the notorious S.A.C.

Dwight Decision Thread - Update on Page 10

How did the Lakers gut their team for Dwight Howard? They got a free rental on the best center in the league by giving up a center with degenerative knees. The alternate universe version of the Lakers that convinced Bynum to sign an extension isn't happy right now.

As usual the Lakers gave up nothing in return for a major piece. Year after year stealing from the small markets. I still have issue with not being able to acquire multiple unprotected firsts from the Lakers let alone having them add protection for the second rounders too. It seems like we dont get anything from them worthwhile at any stage. Our assets came from Philly not LA. Once again, the Stern led Lakers gave up nothing since no one in their right mind would have given a max deal to screw ball bynum. Rest assured some how some way they will pry a contending team from us misfits of the nba soon enough. Until then watching them hold onto their last hope who is certifiable is just priceless. When he finally $hit cans LA I cant wait to see Kobe and the Lakers fans face on the way down.

Previous Lakers media deal for tv rights: 30m per season

New deal: estimated between 200m per season and 250m per season

Total increase: between 170m and 220m, depending on whose estimates on the deal's total value you believe.

PS: Zara's crush on me is no longer adorable. It's now just sad.

'Estimated between $200m to $250m per season' accounts for a $4bn to $5bn deal (the contract with Warner is confirmed to be for 20 years).

Bloomberg (on Oct 2012) quotes $3 billion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-30/lakers-are-ready-for-nba-spotlight-with-nash-3-billion-tv-deal.html

That figure translates to $150m/y, on the considerably off chance that the contract pays on a straight-line basis.

Assuming the $30m/y figure regarding the old media deal isn't as bogus as the "250m per season" figure, the "total increase" is somewhere north of $100m.

ps. "..."

But, um, how much are the Lakers – all by themselves – getting from Time Warner Cable for its new regional sports networks?$5 billion.

I'd add a "Cha-ching!" sound effect, but no one is fitting $5 billion in any cash register.

That $5 billion is over 25 years – or it'll be merely $4 billion over 20 years if the future option isn't exercised. It has been widely and wrongly reported as less.

Let's pause and appreciate how much money one club, starting next season, will get per year all to itself just from local TV: $200 million ... when Forbes values the entire Milwaukee Bucks franchise at $258 million.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-329235-billion-new.html

So the 5 billion number was if the option was picked up, which I didn't know was a thing until just now. So it's 200m a season average over 20 or 25 years. So a 170m increase.

But good job figuring out that many contracts don't pay out the same amount every year. That's strong detective work on your part. Of course, every single article on the matter presented the information the same way(including the one I just quoted), since the actual terms of the contract weren't disclosed. And come to think of it, that's ALSO true of player contracts, but I've never once seen you show up and whine about someone saying that a player just got a 12m a season on a 5 year deal because that's like, totes not how the money will actually be doled out.

It's almost like you're aimlessly following my posts and being jaw-droppingly pedantic, because you think that makes you look smart and/or like you're standing up to the big, mean bully DOM. You're not, of course; all you've actually succeeded in doing is convincing me to put you on my ignore list again. So, success for you, I guess?

And also:

Under its deal with Fox Sports West, the Lakers were getting about $30 million a year in rights fees, people familiar with the situation said.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/14/sports/la-sp-0215-lakers-time-warner-20110215

Is there a more delusional fanbase than the Lakers? There are some on the LakerForums saying they'd rather have Kobe than Harden, and Nash over Lin. Do they still think it's like 2007-08? Do they not realize that Nash/Kobe are both injured 30+ y/o's who will only decline while Harden/Lin are in their prime?

Holy crap it's hard to read that forum sometimes. I do it anyways, for the lulz. That board right now looks like our board shortly before the Dwightmare ended for us. Everyone calling for MDA to get fired because that will keep Dwight sounds familiar. They should take a look at how that worked out for the Magic.

• Upvote 1

Is there a more delusional fanbase than the Lakers? There are some on the LakerForums saying they'd rather have Kobe than Harden, and Nash over Lin. Do they still think it's like 2007-08? Do they not realize that Nash/Kobe are both injured 30+ y/o's who will only decline while Harden/Lin are in their prime?

Holy crap it's hard to read that forum sometimes. I do it anyways, for the lulz. That board right now looks like our board shortly before the Dwightmare ended for us. Everyone calling for MDA to get fired because that will keep Dwight sounds familiar. They should take a look at how that worked out for the Magic.

Amen! I love their pitch...winningest franchise, best fans blah blah blah....what that says to me is we are skirting the issue that we have an aged team and no ability to do any better than last year and in fact most likely will be worse with all their senior citizens one year older and their main player coming off major injury. What is says to me is we have no options just wait one more year of loising out....pleeeease Dwight...stay.....youll see we will be contenders down the road. I imagine Otis spouted the same garbage in his year and it didnt work out. LA's little experiment is sure to backfire on them if he stays or if he goes....and he is going.

Their pitch is basically we always win, come be a part of our long history. Now I want Dwight to fail in every way possible in life but if it were me I would want to stand out rather than being player number 1000 in a list of guys that are part of franchise history. Dwight wouldn't even rank in the top 10 best players in that franchises history why would someone want that?

Last report I saw was that Kobe's pitch was, come here and I will teach you how to be a champion. Kobe is from a different era (which is strange to me), these tools don't want to learn to be a champion, they don't want to build anything, they want to find the quickest and easiest route there. Dwight doesn't want to take time and learn something, he knows EVERYTHING. He is going to figure out if teaming up with Harden and Parson's or Dirk and whoever they get or Curry and Thompson gives him his quickest route to what he wants. Look at what he asked Houston, can you add another max player? Geez really? And Houston promptly started calling about Josh Smith. How can a title possibly mean anything like this?

• Upvote 3

To be honest, Dwight Howard is the polar opposite of a player in my signature.

I will say this now and won't say it again. Dwight Howard will never...win a championship. Really. Don't worry about it.

If Dwight Howard starts taking accountability then I will be worried about my guarantee. Until then, he is not winning anything close to a championship. I can't believe he has all this money and doesn't take the time to think about "HIMSELF"...and his own flaws...and mistakes......and perspectives...

What is wrong with this guy. I KNOW....I KNOW..I'm the only one that thinks this is a complete circus. I know i'm not the only one here that feels like a vein is about to burst within their brains thinking just thinking about this. My head is on fire.

I believe Dwight Howard is probably one of the most ungrateful people I've seen ever in my life. Has to be top three.

I went off topic lol.

Erm...

When it comes to all franchises, if LeBron James wasn't playing with the Heat....I would be rooting against the Lakers of all franchises to fail. They know not what advesity is. The Lakers time has come...to be a bottom feeder....a team in the draft lottery. This will finally bring the Lakers fans down to earth and realize what the teams that the NBA could care less about go through to reach the top.

Its time to humble their fans and their city. They aren't going to be "GREAT" anymore. They will definitely not have a player like Kobe..or possibly never have a player like Kobe again due to the mentality of your modern day NBA player.

The Lakers from my personal perspective have cheated their way into many of their championships. They've also been very fortunate on other situations. I could very well say that one of their championships shouldn't count AT ALL. Everyone knows what championship that is.

I agree, O! You read their board and it's like they don't get it. They automatically think they can unload Pau for a premium pick. It's like they think the rest of the league didn't notice how crappy Pau played last year, and the rest of the league should be happy to trade for the Lakers' scraps. It's the same group of fans who swear up and down that Kobe/Nash is a better duo going forward than Lin/Harden. Two ~35 y/o guys coming off major injuries are apparently better than two up and coming younger stars, simply because they wear the purple and gold??? If Dwight wants to win now, he takes the MLE or something in Miami. He wants to have a good chance at winning while still commanding max money, I would do Houston myself. Younger pieces that are still in their prime.

LakersNation is forgetting that the last time LA actually won the title was 3 years ago. After that, they got swept out of the second round in 2011, another second round exit winning only one game in 2012, and a first round exit via sweep in 2013. They are 9-17 in the playoffs since their last title, and their star players are coming into the end of their careers. But then say Kobe, Nash, and Pau all retire at the end of this season. Say they amnesty Artest. They will, yes, have a ton of cap space. But what FAs are going to run to LA where the team is potentially Dwight + a bunch of scrubs who would be 2nd/3rd string on most other teams?

Their fans are completely delusional. I understand there's homerism on every forum, but I notice a subtle difference at least between this board and theirs. We talk of moves we COULD make or would LIKE to make, or MAYBE make. They talk of moves they WILL make and players they WILL sign or WILL trade, as though it is a given. Like GMs in the NBA are right NOW sitting around the War Room saying "You know what, Steven? We are one 32 year old PF/C away from winning it all. A 32 year old PF/C who's coming off a season where his production sucked, and he was injured a bit. I've got it!!! Get on the horn with the Lakers and tell them we'll trade a promising young talent AND a first round pick to bring in Pau Gasol!! GENIUS!!" Hate that feeling of entitlement...

I agree, O! You read their board and it's like they don't get it. They automatically think they can unload Pau for a premium pick. It's like they think the rest of the league didn't notice how crappy Pau played last year, and the rest of the league should be happy to trade for the Lakers' scraps. It's the same group of fans who swear up and down that Kobe/Nash is a better duo going forward than Lin/Harden. Two ~35 y/o guys coming off major injuries are apparently better than two up and coming younger stars, simply because they wear the purple and gold??? If Dwight wants to win now, he takes the MLE or something in Miami. He wants to have a good chance at winning while still commanding max money, I would do Houston myself. Younger pieces that are still in their prime.

LakersNation is forgetting that the last time LA actually won the title was 3 years ago. After that, they got swept out of the second round in 2011, another second round exit winning only one game in 2012, and a first round exit via sweep in 2013. They are 9-17 in the playoffs since their last title, and their star players are coming into the end of their careers. But then say Kobe, Nash, and Pau all retire at the end of this season. Say they amnesty Artest. They will, yes, have a ton of cap space. But what FAs are going to run to LA where the team is potentially Dwight + a bunch of scrubs who would be 2nd/3rd string on most other teams?

Their fans are completely delusional. I understand there's homerism on every forum, but I notice a subtle difference at least between this board and theirs. We talk of moves we COULD make or would LIKE to make, or MAYBE make. They talk of moves they WILL make and players they WILL sign or WILL trade, as though it is a given. Like GMs in the NBA are right NOW sitting around the War Room saying "You know what, Steven? We are one 32 year old PF/C away from winning it all. A 32 year old PF/C who's coming off a season where his production sucked, and he was injured a bit. I've got it!!! Get on the horn with the Lakers and tell them we'll trade a promising young talent AND a first round pick to bring in Pau Gasol!! GENIUS!!" Hate that feeling of entitlement...

\

Sadly and inevitably there is always a David Stern and/or Otis Smith out there somewhere who gives them way more than they should for their garbage. As long as the other owners dont call B.S. out loud the trade usually goes through.