Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz swears "again" that Magic can't get Carter and Darko! Calling Cap Experts

This guy must have been reading our boards. He swears and even created another blog stating that we cannot sign the both of them.

I felt after reading the opinions of the board on his first blog that Brian just didn't know what he was talking about.

Is that still the case? As I have stated I'm not great with the business stuff. Click the link:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/repeat_after_me.html

This guy must have been reading our boards. He swears and even created another blog stating that we cannot sign the both of them.

I felt after reading the opinions of the board on his first blog that Brian just didn't know what he was talking about.

Is that still the case? As I have stated I'm not great with the business stuff. Click the link:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/repeat_after_me.html

"The Magic will have $10-$13 million in cap room."

Grant Hill's contract alone will come off the books for over 16 million.

Outlaw is another million. If Dooling opts out that's another 3.5 million, and he'll likely opt out. If Garrity opts out, that's a few more million, but I won't count that since it's doubtful.

So that's over 20 million assuming the CAP doesn't raise at all.

And since Schmitz seems to be functionally retarded, here's a reality check: If Darko makes, oh lets say 10 million next season(I'd say he'll get 8-9), his base salary has raised 5 million, not 10. HE'S ALREADY MAKING 5 MILLION THIS YEAR.

Not to mention the whole discussion is ridiculous anyway, since we could easily trade away a few large contracts to clear cap space. We trade Hedo for a small contract prospect and/or draft picks, and all of a sudden we have an extra 6 million to spend.

Brian Schmitz is an idiot.

I will debate this with him face to face all day long and have him choaking on his cereal.

What he is basing his statement on is the current salary cap figure the Magic would be at if we didn't make a trade to free up cap space, Dooling didn't opt out, and/or Devos wasn't willing to pay the luxury tax. Devos has already stated publicly and demonstrated it last year, that he is willing to pay the luxury tax (and frankly, this would be his best chance at getting a new Arena). With that scenario, no we don't have enough money.

But, to say that we CANNOT sign both players is irresponsible. There are numerous ways that we can sign both Darko & Vince and that's what he should be writing about.

Is it just me, or does his blog seem to be nothing but a response to our discussions all the time? He needs to get his own material.

I absolutely think that our Board has gotten more notice from the mainstream media this season - and well deserved!

We have been making the "How do we afford VC and Darko" discussion a daily occurance since well before the trade deadline and now Schmitz is using it on the blog. It seems dated and rehashed to those of us reading these boards. But to someone who uses the OrlandoSentinel.com as their chief source of Magic news (that was me at one time!), it is probably nice to have these little nuggets from Schmitz on a daily basis.

Oh, regarding Dooling...he may opt out, but only because a player like him will be able to do well in this market. With few teams having cap room to sign players, that MLE is starting to look pretty good. Dooling could get a big chunk of some team's MLE and still call it a nice raise. Having said that, I think Dooling likes being here.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I will debate this with him face to face all day long and have him choaking on his cereal.

What he is basing his statement on is the current salary cap figure the Magic would be at if we didn't make a trade to free up cap space, Dooling didn't opt out, and/or Devos wasn't willing to pay the luxury tax. Devos has already stated publicly and demonstrated it last year, that he is willing to pay the luxury tax (and frankly, this would be his best chance at getting a new Arena). With that scenario, no we don't have enough money.

But, to say that we CANNOT sign both players is irresponsible. There are numerous ways that we can sign both Darko & Vince and that's what he should be writing about.

Is it just me, or does his blog seem to be nothing but a response to our discussions all the time? He needs to get his own material.

I couldn't figure out where his numbers were coming from. Good catch on that, Smack.

I really wish he'd at least check his facts before he starts writing. Even if the CAP did stay the same, and no one opted out, we'd be starting 6 million over the CAP. Ghill would put us 10.2mil under, Darko another 5, Bo another 1.2, and Diener another .6. That's 17 million right there. The V drop in Battie's contract also gives us an additional .5.

So he needs to shut up.

I agree with Brian, that if Vince wants a max deal only. It will make the numbers VERY hard to work although still doable if the team dumps Hedo and possibly Carlos for cap space.

Vince can get close to $16 mill a year from the Nets. The Magic are going to want him at around $12 mill a year. The Nets are not going to offer more than three years at the max, while the Magic could go 4 or 5 years to help offset the lower starting salary.

Now the big question. Has Brian been asked by the team to keep pounding this point out for a reason?

*To let fans know that they won't be giving both of these guys max deals.

*To send a message to Vince's people and agent, that he will need to make concessions to come here.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Now the big question. Has Brian been asked by the team to keep pounding this point out for a reason?

*To let fans know that they won't be giving both of these guys max deals.

*To send a message to Vince's people and agent, that he will need to make concessions to come here.

I think it's a shame that there always seems to be some sort of alterior motive with Magic reporting. We as fans, are always asked to read between the lines to figure out what the Magic plans really are.

I wouldn't doubt it at all if every word that Brian Schmitz writes is spoon fed to him through the organization and then pawned off to us as readers.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

I couldn't figure out where his numbers were coming from. Good catch on that, Smack.

I really wish he'd at least check his facts before he starts writing. Even if the CAP did stay the same, and no one opted out, we'd be starting 6 million over the CAP. Ghill would put us 10.2mil under, Darko another 5, Bo another 1.2, and Diener another .6. That's 17 million right there. The V drop in Battie's contract also gives us an additional .5.

So he needs to shut up.

wait a sec, mate... i think there's something wrong. ok, we'd be 17.5 mill under the cap but that's WITHOUT darko and vince. and darko's contract will count 200% * current contract, that's somewhere near 10mill. so we'd have only 7.5mill left and there's no way we can sign VC for 7.5mill.

BUT

if dooling opts out his contract, that'd give us another 3.5 mill (totally 11mill) and let's say we sign darko for 8 mill, that would give us 2mill. in the end we'd have "just" 13mill for a FA. if pat opts out, that would give us another 3.5mill, that would be enough to sign a max deal but i really doubt that. so we have to give up hedo and/or carlos.

ok, this sounds funny but i think that it's going be easier to trade carlos&pat than hedo. carlos&pat would have expiring deals worth 7.5mill together while hedo has a 6-7mill/4yr deal.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

Common Schmitz, are you saying we can't trade for Carter or move some of our pieces?

You must be talking to Otis. Blah, Blah, Blah.

we can, but would take them?

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

So he needs to shut up.

wait a sec, mate... i think there's something wrong. ok, we'd be 17.5 mill under the cap but that's WITHOUT darko and vince. and darko's contract will count 200% * current contract, that's somewhere near 10mill. so we'd have only 7.5mill left and there's no way we can sign VC for 7.5mill.

BUT

if dooling opts out his contract, that'd give us another 3.5 mill (totally 11mill) and let's say we sign darko for 8 mill, that would give us 2mill. in the end we'd have "just" 13mill for a FA. if pat opts out, that would give us another 3.5mill, that would be enough to sign a max deal but i really doubt that. so we have to give up hedo and/or carlos.

ok, this sounds funny but i think that it's going be easier to trade carlos&pat than hedo. carlos&pat would have expiring deals worth 7.5mill together while hedo has a 6-7mill/4yr deal.

What you're forgetting is that all those numbers are based off the assumption that Dooling won't opt out and that the CAP numbers won't rise at all, when in fact the CAP raises every year. It's expected to be around 57 million next season, with some saying it'll go higher, mainly due to international revenues. I've heard as much as 61 million, but I suspect it'll be in the 57-58 range. So that's an extra 4-5 million he's not considering at all.

All of a sudden 7.5 becomes 11.5-12.5, assuming Dooling doesn't opt out and Darko signs for 10, when 8-9 is more likely. Plus Dooling is almost sure to opt out for lack of playing time.

And as it's been said, we could still move salaries.

Point being: Schmitz isn't factoring in nearly any of the possible scenarios where we could sign both. He's making a blanket statement that's both factually inaccurate but also purposefully misleading.