Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Interesting Stuff From Chad Ford's Chat

jim (philly): Where will Darko, Gerald Wallace, and Rashard Lewis end up next year?

Chad Ford: The Bobcats will have the most money to throw their way. They'll be roughly $31 million under the cap. They could sign all three if they wanted to. I keep reading that the Magic are the only other team over the cap. That's not really true. The team could be roughly $17 million under but they'd have to waive Darko to get there. Darko has a whopping $13 million cap hold, so until they do something with him (sign him or let him sign somewhere else) they really only have $4 million to play with. The Grizzlies, Bucks and Hawks also have significant cap room ... assuming they don't re-sign their free agents. In the Bucks case that's unlikely given how well Maurice Williams has played.

harry (NY): Can you explain the cap hold? Why is it 13 million for Darko? So if they do nothing with him and he signs for the qualifying offer then the cap hold still takes effect?

Chad Ford: No ... the minute he signs with the Magic you use the actual number he signed for. Or, if he signs with another team and the Magic don't match or if the team just waives him (very unlikely) then his cap hold comes off the book. So for example, if Darko signs with a starting salary of $6 million, his cap hold goes away and it's replaced by the $6 million. In that scenario, the Magic would have $11 million left to spend in free agency.

Andrew (Newark): Why would Vince Carter opt out of a contract that would pay him $16M - nobody in their right mind would give a 30 year old whiner with his body a long-term deal - would they?

Chad Ford: You might be right. No one was really willing to give up much for him before the trade deadline. Of the teams with cap space ... the Bobcats and Magic are the best fits. The Bobcats can afford him, but given where their team is ... not sure why they'd pay a huge salary to a 30 year old. For the Magic, they have to resolve Darko first and even then, from what I hear, I think they prefer Rashard Lewis because he's both younger and cheaper. However, don't rule out sign-and-trades as another way for Carter to get his money somewhere else.

That is interesting about the cap hold. I never really knew that although someone may have posted something about it. I guess the decision on Darko will have to happen rather quickly.

jim (philly): Where will Darko, Gerald Wallace, and Rashard Lewis end up next year?

Chad Ford: The Bobcats will have the most money to throw their way. They'll be roughly $31 million under the cap. They could sign all three if they wanted to. I keep reading that the Magic are the only other team over the cap. That's not really true. The team could be roughly $17 million under but they'd have to waive Darko to get there. Darko has a whopping $13 million cap hold, so until they do something with him (sign him or let him sign somewhere else) they really only have $4 million to play with. The Grizzlies, Bucks and Hawks also have significant cap room ... assuming they don't re-sign their free agents. In the Bucks case that's unlikely given how well Maurice Williams has played.

harry (NY): Can you explain the cap hold? Why is it 13 million for Darko? So if they do nothing with him and he signs for the qualifying offer then the cap hold still takes effect?

Chad Ford: No ... the minute he signs with the Magic you use the actual number he signed for. Or, if he signs with another team and the Magic don't match or if the team just waives him (very unlikely) then his cap hold comes off the book. So for example, if Darko signs with a starting salary of $6 million, his cap hold goes away and it's replaced by the $6 million. In that scenario, the Magic would have $11 million left to spend in free agency.

Andrew (Newark): Why would Vince Carter opt out of a contract that would pay him $16M - nobody in their right mind would give a 30 year old whiner with his body a long-term deal - would they?

Chad Ford: You might be right. No one was really willing to give up much for him before the trade deadline. Of the teams with cap space ... the Bobcats and Magic are the best fits. The Bobcats can afford him, but given where their team is ... not sure why they'd pay a huge salary to a 30 year old. For the Magic, they have to resolve Darko first and even then, from what I hear, I think they prefer Rashard Lewis because he's both younger and cheaper. However, don't rule out sign-and-trades as another way for Carter to get his money somewhere else.

That is interesting about the cap hold. I never really knew that although someone may have posted something about it. I guess the decision on Darko will have to happen rather quickly.

I'd take Carter over Lewis, 3 years isn't a big diference in age. Carter not only is better on defense but is more exciting to watch (we need more excitement badly)

Bring Carter here, trade Arroyo (for cap room) and every game will be a guaranteed sellout.

There were rummors our gem of a coach didn't want Carter here, I'd like to know how true that was. If true that would defenitely mean he's scared Vince could pull another Penny on him.

B.Hill especially being one who's only concerned about defense, should know Carter plays defense and Lewis does not.

I would take either. Both are bona fide scorers. Carter has better defense, but Rashard has a more deadly outside shot, which is what we desperately need. I would take either though, they're both amazing.

there's no need to worry about the cap as long as Darko signs right away with us. just like the way the Cavs were able to sign Hughes ans re-sign Z.