Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

JJ and Diener defensive liabilities

quote:
Originally posted by EarlHeff:

I am in the NYC area and only get to watch the Magic games when they played the Knicks or Nets, but I noticed that the Magic tend to play zone when JJ is the game. However, JJ played four years of Duke man-to-man and Coach K despises zones. Even the national team indicated that they never practiced zones. Therefore, I think to expect JJ to come in and play a zone is setting him up for failure. (But then again, so is having him guard 6'10" Channing Frye in the post.)

However, I think a competent coach would try to balance strengths and weaknesses. If he were to play JJ at the same time as Dwight and Darko (instead of the second unit of Garrity and Outlaw), there would be an element of back line protection should JJ's man beat him off the dribble, serving as a deterent. And as mentioned numerous times on this board, his presence alone keeps defenders from sagging in on Dwight.

But what do I know.

More than the coach!

I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread. EarlHeff, I watch most Magic games, and it's not just against the Knicks and Nets that Bhill plays zone with JJ in, it's most of the time and against everyone (that he gets in against).

Bhill insists on using a lineup of Arroyo, Dooling, JJ together...this puts JJ at the 3. Our 'defensive coach' is playing 6'4" 190lb(?) JJ at the small forward!! I can't fathom why this lineup looks good to him on paper, much less on court.

I too believe Dooling is an overrated defender and a ball hog. In my humble opinion, the best move the Magic could make right now is to get Dooling out of the rotation.

Also, EarlHeff & TheJambo has a very valid points, if we want production out of JJ it needs to be with some players that he can compliment.

This team is just a waste of young talent.

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

Jameer, JJ, Ariza, Darko, Howard; This is our best team to put on the floor, that complement each other the best.

How difficult can that be to see????

Jameer--- scorer

JJ- Shooter

Ariza-- slasher and great defender

Darko-- good inside or out and shot blocker

Howard-- Beast

Except for the fact Jameer isn't a point guard period. Except for his size he's a pure SG only that in this team he's the one that coach usess to bring the ball down court, thats it!

Unless you have a team with a load of talent and every player can score at will like Phoenix, Dallas, you need a PG that can distribute the ball and make the other players better. In our team it's a necessity since some of our players have little experience and we don't run any kind of strategy on offense, so pretty much everyone's on their own.

An example which was painfully obvious in the SA game:

I've saw Nelson not pass the ball to an unguarded Howard right near the basket on more than one occation because he goes all crazy running towards the basket for a layup. That really kills us. Rarely do people double jameer, half of the time the layup comes out and half of the time he gets it blocked and there's no foul on the opponent.

I'm watching the guy and he can score because he does play hard, but he does not fit into the offense at all. His players get zero benefit with him at the PG position.

Travis while nowhere as athletic, is no more of a defensive liability than Jameer or Carlos, and does a more than adequate job of distributing the ball and can definitely give everyone else more touches. So they don't want Travis, ok trade somebody or get someone in the draft because we need a PG, bad.