Sign in to follow this  
D-BoFats

Building a TRUE team... Magic Steps to Success!!!

All great players have something in common... They make their teammates better, but that's not to say the great player's teammates don't make the great player greater.

Didn't that sound great?

What's even greater is that the Magic have one of these "great" players. His name is Dwight Howard. If Magic management can put a TRUE team around him, we're sure to be a dynasty!

How do you build this so-called TRUE team? It's very simple. You just take your great player, and put complementary players around him.

Take J.J. Redick, for example. His shooting ability will make it hard for teams to double team Dwight. At the same time, when a team decides to double Dwight, they'll be leaving Redick wide open. They make each other better!

Every great team should also have a playmaker - A member of a team skilled in creating scoring opportunities for the team. Look at Steve Nash... His teammates are All-Stars because of him. That's not to say guys like Amare and Marion don't make Nash better. It's a two-way street!

Of course a guy like Trevor Ariza would really benefit from a guy like Steve Nash. That's because Ariza is a slasher, and good passers always find their teammates cutting toward the basket.

It wouldn't hurt if the playmaker and slasher could also shoot threes. That would really help Dwight.

What's the fifth guy supposed to be? The way I see it, the fifth peg should be Mr. Matchup. Say you're playing the Lakers... The fifth guy should probably be a good wing defender. Numero cinco is the position on the floor that gives you flexibility. It could be anybody, depending on the opposition.

With that said, let's look at the Magic... We only have 2 (possibly 3) guys that fit the bill. Dwight Howard, J.J. Redick, and Trevor Ariza. The pounder, the shooter, and the slasher, respectively. I'd like to see Redick improve his defense, and Ariza improve his outside shooting.

This summer, the Magic need to go after a playmaker. Perhaps Jameer Nelson is the right guy (he sure played like it on Monday), or maybe Travis Diener. We could even try to sign a guy like Billups (impossible, I know), or make a trade for a guy like Calderon (again, unlikely). Either way, we need a playmaker.

Then comes the coach... Every day I grow more convinced that Brian Hill is not the right man for the job. We need somebody that will take advantage of our players strenghts. We need a coach that will play the right guys.

Here's our to-do list...

1.) Get a new coach

2.) Develop Redick's defense and shooting

3.) Improve Ariza's shooting

4.) Find a playmaker

5.) Let Darko work on his versatility (he'd be a great fifth peg)

6.) Improve Dwight's free throw shooting

7.) Find another role player

Feel free to add to the list!

All great players have something in common... They make their teammates better, but that's not to say the great player's teammates don't make the great player greater.

Didn't that sound great?

What's even greater is that the Magic have one of these "great" players. His name is Dwight Howard. If Magic management can put a TRUE team around him, we're sure to be a dynasty!

How do you build this so-called TRUE team? It's very simple. You just take your great player, and put complementary players around him.

Take J.J. Redick, for example. His shooting ability will make it hard for teams to double team Dwight. At the same time, when a team decides to double Dwight, they'll be leaving Redick wide open. They make each other better!

Every great team should also have a playmaker - A member of a team skilled in creating scoring opportunities for the team. Look at Steve Nash... His teammates are All-Stars because of him. That's not to say guys like Amare and Marion don't make Nash better. It's a two-way street!

Of course a guy like Trevor Ariza would really benefit from a guy like Steve Nash. That's because Ariza is a slasher, and good passers always find their teammates cutting toward the basket.

It wouldn't hurt if the playmaker and slasher could also shoot threes. That would really help Dwight.

What's the fifth guy supposed to be? The way I see it, the fifth peg should be Mr. Matchup. Say you're playing the Lakers... The fifth guy should probably be a good wing defender. Numero cinco is the position on the floor that gives you flexibility. It could be anybody, depending on the opposition.

With that said, let's look at the Magic... We only have 2 (possibly 3) guys that fit the bill. Dwight Howard, J.J. Redick, and Trevor Ariza. The pounder, the shooter, and the slasher, respectively. I'd like to see Redick improve his defense, and Ariza improve his outside shooting.

This summer, the Magic need to go after a playmaker. Perhaps Jameer Nelson is the right guy (he sure played like it on Monday), or maybe Travis Diener. We could even try to sign a guy like Billups (impossible, I know), or make a trade for a guy like Calderon (again, unlikely). Either way, we need a playmaker.

Then comes the coach... Every day I grow more convinced that Brian Hill is not the right man for the job. We need somebody that will take advantage of our players strenghts. We need a coach that will play the right guys.

Here's our to-do list...

1.) Get a new coach

4.) Find a playmaker

quote:
Here's our to-do list...

1.) Get a new coach

4.) Find a playmaker

Great Post M8. But I don't think I could add anything extremely well stated. Good reading too. Wait I got one.

8.) Let Dwight and Darko play Their TRUE GAME... (Taking Jumpers for Example) they both want to so bad. But Management/Coaching are scared that they won't wanna play there Post Game anymore if they do give them the green light to shoot the Jumper. But I think thats what you meant by number 5.

If Darko was free to play his own game then he'd be a perfect fifth peg.

I'd much rather have Dwight work on his post game than his outside game. With his body, imagine his potential in the paint! I don't like the idea of him becoming a "Dirk" and shooting the ball more than scoring in the paint. But I'm not saying that Dwight having a good jumpshot is a bad thing. Sorry if it sounds like I'm contradicting myself there.

Jameer is our potential playmaker. This guy is a great passer when he wants to be, he's just got to get out of the shoot first mentality. Rather than looking for the game winning shot, he should look to be the one leading the game winning play.

If Ariza works on his jumper (like mentioned earlier), then he'd be a great threat to the defense. He can already a pretty strong player other than that.

Agree with you regarding Redick.

I think that our best options in the FA are VC or Rashard Lewis. I'm not really too well informed on what's out there for a lower price than those two, but for now I'll stay with them.

or make a trade for a guy like Calderon (again, unlikely).

Calderon and Arroyo.... The post was going good until you blurted that out. Do you really want two Puertorican PG's to complain about not getting enough burn?

I agree with most of the post but Dwight just needs to make free throws and learn to make short bank shots and a hook of some sort. Everyone needs to improve there defense...starting with Jameer...now he really sucks. He couldn't guard my 5 year old...oh wait he is almost as tall! JJ doesn't give up a 100 points a game..especially in 4 minutes of play!

quote:
Originally posted by nate dizzy:

Calderon and Arroyo.... The post was going good until you blurted that out. Do you really want two Puertorican PG's to complain about not getting enough burn?

I wouldn't be surprised about getting Calderon and keeping Arroyo. Would create some long threads in the zone.

quote:
Originally posted by nate dizzy:

or make a trade for a guy like Calderon (again, unlikely).

A.) Calderon is a Spaniard

B.) It doesn't matter where he's from

C.) I never said we would keep Arroyo

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

Here's our to-do list...

1.) Get a new coach

4.) Find a playmaker

Nice post I agree with most of the things you said and if you don't mind I will try to fill the list for you.

1. New coach: Patrick Ewing, probably the best guy to teach our young big men how to play their position.

2. J.J's defense: it will be hard for him to improve lateral quickness, size and strength are what make good defenders and he doesn't have any of them.

3. Ariza's shooting: his shooting will improve as soon as he is given the green light to shoot.

4. Find a playmaker: the best possible guy we can actually get is Mo Williams not a true point but a good playmaker and passer.

5. Darko: 3 and 5 on this have more to dod with the coach the the players they do what he says so they don't get pulled out of the game. Solved by my answer to #1

6. Improve Dwight's free throw shooting: First get him a good shooting coach, second give him the ball in critical situations and let him prove to himself and everyone else that he can get it done.

7. Find another role player: I think we could bring in J.R. Smith out of denver. He seems to be falling out of there rotation. Mabye a trade for Keith Bogans.

8. Sign Gerald Wallace: this guy reminds me of Ron Artest wothout the head case issues.

1. Get rid of the coach.

2. Let Darko play his game the way he played before being drafted.

3. Get Dwight a free throw coach, I'll put up with his turnovers if he were to make his freethrows.

4. Play Dwight and Darko together, why was Darko traded to the Magic? To help Dwight! How can he help Dwight if the coach won't start him?

5. Play JJ

6. Learn to play as a TEAM!