Sign in to follow this  
Big EB

How Howard can improve his freethrows

howard needs to learn how to follow through finishing with his arm fully extended and not "short-arming" like he always does, free throws are about getting into a rhythm and repeating the exact same motions and release point, if he could learn to follow through (I know he has said he feels like he is gonna throw the ball through the backboard) he would have a much better chance of having the same release point every time...IMO...if that makes any sense

ive always noticed that he lets his guide hand come around to the front of the ball instead of staying on the side... then again his hand are bigger than both of mine

The problem with his shot is that he flicks the ball.

I wonder if that shooting coach of his even identified that problem. He has yet to correct it.

The backboard shot is actually a very unique idea. I'm surprised that nobody has ever attempted that. I mean, if Rick Berry's underhand shot worked, then struggling freethrow shooters have got to be up for just about anything that works.

From basketball experience though, it's far more difficult to bank a shot from straight away than making it normally.

I think he takes too long of a pause before shooting the free throw. Duncan does that too, and he has problems as well. Most of the good shooters, shoot their foul shots in rythym, like Rip Hamilton.

He should lay off the playstation and practice shooting. I just don't buy the excuse that he just doesn't have a good shooting touch. Anybody can shoot well enough with a good amount of practice.

Some people learn to write and paint with their feet, why can't he practice enough to shoot AT LEAST 70% from the line.

The thing I think that needs to change the most about his FTs is that he bends his knees just for the sake of bending them, pauses after they are straight, straightens his back then shoots. He lacks fluidity, he needs to use his legs as a part of the shot and bring up his arms while he is straightening his legs. Watching that aspect of his free throws has always annoyed me a lot.

Oh, yeah, and magic berto.....NICE SIG!!!!!!!!! HERMAN=2008-2009 MVP!

Wow, that brings me back to the Ballerina Layup that Hermann demonstrated....in the playoffs. Me and everyone in the chat room were Laughing our asses off. I had to put mine in a bag and put it in the freezer so they can surgically stitch it back at Orlando Regional later.