Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

John Hollinger's ESPN Insider Top 25 Free Agent List for this summer

My head is spinning. I don't envy Otis' position at all. Could over spend on Darko. Could also over spend on Vince. How do you juggle the pros and cons of signing big time contracts when players like Pietrus, Wallace, Mo Pete, Travis Outlaw, etc are available?

From strictly a business perspective, I would probably target players like Pietrus, Wallace and Outlaw while letting Darko walk. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see both Vince & Darko in Orlando (actually, I would prefer it), but from a dollars and cents perspective, I beleive it makes much more sense to sign a few affordable commodities that can play defined roles along side Dwight, Jameer, Ariza as opposed to breaking the bank. That's just if it was my money that was being spent. Since it's somebody elses money...Vince, Come on home!

Now, I posted this because as I said earlier Hollinger said Rashard Lewis plays no defense.

In Chad Ford's chat today I found this:

quote:
Andrew (Newark): Why would Vince Carter opt out of a contract that would pay him $16M - nobody in their right mind would give a 30 year old whiner with his body a long-term deal - would they?

Chad Ford: You might be right. No one was really willing to give up much for him before the trade deadline. Of the teams with cap space ... the Bobcats and Magic are the best fits. The Bobcats can afford him, but given where their team is ... not sure why they'd pay a huge salary to a 30 year old. For the Magic, they have to resolve Darko first and even then, from what I hear, I think they prefer Rashard Lewis because he's both younger and cheaper. However, don't rule out sign-and-trades as another way for Carter to get his money somewhere else.

Two questions, 1.) Was anyone else aware of or been reading stuff that suggests the Magic are interested more in Lewis than Carter?

2.) How could he fit on our team with all the small forwards we already have?

IMO, it makes no sense for the Magic to be interested in Lewis. We already have Ariza waiting in the wings to play SF and Rashard would not be a favorite of B Hill with his lack of defensive intensity.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

My head is spinning. I don't envy Otis' position at all. Could over spend on Darko. Could also over spend on Vince. How do you juggle the pros and cons of signing big time contracts when players like Pietrus, Wallace, Mo Pete, Travis Outlaw, etc are available?

From strictly a business perspective, I would probably target players like Pietrus, Wallace and Outlaw while letting Darko walk. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see both Vince & Darko in Orlando (actually, I would prefer it), but from a dollars and cents perspective, I beleive it makes much more sense to sign a few affordable commodities that can play defined roles along side Dwight, Jameer, Ariza as opposed to breaking the bank. That's just if it was my money that was being spent. Since it's somebody elses money...Vince, Come on home!

We need a guy who can create and make big shots coming down the stretch. I really only see three guys fully capable of filling that role night in and out. Billups, Carter and Lewis, but that is why those guys are All-Stars.

Wallace is a heck of a player but his outside shooting limits him down the stretch. Like Ariza, he is a solid jump shot away from being an All-Star.

Mo Williams is the next best offensive force, but his size is too small for a regular SG and I don't see the club giving up on Jameer yet.

Billups will likely stay in Detroit, he may visit other places to make sure the Pistons don't low ball him. But the city will go nuts if Dumars does not re-sign him after losing Big Ben last year.

Leaving Lewis and Carter as the most likely prospects that can actually make a huge difference here.

Lewis could be the guy that gets the most attention due to his size, shooting and younger age.

I would be happy with Carter or Lewis.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Two questions, 1.) Was anyone else aware of or been reading stuff that suggests the Magic are interested more in Lewis than Carter?

2.) How could he fit on our team with all the small forwards we already have?

It could be a ploy, so Vince does not try to break the bank here. Although we could put Ariza at SG and let him guard everyones best scorers (Kobe, T-Mac, Hamilton, etc.) night in and out.

quote:

Man, there are zero big men available in free agency this year. That might drive up Darko's value.

True, but it is a deep big man draft. Hopefully Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis and Milwaukee will all get big men in the draft and decide to use any cap room to fill other holes.

quote:

Man, there are zero big men available in free agency this year. That might drive up Darko's value.

You're right, although we may get a little relief from teams fighting to get Gasol and KG in trades, since it looks like both may be available.

Plus this is a fairly 'big' draft class.

I wouldn't mind if we sign someone like Travis Outlaw. But we can't spend much on him because we still need a SG but if we land a SG I'd say sign Travis Outlaw. This is going to be one of the biggest off-seasons of our franchise

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

GET MO WIL

I like him, but we don't need another shoot first point guard?

Milwaukee has made a lot of noise about going after Billups. But might be better off re-signing Mo Williams and going after Gerald Wallace or Rashard Lewis.

I don't see Memphis being much of a player. Jerry West is retiring and the owner might be selling the club.

Charlotte is the wild card, they could have enough cap room to sign TWO max free agents. They could be the ones that bust the market for us on Darko. Brezec has been a huge disappointment for them this year. Which might actually work in favor, they may not want another European big whose work ethic has been questioned in the past. I think they draft another big in the draft and go hard after re-signing Wallace and free agent Rashard Lewis. Giving them an athletic pair of swingman, then bring Morrison off the bench.

Mo can actually play the 2 guard, and he has a dead-eye three point shot. I wouldn't mind him.

We already have a 2 guard on the bench that has a dead-eye three point shot, but coach don't play him. HINT: JJ