the notorious S.A.C.

Dwight Decision Thread - Update on Page 10

Well considering that the Lakers and Celtics have been too busy winning championships, it's kinda hard for the league to rig them with #1 overall picks.

In 1996-1997 the Celtics finished with a record of 15-67 and had the 2nd worst record in the league, did they get Tim Duncan? Nope. The Lakers are a different story, they've hardly ever been in the lottery and whilst they'll be worse without Dwight I can't see them being bottom 7 or 8 in the league, they'll still have Pau, Nash, MWP and Kobe when he returns from injury.

The last two mega stars who came into the league went to Cleveland and Oklahoma City. There's no evidence to suggest the league "fixes" where the big names go in the draft, except I guess that Lebron went to his home town, but honestly after seeing how the lottery is conducted I honestly don't think it could be rigged.

Oh really...I think Stern knows his stars will be in the major markets soon enough. It is odd how that just seems to happen.Look at where the top 10 young stars were 3-4 years ago and now miraculously all of them have moved to the major markets. Coincidently...the same major markets they moved to over the last 25 years. Again and again. Essentially only Durant hasnt moved on.

As for the lottery it goes way back to the Patrick Ewing days for those schenanigans. My feeling is Stern sells the small market perpetually losing teams on the fact they will get their star for their rookie deal and when its done expect that star to be gone. In return you get another star for being a bottom feeder.

If it werent a rigged process then why does it not happen out in the open? I can watch the powerball and florida lotteries draw live 15 times a week live but the nba...its behind closed doors. Why? What is the reason? Quite frankly, its a rigged sham and if you dont think its so you are just not being realistic. The NBA is a 100 billion dollar business and they arent letting ramdom stuff happen to upset their business. The day the draft lottery comes out of the back is the day I will believe small markets "MAY" have a chance. NBA is on par with WWE period.

Oh really...I think Stern knows his stars will be in the major markets soon enough. It is odd how that just seems to happen.Look at where the top 10 young stars were 3-4 years ago and now miraculously all of them have moved to the major markets. Coincidently...the same major markets they moved to over the last 25 years. Again and again. Essentially only Durant hasnt moved on.

As for the lottery it goes way back to the Patrick Ewing days for those schenanigans. My feeling is Stern sells the small market perpetually losing teams on the fact they will get their star for their rookie deal and when its done expect that star to be gone. In return you get another star for being a bottom feeder.

Well they've just increased the luxury tax and provided benefits for players to stay with their teams and Patrick Ewing was drafted under a different Lottery system.

Well they've just increased the luxury tax and provided benefits for players to stay with their teams and Patrick Ewing was drafted under a different Lottery system.

Yes, the "bend the card so you can fish around and find it later" system. lol

Im sure LA and their billion dollar tv contract cares about shelling out 50 million of luxury tax. The value of a successful nba team is far far greater than the cost of a tiny bit of luxury tax. While owners might not like to pay the tax it is really a small drop in the bucket compared to how much a winning club is worth let alone a winning club in a major market.

I also noted the franchise tag wasnt adopted either....hmmmmm.,,wonder why.

Im sure LA and their billion dollar tv contract cares about shelling out 50 million of luxury tax. The value of a successful nba team is far far greater than the cost of a tiny bit of luxury tax. While owners might not like to pay the tax it is really a small drop in the bucket compared to how much a winning club is worth let alone a winning club in a major market.

I also noted the franchise tag wasnt adopted either....hmmmmm.,,wonder why.

Well I didn't say it was perfect but it'll help.

Does Derrick Rose not count as a mega star? He was drafted by his hometown Bulls who had less than 2% chance of winning the lottery.

Charlotte might also have a good shot at winning the lottery. I keep thinking at some point the league will throw MJ another crack at number 1 after the Kwame Brown debacle.

If it werent a rigged process then why does it not happen out in the open? I can watch the powerball and florida lotteries draw live 15 times a week live but the nba...its behind closed doors. Why? What is the reason? Quite frankly, its a rigged sham and if you dont think its so you are just not being realistic. The NBA is a 100 billion dollar business and they arent letting ramdom stuff happen to upset their business. The day the draft lottery comes out of the back is the day I will believe small markets "MAY" have a chance. NBA is on par with WWE period.

Stern is a brilliant, brilliant man. There is a certain naivety by those who are either to blind or refuse to see it. Stern is best marketer is the history of professional sports. Unlike football we can see the faces of the players. So many casual fans follow the player as opposed to a team. Naturally this caters to the larger markets where a Carmelo Anthony in NY will a much larger fan base and following then he would Denver.

Of course Stern knows the best players will want to play for the wealthiest and most historically successful franchises, why wouldn't he? In every walk of life people constantly leave their jobs for jobs offering more money or better perks and nobody questions it, music artists leave independent labels for the major labels all the time, baseball players leave their teams to play for the Yankees and the Red Sox all the time, soccer players leave their teams to play for Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona all the time but it happens in the NBA and suddenly everybody questions the morality of the entire league.

Question, if you got offered two jobs; one in Denver and one in New York City (what some people consider the greatest city in the world), both are offering the exact same salary but the job in New York is promising they have the near unlimited resources to build a team around you to allow you to work to the best of your abilities and is also offering much more lucrative bonuses (in this analogy the bonuses are endorsement deals) would you really choose the Denver job?

No, and yet when Carmelo does it the league gets shunned regardless of the fact that he was actually born in New York and probably dreamed of playing for the Knicks when he was a kid.

Furthermore Miami is in no way a large market compared to the Knicks or Lakers, explain to me how Stern is taking advantage of the huge market by "convincing" Lebron to move to Miami. If anything it's a lot more likely that Stern just marketed the Big 3 extraordinarily well and (naturally since they have the leagues biggest star) Miami are on national TV a lot. But people hate that Lebron, Wade and Bosh joined forces so, not content with just hating the players, also have to hate on the league for allowing a team to sign 3 players that they had the cap space to do.

Let's further add to that point by saying San Antonio, one of the most successful teams in recent memory, is a really small market, if Stern was so corrupt surely it would have been in his best interest to stop the Spurs from drafting Tim Duncan (in that draft the Spurs had a 21% chance of getting #1 whereas the Celtics, one of these big markets who Stern apparently loves, had over a 35% chance of winning with their own and Dallas' lottery picks)? Then when the Spurs had Duncan why didn't Stern move him to another franchise with a big TV market so that the NBA finals got more views?

Conversely Philadelphia is huge, they must have a massive TV market but when was the last time they had players good enough to make the finals? Iverson in 01, that's 12 years ago if you're counting. (Commence the "league to rig Wiggins to Philly" conspiracy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKI-fToATpQ

Here is how the current lottery system is run, it was not run this way in the Ewing days. I'm not going to completely rule out that this system could be and, in the past, has been rigged but it looks like a pretty fool proof way to run things to me since I assume every team has a copy of the combinations and who owns them.

There is legitimately an argument as to why every one of these conspiracy theories is false starting with the 2012 draft.

Naturally people say "The NBA owned the Hornets and were trying to sell them, it must be a fix", I say... The Hornets had a combined (with their own pick and Minnesota's pick) .148 chance at winning the lottery, good for 3rd highest in the lottery. How is it outside the realm of possibility that a team with a 15% chance of winning won? Sure it seems "timely" and to the benefit of the league but statistically speaking there's no reason why the Hornets couldn't have won the lottery.

A similar argument can be followed for virtually every single "conspiracy" you may have. Plus people don't keep secrets forever, if these conspiracies did really happen we'll find out about it whether it's 20 years down the line or more, if these things happened someone will try and make money off of knowing, if this ever happens I'll hold up my hands and say I'm wrong.

Does Derrick Rose not count as a mega star? He was drafted by his hometown Bulls who had less than 2% chance of winning the lottery.

Charlotte might also have a good shot at winning the lottery. I keep thinking at some point the league will throw MJ another crack at number 1 after the Kwame Brown debacle.

The Bulls had a very small chance of winning that's correct but you've got to ask if Stern is so bias to large markets why he didn't throw Rose to the Knicks who would have been a much more "believable" team to win the lottery. If Rose had been from somewhere else would that make this theory less legitimate? Chicago is a big place where basketball is popular, just like New York, just like LA, it stands to reason that a lot of great players will come from these places and they have to play somewhere. For some reason human nature is to try and explain unlikely events with ridiculous theories when in real life it's entirely possible that these unlikely events happened because luck was on their side.

Stern is a brilliant, brilliant man. There is a certain naivety by those who are either to blind or refuse to see it. Stern is best marketer is the history of professional sports. Unlike football we can see the faces of the players. So many casual fans follow the player as opposed to a team. Naturally this caters to the larger markets where a Carmelo Anthony in NY will a much larger fan base and following then he would Denver.

If Casual fans follow players not teams why does it matter who plays where? That's the point, Lebron can play in Maimi because fans all around the world are suddenly Miami fans. If Dwight leaves LA for Golden State, Atlanta or Houston, which is actually the whole point of this thread, will that legitimize in your mind that the NBA doesn't seek to reinforce the huge franchises that are the Celtics, Lakers and Knicks and instead players just want to play for these franchises because they are storied franchises with tons of cash?

And yes, I am naive and blind, me who isn't believing theories about how the league is majorly corrupt to try and justify my blind hatred for specific players and franchises who have screwed over my own franchise.

I'm sure along the way there has been some corruption, just like there probably is in most major industries in the world, but to talk about the league like it's completely scripted defeats the point of even being a fan.

• Upvote 2

Really good post, I didn't repost it to save space. Agree 100%.

The current lottery system is actually very clear. Only the bottom teams have a chance at the best players. The playoff teams (including the big 3) have zero chance of getting the top picks. How is that rigged in favor of the big markets?

What the best players may choose to do 4-5 years after they're drafted has nothing to do with the lottery.

The Bulls had a very small chance of winning that's correct but you've got to ask if Stern is so bias to large markets why he didn't throw Rose to the Knicks who would have been a much more "believable" team to win the lottery. If Rose had been from somewhere else would that make this theory less legitimate? Chicago is a big place where basketball is popular, just like New York, just like LA, it stands to reason that a lot of great players will come from these places and they have to play somewhere. For some reason human nature is to try and explain unlikely events with ridiculous theories when in real life it's entirely possible that these unlikely events happened because luck was on their side.

If Casual fans follow players not teams why does it matter who plays where? That's the point, Lebron can play in Maimi because fans all around the world are suddenly Miami fans. If Dwight leaves LA for Golden State, Atlanta or Houston, which is actually the whole point of this thread, will that legitimize in your mind that the NBA doesn't seek to reinforce the huge franchises that are the Celtics, Lakers and Knicks and instead players just want to play for these franchises because they are storied franchises with tons of cash?

And yes, I am naive and blind, me who isn't believing theories about how the league is majorly corrupt to try and justify my blind hatred for specific players and franchises who have screwed over my own franchise.

I'm sure along the way there has been some corruption, just like there probably is in most major industries in the world, but to talk about the league like it's completely scripted defeats the point of even being a fan.

Who said anything about the league being scripted? This isn't WWE. Ultimately the league cannot control the decision of a free agent just like they can't control the outcome of the game, but it does have a strong ability to influence things. It is clear as day if you go back and watch game 6 of the Lakers/Kings in 2002 or Heat/Mavs in 2006. Until Donaghey started to bring things to light Lebron was allowed to straight up bull rush people and draw fouls. In no way is lowering your shoulder to purposely initiate contact not an offense foul unless you have a desire to market. Same as 2 steps and hop is a travel every time unless you don't call it. Stern suspended the largest star in league history for a whole season and got him to publicly announce he was retiring so not tarnish the league's image. If you don't believe that go back and read stories about how much money MJ was indebted in the six figures to big time cocaine dealers.

You cannot be serious if think Lebron in Cleveland is no less desirable than Lebron in Miami. This is marketing 101. Larger cities have larger populations which leads to a larger target audience. There is a large gap when it comes to tv rights between say Minnesota and LA. Kevin Love doesn't receive notary as the best pf in the game because he is stuck in a ****hole. Teams like LA, NY, and Boston have national followings. Find me die hard T-wolves fan outside of MN. If the Celtics completely suck they still have a fan base add in Lebron or whoever and all of sudden them with Lebron are the hottest thing in sports. Why do you think Stern pushes small market relo's? A large portion of the league's revenue is from advertising and endorsements. The money generated from ticket sales means very little. Sure Lebron sold out the Quicken Loans and had a Nike contract but not to the magnitude that he would playing for Miami.

It has nothing to do with trying to justify anything. I have no hatred for any player or team. Outside of Orlando I have no emotional attachments to anyone or team in the NBA. This are my opinions which I have formed through reading, visual observations, and having experience in business.