahead of Chris Duhon (#20), Anthony Johnson #21, Jason Williams #22, Beno Udrich #27 and Kenyon Dooling #31>. Actually, Arroyo is the top unrestricted free agent coming out from Orlando; Maurice Evans is #17 and Bogans is #18.

For the complete list here is the link:

http://www.wagesofwins.com/UFA2008.html

Of those mentioned above only Arroyo, Anthony Johnson, Jason Williams and Kenyon Dooling are still available PGs. Arroyo is at the top of the list among them , according to David Berri's stats. http://www.wagesofwins.com/UFA2008.html

David Berri's clearly an idiot.

Chris Duhon, Jason Williams, and CLEARLY Beno Udrih are better than Carlos. Especially Udrih.

Also I didn't realize Carlos actually played defense. After last season there's no denying his ball handling and passing, I was ecstatic that he cut out so many of his dumb turnovers from 06-07. But his thorough lack of competence on the defensive end is what holds him back and creates doubt. Most fans may not care about D, but coaches sure do.

quote:
Skywise316 posted:

David Berri's clearly an idiot.

Chris Duhon, Jason Williams, and CLEARLY Beno Udrih are better than Carlos. Especially Udrih.

Also I didn't realize Carlos actually played defense. After last season there's no denying his ball handling and passing, I was ecstatic that he cut out so many of his dumb turnovers from 06-07. But his thorough lack of competence on the defensive end is what holds him back and creates doubt. Most fans may not care about D, but coaches sure do.

Photobucket

Actually Sky, the Magic played better defense with Arroyo as the PG than with Nelson. If you can wait a little I will post the stats to prove it!