Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Castaway

Jeff Van Gundy: Dwight Howard should leave Lakers and return to Magic

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree that Dwight should come back to Orlando?

2. 2. Do you think the Magic should or would bring him back even he wanted to return?

"You know what he (Dwight) should do?" Van Gundy, the ABC and ESPN analyst, said on our Open Mike radio show Wednesday morning. "He should fly back to Central Florida and say, 'My bad ... I want to come home. This is where I grew up. I left it bad, and I want to come back as a free agent.' "

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/open-mike/os-jeff-van-gundy-dwight-howard-should-leave-lakers-and-return-to-orlando-magic-20130605,0,906158.post

"You know what he (Dwight) should do?" Van Gundy, the ABC and ESPN analyst, said on our Open Mike radio show Wednesday morning. "He should fly back to Central Florida and say, 'My bad ... I want to come home. This is where I grew up. I left it bad, and I want to come back as a free agent.' "

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/open-mike/os-jeff-van-gundy-dwight-howard-should-leave-lakers-and-return-to-orlando-magic-20130605,0,906158.post

The two worst things that could happen with Howard leaving Orlando is 1) the Magic become the worst team in the league; and 2) Howard wins a title elsewhere.

The first thing has already happened and Magic fans have dealt with it pretty well. The 2nd thing isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

My point is, I think the average Magic fan is in a pretty good place right now, all things considered. I don't know that dredging up this kind of fantasy story is worth it. Sure, it would make the Magic better, but now, Dwight has quite a bit of tarnish on him. It just isn't the same as it would have been had he simply never left us.

Also, Bianchi's comment about coming back and playing for Stan is unnecessarily throwing Jacque Vaughn under the bus. I believe that SVG is one of the best coaches in the league, but now that Vaughn is here, he deserves a chance to see what he can do with a young squad that will continue to rebuild with young pieces.

• Upvote 2

The two worst things that could happen with Howard leaving Orlando is 1) the Magic become the worst team in the league; and 2) Howard wins a title elsewhere.

The first thing has already happened and Magic fans have dealt with it pretty well. The 2nd thing isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

My point is, I think the average Magic fan is in a pretty good place right now, all things considered. I don't know that dredging up this kind of fantasy story is worth it. Sure, it would make the Magic better, but now, Dwight has quite a bit of tarnish on him. It just isn't the same as it would have been had he simply never left us.

Also, Bianchi's comment about coming back and playing for Stan is unnecessarily throwing Jacque Vaughn under the bus. I believe that SVG is one of the best coaches in the league, but now that Vaughn is here, he deserves a chance to see what he can do with a young squad that will continue to rebuild with young pieces.

I would take him back if he's willing to take less money which I doubt it. I'm starting to think he regrets forcing us to trade him because he's not the global superstar like he used to be.

• Upvote 1

precisely why I voted HELL NO! on both questions ...

That scenario would certainly be the best for Dwight in terms of PR, but that ship has sailed for both parties.

Like Dwight always said, "This is a business". Luckily, the brainwashing didn't carryover to the fans. I hold Dwight to his logic and approach to the NBA. I would want the Magic to make an offer that is less than his false belief of what he's actually worth. A bucket of clams would suffice.

I don't mind the Magic considering him as a free agent and offering him money. Removing all the tar and poisonous lead of emotional distress he's left the fans, players and organization with, its the right business move to make a reasonable offer to Dwight Howard.

However, factoring all emotions into consideration, he can ***** off. He's a cancer.......to every team he's on now and it will not stop. IIts pretty sad that its elementary. He should be the first person in line, the only one using the swings, and he should get the most pizza's at 2:00 B Lunch period.

He's a cancer to teams, to coaches, fans, and mostly to himself.

Let's sign him for the max, offer hedo an extension, sign Lewis via FA and trade for Lee!

Then hire Erick Dampier to tear Jameer's shoulder again, then we can go after Rafer Alston!!!!

I voted hell no on both because the Magic are building a team that plays team ball and doesn't revolve around 1 player. This is going to be our system and it's going to work. For the 1st time in a long time we have assets that teams want, we have cap space coming up, and we have young guys that may just develop into something special! No room for Dwama!

While I dislike Howard for leaving, and especially in the way he did, I would from a fans perspective accept him back. If he did come back this off season, and personally I don't see it happening, our lineup could be quite competitive;

- Nelson, McLemore, Harris/Harkless, Vučević, Howard

- Bledsoe, McLemore, Harris/Harkless, Vučević, Howard

I think both line ups would have potential, but like a few posters have mentioned we are rebuilding around a good core of young talent, and trying not to be centered on one guy (though one guy you would center around is LeBron in 2014 if he opts out, or 2015 if he doesn't re-sign; or Durant).