Jay Magic

Welcome To The Orlando Magic Victor Oladipo

As a big Indiana Hoosiers fan, I wanted to drop by this board to say that you're going to love Victor Oladipo. He's an incredibly fun player to watch and already has the skills to be a lockdown defender in the NBA. Great finishing around the basket and his shooting improved remarkably during his time at IU. Gives 110% and has a motor that doesn't stop, great rebounder for a guard and is athletic as anyone. He's an efficient player offensively who really improved his shooting last summer... I think he's going to be an All-Star in 3 years. Still has to work on his ball handling and shooting but he's going to work really hard (I'm sure you have heard the story about how he wore out his swipe card at IU to get access to the gym and had to get it replaced).

I would expect him to immediately step in as a quality complimentary player and grow into a bigger role over the next 2-3 years. You're getting an outstanding young man who got his degree in 3 years, devout Christian and has a great head on his shoulders... you're not going to have to worry about him getting arrested or doing something stupid. He's also a really fun interview and

. He's probably my all-time favorite Indiana player and I'll be rooting for him on the Magic.
  • Upvote 1

@JohnDenton555

#Magic SF Victor Oladipo: "My defense is everything; it’s the reason I’m here. And (his D) is gonna help me separate myself in the future."

With the second overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Orlando Magic selected shooting guard Victor Oladipo out of Indiana.

Orlando considered just about every possible option at No. 2 – from other prospects to potential trades – but they ultimately decided to pick Oladipo.

Oladipo is widely regarded as one of the best athletes in this draft. He’s an explosive player, a lockdown perimeter defender and a head coach’s best friend since he has a seemingly unlimited amount of energy and never takes a play off.

Although the 21-year-old doesn’t have the upside of some other prospects in this draft, he’s a conservative pick. He’ll work hard and contribute alongside Orlando’s other young players such as Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless and Nikola Vucevic.

Last season, Oladipo made huge strides and was one of the most improved players in the nation. He finished third in steals per 40 minutes among the top-100 prospects in the draft. He averaged 13.6 points and increased his shooting percentages significantly to 59.9 percent from the field and 44.1 percent from three-point range. He also averaged 6.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 2.2 steals and nearly one block in his junior season. He also had the seventh-highest field goal percentage in the country, which is incredible for a perimeter player, and he had the highest effective field goal percentage in the nation among the top-100 prospects.

In the days leading up to the draft, Orlando spoke with a number of teams that were interested in trading up to select Oladipo including the Minnesota Timberwolves and Oklahoma City Thunder. However, rather than dealing the pick, the Magic decided to draft Oladipo themselves.

After being selected, Oladipo vowed to work incredibly hard, harder than anyone in Orlando had ever seen before. Magic general manager Rob Hennigan has done a terrific job assembling franchise cornerstones in Orlando, and Oladipo will fit right in.

Via Hoopsworld

I hate the Oli nickname. Dipo isn't that good either but I think it's better

"Vic" is what the other players at Indiana called him. On the Indiana message boards, we'd use that or just VO if we didn't spell out Oladipo.