Sign in to follow this  
LaVar

Player Matrix

When teams look at players they normally evaluate them with a Matrix. So, I wanted to do a matrix to show how I see each player and how they compare in different categories. (The best way to do a matrix is to have a different matrix for each position and to list all prospect, but I wanted to quickly post something.)

In my scouting, Victor rated the highest. He scored 116 on the matrix with Burke coming in second at 108.

Before the Matrix my Big Board was:

1) Burke

2) BMac

3) Victor

4) Noel (I don't like injuried players)

5) Porter

Here is the Matrics results:

Player: Trey Burke

Matrix Score = 108

Dribbling = 9

Passing = 9

3pt Shooting = 8

Mid Range Shooting = 9

Finishing at the rim = 6

Creating Offense = 8

Intangibles = 9

Defensive Instincts = 6

Size for Position = 8

Athleticism = 7

Motor = 7

Blocks = 6

Steals = 5

Rebounding = 4

Potential Allstar Upside = 7

Player: Ben Mclemore

Matrix Score = 98

Dribbling = 6

Passing = 7

3pt Shooting = 10

Mid Range Shooting = 8

Finishing at the rim = 7

Creating Offense = 5

Intangibles = 5

Defensive Instincts = 6

Size for Position = 7

Athleticism = 9

Motor = 7

Blocks = 4

Steals = 5

Rebounding = 4

Potential Allstar upside = 8

Player: Victor Oladipo

Matrix Score = 116

Dribbling = 7

Passing = 5

3pt Shooting = 6

Mid Range Shooting = 7

Finishing at the rim = 10

Creating Offense = 7

Intangibles = 9

Defensive Instincts = 10

Size for Position = 8

Athleticism = 10

Motor = 10

Blocks = 4

Steals = 10

Rebounding = 6

Potential Allstar upside = 7

Player: Otto Porter

Matrix Score = 105

Dribbling = 6

Passing = 8

3pt Shooting = 10

Mid Range Shooting = 8

Finishing at the rim = 6

Creating Offense = 5

Intangibles = 7

Defensive Instincts = 7

Size for Position = 9

Athleticism = 6

Motor = 8

Blocks = 7

Steals = 5

Rebounding = 8

Potential Allstar upside = 5

Player: Nerlens Noel

Matrix Score = 102

Dribbling = 3

Passing = 6

3pt Shooting = 0

Mid Range Shooting = 2

Finishing at the rim = 10

Creating Offense = 5

Intangibles = 5

Defensive Instincts = 10

Size for Position = 7

Athleticism = 10

Motor = 8

Blocks = 10

Steals = 8

Rebounding = 9

Potential Allstar upside = 9

What do you think of my ratings in each spot? Does it look fair? How would your ratings and ranking look?

Good work! I think other than maybe being a bit too liberal with the 10's handed out, this is a nice way to attempt to rank the players. The only 10's IMO should probably be on the defensive side for pre-injury Noel. I question a 10 for Otto's 3Pt shooting in particular and believe Oladipo's ratings give the false impression of a separation from the rest of the group that does not really exist on the court. Maybe the defensive categories are being weighted a bit too heavily or there's simply too many of them?

How are these matrices? They're just grades out of ten in categories.

Anyway I'm not sure I agree with the way you're ranking things. Are these relative to position or each other? Example, Noel is a lot better rebounder than Porter but only ranks 1 point higher. Also Oladipo and McLemore are pretty much exactly the same size but Dipo gets 1 extra point and both score too highly when you consider that neither has elite size at SG. Also, no way in hell is Otto Porter a better 3pt shooter than Burke despite what the %'s say. Another comment on the "size for position" thing, Trey Burke shouldn't be an eight because MCW would be a 10 and so Burke, whilst being a LOT shorter only loses 2 points for it.

Overall I don't think this is the best way to scout, a more comprehensive way would involve weighted values based on the importance of that category. For example rebounding and blocking shorts aren't nearly as important for a PG as they are for a C. And a C doesn't need creating offense or dribbling nearly as much as a PG. I don't draft a C to create offense nor do I expect him to work on it when he becomes a pro so why would I grade him on it?

• Upvote 1

Good work! I think other than maybe being a bit too liberal with the 10's handed out, this is a nice way to attempt to rank the players. The only 10's IMO should probably be on the defensive side for pre-injury Noel. I question a 10 for Otto's 3Pt shooting in particular and believe Oladipo's ratings give the false impression of a separation from the rest of the group that does not really exist on the court. Maybe the defensive categories are being weighted a bit too heavily or there's simply too many of them?

Thanks

I am looking in to your suggests.

I had porters 3pt shooting at 9 but the stats show porter as better in % than bmac. Therefore, I had to change it.

I have 7 offensive stats and 7 defensive stats. The final weighing factor was Allstar potential.

How are these matrices? They're just grades out of ten in categories.

Anyway I'm not sure I agree with the way you're ranking things. Are these relative to position or each other? Example, Noel is a lot better rebounder than Porter but only ranks 1 point higher. Also Oladipo and McLemore are pretty much exactly the same size but Dipo gets 1 extra point and both score too highly when you consider that neither has elite size at SG. Also, no way in hell is Otto Porter a better 3pt shooter than Burke despite what the %'s say. Another comment on the "size for position" thing, Trey Burke shouldn't be an eight because MCW would be a 10 and so Burke, whilst being a LOT shorter only loses 2 points for it.

Overall I don't think this is the best way to scout, a more comprehensive way would involve weighted values based on the importance of that category. For example rebounding and blocking shorts aren't nearly as important for a PG as they are for a C. And a C doesn't need creating offense or dribbling nearly as much as a PG. I don't draft a C to create offense nor do I expect him to work on it when he becomes a pro so why would I grade him on it?

The ranking is by position. How each player will do in there position.

I was going to have a matrix for big man and perimeter players but their is only one Big worth talking about.

Noel is 206 lbs at PF or C, so he losses ground at his position. porter has good size for sf.

Victor is 2 inches longer than BMac. 6'9 Wingspan verse 6'7.

Yes, MCW would be a 10, but burke is above average at pg size. The average PG wingspan is 6"4 and Burke is 6"6 (6"5.5' to be exact). MCW wingspan is only 6'7.

"Overall I don't think this is the best way to scout, a more comprehensive way would involve weighted values based on the importance of that category. For example rebounding and blocking shorts aren't nearly as important for a PG as they are for a C. And a C doesn't need creating offense or dribbling nearly as much as a PG. I don't draft a C to create offense nor do I expect him to work on it when he becomes a pro so why would I grade him on it?

I totally agree but I wanted to quickly post something. The best way to do it is to have a matrix for each position and prospect.

McLemore's intangibles, rebounding, steals, blocks defensive instincts are a little low also why does Burke have higher mid range shot than McLemore?

Also just the intangibles, how is Burke and Oladipo a 9 while Noel and McLemore are 5

McLemore's intangibles, rebounding, steals, blocks defensive instincts are a little low also why does Burke have higher mid range shot than McLemore?

Also just the intangibles, how is Burke and Oladipo a 9 while Noel and McLemore are 5

it is hard to lead on the bench, so you can not give noel a high number on intangibles. McLemore runs away from the ball at important moments in the game. He is not a vocal leader. He does not make others better outside of his shooting.

Mclemore shoots less mid range shots than burke because he can not create off the dribble or play pick and roll. He does not have a motor to create consistent space off screens. McLemore is more of a spot up shooter and transition player. Burke can create off the dribble, pick and roll. Burke processes a very good step back shot from mid range.

Mclemore has low defensive awareness, a low motor, average nba sg size at 6"4 - 6"5 height and 6" 7 wingspan. He is not a better shot blocker at sg than Victor.

The defensive rankings are more based on position. Burke at pg was second on his team in blocks. He had 20. (.5 blocks per game) At burke's position he is above average in length at 6"6 wingspan.

I see too many flaws to put much weight into this system. I see negative biases toward Noel and McLemore and a postive bias toward Burke.

I see too many flaws to put much weight into this system. I see negative biases toward Noel and McLemore and a postive bias toward Burke.

but Nerl(ens), you dont state any areas that you see bias. I had ben second best on my wish list before I thought of the matrix.

What bias do you speak of?

even if i sub in post move for 3 point shooting or strength for dribbling. Noel's rating would be about the same, so I saw no reason to change the listings for one big.