Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

JJ and Diener defensive liabilities

this league is changing, not one dominant defensive team went to the final four, detriot was probably the best and they werent the same detroit D that we seen in the past because of Lil Flip' S. The league wants to see offense, they are making it an offensive minded game, thats why you need a coach that can play great team defense and not just have 1 or 2 good defenders and everyone else be below average, even though i must say, when JJ played against the hawks, JJ played very well against JoeJ when he was on him, he kept him in front of him and prevented him from going to the basket, forcing him to take a bad shot or pass it, hes not a liability that people think; its the defense that duke runs, they play high pressure defense where you gamble and are liable to back door cuts if you are a good enough team. Thats why he average like 3 steals per game or close to it because hes good at stealing in the passing lane, but looked bad when he got burnt because he had to be sooo aggressive and doesnt have quite the athletcism to be able to recover. But if someone takes him 1 on 1 they are going to work hard for their shot because hes scrappy like Kirk Hinrichk, i mean he still is 6'4 1/2" inches tall, hes not that short and small.

Good point above--JJ is a lot taller/bigger/stronger than most give him credit for. Did anyone else notice at Denver in the 4th quarter, Dooling's man got an offensive rebound for an easy put back? You could see JJ on the bench talking to Garrity and drawing out the play. You had to wonder if he was thinking, "WTH? I should be in there."

I am in the NYC area and only get to watch the Magic games when they played the Knicks or Nets, but I noticed that the Magic tend to play zone when JJ is the game. However, JJ played four years of Duke man-to-man and Coach K despises zones. Even the national team indicated that they never practiced zones. Therefore, I think to expect JJ to come in and play a zone is setting him up for failure. (But then again, so is having him guard 6'10" Channing Frye in the post.)

However, I think a competent coach would try to balance strengths and weaknesses. If he were to play JJ at the same time as Dwight and Darko (instead of the second unit of Garrity and Outlaw), there would be an element of back line protection should JJ's man beat him off the dribble, serving as a deterent. And as mentioned numerous times on this board, his presence alone keeps defenders from sagging in on Dwight.

But what do I know.

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12:

Just looked it up the Magic rank 6th in the NBA in team defense but 28th in offense.

This is a very, very deceiving stat.

I would not say we rank 6th in team defense. I would say that maybe we rank 6th in least points allowed per game (assuming that is what that stat is based on; my apologies if I'm wrong).

If you run an offense that consistently uses up 18-24 seconds of every possession, it greatly reduces the number of possessions by both teams, thus greatly reducing the Points-per-game by the opposition. Not because of good defense, but because of a stalling offense.

The only game in recent memory that I can say that I thought the Magic played better than mediocre defense is the Bulls game.

6th in the league? We're not 6th in the East, I don't care what all the stats say.

By the way, Lavell12, I'm in no way attempting to critcize your post.

quote:
Originally posted by EarlHeff:

I am in the NYC area and only get to watch the Magic games when they played the Knicks or Nets, but I noticed that the Magic tend to play zone when JJ is the game. However, JJ played four years of Duke man-to-man and Coach K despises zones. Even the national team indicated that they never practiced zones. Therefore, I think to expect JJ to come in and

play a zone is setting him up for failure. (But then again, so is having him guard 6'10" Channing Frye in the post.)

However, I think a competent coach would try to balance strengths and weaknesses. If he were to play JJ at the same time as Dwight and Darko (instead of the second unit of Garrity and Outlaw), there would be an element of back line protection should JJ's man beat him off the dribble, serving as a deterent. And as mentioned numerous times on this board, his presence alone keeps defenders from sagging in on Dwight.

But what do I know.

Obviously you know more than our coach!!!!LOL

It really is not that complicated as everyone tries to make it out to be. As a team all you try and do is to put the pieces together to complete the perfect puzzle for other teams.

Jameer, JJ, Ariza, Darko, Howard; This is our best team to put on the floor, that complement each other the best.

How difficult can that be to see????

Jameer--- scorer

JJ- Shooter

Ariza-- slasher and great defender

Darko-- good inside or out and shot blocker

Howard-- Beast

This Line-up would be the hardest for other teams to defend...The other team really would not be able to double team with this line-up out there, because it is the best mix of shooters and slashers that we have......

And on rebounding, this group would lead the league at forwards and center.

Defensively, we would be solid with Ariza, Darko and Howard patrolling the middle, while Jameer and JJ, just have to stay in front of there men or at least funnel them toward the Twin Towers....

I think Brian knows he needs to make the playoffs to keep his job. For that reason alone, he is going to play vets lots of minutes and totally ignore player developement.

You may not see JJ or Travis again this year. I would not be surprised for him to put Battie back in as starter as well.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I think Brian knows he needs to make the playoffs to keep his job. For that reason alone, he is going to play vets lots of minutes and totally ignore player developement.

You may not see JJ or Travis again this year. I would not be surprised for him to put Battie back in as starter as well.

I know what your are saying, and I think B Hill thinks this too.

BUT, he is not winning with the Vets, and the team does not even look very good most nights with those vets playing. So, you would think if he really cared about making the play-offs and keeping his job he would try to change something??????

I really think he is just hard headed and cannot change his rotations now, because it would make it look like he caved to the outside pressure to make changes.

B Hill is not a good coach, but he is a good Dictator, with his my way or no way approach...

Watch out Chavez and Castro, there is a new Dictator on the block!!!!! LOL

Its sad that players like JJ and Travis are judged by a coach of hills stature. If he is such a great coach, and everyone claims he is a great defensive coach, then why hasn't he ever been asked to coach the world or olympic team? Why did they ask Coach K who is a lowly college coach to take over? He must of taught JJ lousy defense, doesn't know how to develop a team and team work, and of course he is a lousy judge of talent because he not only asked JJ to partcipate but Dwight also. But everyone is right Hill is a great coach and developer of talent. Its not his fault that we have become a disoriented club without focus or desire. It has to be those lousy assistant coaches giving him bad advice, either that or Fratello.

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I know what your are saying, and I think B Hill thinks this too.

BUT, he is not winning with the Vets, and the team does not even look very good most nights with those vets playing. So, you would think if he really cared about making the play-offs and keeping his job he would try to change something??????

I really think he is just hard headed and cannot change his rotations now, because it would make it look like he caved to the outside pressure to make changes.

B Hill is not a good coach, but he is a good Dictator, with his my way or no way approach...

Watch out Chavez and Castro, there is a new Dictator on the block!!!!! LOL

I agree wholeheartly, I think he is digging his own grave by going with less talented vets.

But I gave up trying to make sense of pretty much any of decisions this season.

I wonder if we dont make the playoffs will Otis fire Brian?

He has said he has faith in Hill, so will he just throw the old curve at us that this is still a young team an that Brian is the answer?