Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz swears "again" that Magic can't get Carter and Darko! Calling Cap Experts

What the hell is this Schmitz guy talking about? I'm talking mostly about his "D-league" line.

Since when is the salary cap only 30 million dollars? Because that's the only reason the Magic would have to trade/release half their team. Give me a break!

I also don't like the condescending tone in this story, especially considering he's COMPLETELY wrong.

How about this line: "VC is not coming back to his old Florida stomping grounds for half of what he can make in the market just because he wants to play for the Magic."

This is true. Only there's some daughter or something he has in Central Florida.... hmm. Come on. If he WAS going to resign with the Nets, wouldn't he of told them his offseason intentions by now??

It's quite doable to resign Darko and sign Vince (or Rashard Lewis/Ray Allen for that matter) without doing that much. If Otis could find some poor sucker to take Hedo off our hands, it would be that much easier, perhaps we could even resign G.Hill to play SF where he belongs as well.

To me, it's all so far WITHIN the realm of possibility that Otis Smith's legacy pretty much rides on it. Like I've said from the beginning, if VC wants to play with Orlando bad enough, then it shouldn't be hard at all for Otis to get the job done. In free agency the players and their agents have the power. Not the teams or their GMs (ie Rod Thorn).

Repeat after me: It's time to stop settling for mediocrity! Let's give Dwight Howard some help.

I wonder if we'll see a third blog from Schmitz?

"Whaaaa!(baby crying) The guys on OlandoMagicZone.com are making fun of me. They claim that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I only spout off information verbatim that is provided by team management. Well, I have news for the. Not only will Vince not sign with us, but Darko has privately told me he has no interest in signing with the Magic. As a matter of fact, I have conducted extensive research on the salary cap issue and my calcualtions state that we might not even be able afford resigning Diener, much less any other free agents.

The Orlando Sentinel and their readers are lucky to have such a gifted writer as myself gracing the pages of the sports section. I am an all-world talent and could have landed numerous jobs in larger markets. They're all just jealous that I get to see Pat Garrity naked in the locker room (oops, edit!). So eat that orlandomagiczone.com."

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I wonder if we'll see a third blog from Schmitz?

"Whaaaa!(baby crying) The guys on OlandoMagicZone.com are making fun of me. They claim that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I only spout off information verbatim that is provided by team management. Well, I have news for the. Not only will Vince not sign with us, but Darko has privately told me he has no interest in signing with the Magic. As a matter of fact, I have conducted extensive research on the salary cap issue and my calcualtions state that we might not even be able afford resigning Diener, much less any other free agents.

The Orlando Sentinel and their readers are lucky to have such a gifted writer as myself gracing the pages of the sports section. I am an all-world talent and could have landed numerous jobs in larger markets. They're all just jealous that I get to see Pat Garrity naked in the locker room (oops, edit!). So eat that orlandomagiczone.com."

As a great man once wrote/sang "I can gather all the news I need from the weather report."

quote:
I wouldn't doubt it at all if every word that Brian Schmitz writes is poon fed to him through the organization and then pawned off to us as readers.

Haha, "poon" fed. Anyway, I think the negative press arising from Schmitz consistently reporting what the Magic CANNOT do reflects poorly on the organization. ESPECIALLY in a case such as this where it has been made perfectly clear time and time again that, given the right series of off-season moves by the Magic and a little bargaining with Carter, the Magic can ABSOLUTELY sign both guys and maintain the core of players we have.

I'd like to see Schmitz start to make a case, as we have here, for how the organization CAN sign these two guys....or at least shut up about how they can't, because that played out opinion is just wrong; plain and simple.

Ok so let's go D league then if we have to Schmitz..

After all Hedo, Carlos, Jameer, and Garrity play at that level most of the time, so what's the difference?

Who cares if the bench was full of D-leaguers if we could have Ariza, Carter, Dwight and Darko starting.

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

Ok so let's go D league then if we have to Schmitz..

After all Hedo, Carlos, Jameer, and Garrity play at that level most of the time, so what's the difference?

Who cares if the bench was full of D-leaguers if we could have Ariza, Carter, Dwight and Darko starting.

I thought about that also. With Jameer (he's not going anywhere), Vince, Ariza, Darko & Dwight playing 35-40 minutes per game, what does it matter how good our bench is. In all likelihood, we will still have Arroyo, Bogans, JJ, maybe G Hill at the minimum, Battie, Augie, and I'm guessing Gortat. I certainly don't want to see Outlaw or Garrity have any more 20 minute games. If that means we have bench players making 1-3 million instead of some of the bloated 3-5 million we currently have, I'm all for it. Hell, it wouldn't bother me a bit to have (3) 2nd round picks from this offseason sitting on the bench waiting to develop (if we can do some adequate scouting).

quote:
I thought about that also. With Jameer (he's not going anywhere), Vince, Ariza, Darko & Dwight playing 35-40 minutes per game, what does it matter how good our bench is. In all likelihood, we will still have Arroyo, Bogans, JJ, maybe G Hill at the minimum, Battie, Augie, and I'm guessing Gortat. I certainly don't want to see Outlaw or Garrity have any more 20 minute games. If that means we have bench players making 1-3 million instead of some of the bloated 3-5 million we currently have, I'm all for it. Hell, it wouldn't bother me a bit to have (3) 2nd round picks from this offseason sitting on the bench waiting to develop (if we can do some adequate scouting).

You're definitely walking a thin line in that scenario though. Should any one of those players, and God forbid more than one, sustain a series injury it could be devastating to have a bench full of guys who just take up space on the floor. In theory it's a good idea, but it might be smarter to go for the minimal roll players who can turn around and make some noise when guys get injured. This year, guys like Cedric Simmons from New Orleans and Gerald Green stepped up in the early part of the season to hold it down while the leading scorers were on the bench.

I would have posted(other links) this for you guys but my computer at work today is working so slow I don't feel like waiting.

The Jersey papers yesterday were all over Vince to tell him what Ratner(Nets president) was saying about wanting to sign him. They also told him Ratner said he didn't care how much he went over the cap if it meant Carter re-upping with them.

Vince's response?

"It's nice to hear that the owner values my services that much. I'm glad he's so supportive."

In other words he didn't lead them on "ONE BIT" that he was going to re-sign there. This was even after the reporters told him Ratner was willing to break the bank!

Is there really any doubt that he's gonna opt out? Not with me.

Unless the Nets offer more than three years, which they won't because they want to make a run at Lebron in 2010. We can make a deal just as beneficial.

Which way do you go?

Nets- 3 years $45 mill - More money now, but how high will your value be when this contract is over at the age of 33?

Magic - 5 years $70 mill - You take less money up front ($12 Mill) but guarantee yourself two more years of high income.

It's no secret where Vince wants to be, but if I was a player I'd think about it twice before playing for a team that's coached by Brian Hill..

Still, if this organization thinks it straight it's very likely Vince will be here next season.

D@mn it, my smoke detector just went off. I guess that means Schmitz is trying to blow smoke up our rectums!