Sign in to follow this  
ThefutureGM

-----

Okay, sorry it has to happen on this one, FutureGM, but I'm just so tired of reading these over and over and over.

Am I Otis' number one fan? No, but really, even his really effed up moves have turned out to be pretty good.

Here's what I'm talking about (and keep in mind I freely admit I was calling for his head at the time of some of these moves. In hindsight, they were the right move.

1) Drafted Fran. Jury's out on this one, but ESPN and others had the dude marked pretty high. How was anyone supposed to know he'd bolt like that? So that's a bad move, but not entirely on Otis, since Weisbrod had just surprise-resigned a month or so earlier to pursue his hockey career.

2) Drafted Dwight. Okay, no brainer here, right? Wrong - Okafor had just won the NCAA championship and promised to be quite a rebounder and shot-blocker. Dwight was just another high-school kid trying to get in before the NBA changed the rules. It looked like a dumb, dumb move that first year, when Okafor owned Dwight each time they met. How times change. This wasn't all Otis, obviously, so let's move on.

3) Drafted Jameer. Dude's still starter quality for both us and a lot of other teams in the NBA. Undersized, sure, but a good leader.

4) Drafted Deiner and then let him go in free agency this year. (Hutchence is going to crazy but) what has Deiner done since he left? For the Pacers, he's now averaging 13 minutes a game, 5.5 points, and 2 assists. Not bad, but he could have done that here. In fact, for his first two years, that's about where he was.

5) Got Dooling. Okay, not the best PG in the league, but our best defender at that position, so pretty good signing, all things considered.

6) Got Darko and Arroyo for Cato and a 1st rounder. Turned out pretty well for us, right? Until...

7) Lost Darko in the whole "Signing 'Shard"-thang. Let's see, playing next to Dwight, Darko's numbers were... 8pts, 5.5rbs, 1.1ast, and 1.8blks. Not bad. Now? In Memphis? 6.4pts, 5.6rbs, 1ast, and 2blks. Huh. Didn't quite dominate the league when he left, did he? Minutes? 23.9 vs 24. So I guess we'll live.

8) Lost Grant Hill. Uh, the dude just up and left. Thanks for the stay, dudemar! Glad we could rehab that leg of yours while you munched up the cap! Break a leg! Don't think we can pin that on Otis.

9) Signed Rashard. Okay, yeah - slogged down the cap for that one, but with defenses focusing on 'Shard and Dwight, what's happened? Hedo's blown up. Could we have gotten him for less? Maybe. Probably. But we DO have him and we're a better team for it.

10) Traded Ariza for Cook and Evans. Boy, this one looked dumb! Ariza was shaping up to be a pretty good player in our rotation and was a pretty good defensive stopper (one of the few on the roster). Then he's traded away?! Well, here's how it's worked since he left: Ariza's stats with the Magic this year - 6.5pts, 3.5rbs, 1.5asts, 1.1stls, .3blks. Not a bad stat line. The TWO players we got for him? 4.3pts, 1.3rbs, .3blks, and 7.6pts, 2.8rbs, .9asts, and .2blks. So that's a combined 11.9pts, 4.7rbs etc. And that doesn't take into consideration their recent play now that they've adjusted to Orlando. Not such a bad move.

Granted, there are times that I want Otis to sign this player or that player, to keep this player or that player (Travis and Darko and Trevor come to mind ), but his moves have worked, which is more than I can say for a lot of the teams in the league.

Is he a genius? Probably not, but his moves haven't quite deserved the poo-chucking that's occurred with everything he does or doesn't do. He can't very well kidnap Jason Kidd, he can't just offer unlimited wealth to anyone he wants. I think we still have to be patient, because as the above shows: his moves actually haven't been all that bad in hindsight.

I echo the sentiments of both Tough Break and 30Assists. For all the bashing Otis gets on this forum, his moves haven't undermined the team and it can be argued that they've improved it.

I was a supporter of the Ariza trade from day one. And it continues to be bashed by most people on here, but the results are beginning to indicate that it was a good move. I have a feeling this won't matter much, though. Most of the people doing the Otis bashing don't seem to care much about results, just whether Otis can make an NBA Live trade.

Like these guys have said above, Otis isn't a genius. But so far he has made moves that have worked out. And I'm happy with that.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

Okay, sorry it has to happen on this one, FutureGM, but I'm just so tired of reading these over and over and over.

Am I Otis' number one fan? No, but really, even his really effed up moves have turned out to be pretty good.

Here's what I'm talking about (and keep in mind I freely admit I was calling for his head at the time of some of these moves. In hindsight, they were the right move.

1) Drafted Fran. Jury's out on this one, but ESPN and others had the dude marked pretty high. How was anyone supposed to know he'd bolt like that? So that's a bad move, but not entirely on Otis, since Weisbrod had just surprise-resigned a month or so earlier to pursue his hockey career.

2) Drafted Dwight. Okay, no brainer here, right? Wrong - Okafor had just won the NCAA championship and promised to be quite a rebounder and shot-blocker. Dwight was just another high-school kid trying to get in before the NBA changed the rules. It looked like a dumb, dumb move that first year, when Okafor owned Dwight each time they met. How times change. This wasn't all Otis, obviously, so let's move on.

3) Drafted Jameer. Dude's still starter quality for both us and a lot of other teams in the NBA. Undersized, sure, but a good leader.

4) Drafted Deiner and then let him go in free agency this year. (Hutchence is going to crazy but) what has Deiner done since he left? For the Pacers, he's now averaging 13 minutes a game, 5.5 points, and 2 assists. Not bad, but he could have done that here. In fact, for his first two years, that's about where he was.

5) Got Dooling. Okay, not the best PG in the league, but our best defender at that position, so pretty good signing, all things considered.

6) Got Darko and Arroyo for Cato and a 1st rounder. Turned out pretty well for us, right? Until...

7) Lost Darko in the whole "Signing 'Shard"-thang. Let's see, playing next to Dwight, Darko's numbers were... 8pts, 5.5rbs, 1.1ast, and 1.8blks. Not bad. Now? In Memphis? 6.4pts, 5.6rbs, 1ast, and 2blks. Huh. Didn't quite dominate the league when he left, did he? Minutes? 23.9 vs 24. So I guess we'll live.

8) Lost Grant Hill. Uh, the dude just up and left. Thanks for the stay, dudemar! Glad we could rehab that leg of yours while you munched up the cap! Break a leg! Don't think we can pin that on Otis.

9) Signed Rashard. Okay, yeah - slogged down the cap for that one, but with defenses focusing on 'Shard and Dwight, what's happened? Hedo's blown up. Could we have gotten him for less? Maybe. Probably. But we DO have him and we're a better team for it.

10) Traded Ariza for Cook and Evans. Boy, this one looked dumb! Ariza was shaping up to be a pretty good player in our rotation and was a pretty good defensive stopper (one of the few on the roster). Then he's traded away?! Well, here's how it's worked since he left: Ariza's stats with the Magic this year - 6.5pts, 3.5rbs, 1.5asts, 1.1stls, .3blks. Not a bad stat line. The TWO players we got for him? 4.3pts, 1.3rbs, .3blks, and 7.6pts, 2.8rbs, .9asts, and .2blks. So that's a combined 11.9pts, 4.7rbs etc. And that doesn't take into consideration their recent play now that they've adjusted to Orlando. Not such a bad move.

Granted, there are times that I want Otis to sign this player or that player, to keep this player or that player (Travis and Darko and Trevor come to mind ), but his moves have worked, which is more than I can say for a lot of the teams in the league.

Is he a genius? Probably not, but his moves haven't quite deserved the poo-chucking that's occurred with everything he does or doesn't do. He can't very well kidnap Jason Kidd, he can't just offer unlimited wealth to anyone he wants. I think we still have to be patient, because as the above shows: his moves actually haven't been all that bad in hindsight.

Good Job....very well done!!

Otis is the furthest thing from "...a joke around the office." What "...everyone in the Magic organization knows..." is that Otis is an extremely intelligent and personable individual who is highly regarded and looked up to as a leader. I know this not because I heard it from some guy I just met, but because I work there.

as p

quote:
Originally posted by Krucial07:

Otis is the furthest thing from "...a joke around the office." What "...everyone in the Magic organization knows..." is that Otis is an extremely intelligent and personable individual who is highly regarded and looked up to as a leader. I know this not because I heard it from some guy I just met, but because I work there.

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Tough Break, good post and I agree.

well that's sad

Listen even if this were false I'm questioning how in the world this man got a GM job. I enjoyed the read doesn't seem far fetched at all. Clearly ownership lives in lala land. For what Otis done Stuff could do a better job with eyes closed

I'm looking at this game and Lewis looks like he's worth Nelson type money and Nelson's undeserved contract so soon looks almost worse.

The only hiring decision I've been happy about was Stan and the joy didn't last. IMO he's underachieving badly - in tonight's game the Magic are barely hanging on against lottery bound Philly.

Did someone say Haslem?? he's an average player. A smarter GM would have tried to get Gasol and maybe even Darko for little in return. Gasol has been wanting out of Memphis since last season!

I bet if it's true Otis is after Haslem we will end up overpaying. 3 overpayed role players Lewis, Nelson and Haslem

Championship.. oh yeah

quote:
Originally posted by StufFtheMagicDragon:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Tough Break, good post and I agree.

well that's sad

Listen even if this were false I'm questioning how in the world this man got a GM job. I enjoyed the read doesn't seem far fetched at all. Clearly ownership lives in lala land. For what Otis done Stuff could do a better job with eyes closed

I'm looking at this game and Lewis looks like he's worth Nelson type money and Nelson's undeserved contract so soon looks almost worse.

The only hiring decision I've been happy about was Stan and the joy didn't last. IMO he's underachieving badly - in tonight's game the Magic are barely hanging on against lottery bound Philly.

Did someone say Haslem?? he's an average player. A smarter GM would have tried to get Gasol and maybe even Darko for little in return. Gasol has been wanting out of Memphis since last season!

I bet if it's true Otis is after Haslem we will end up overpaying. 3 overpayed role players Lewis, Nelson and Haslem

Championship.. oh yeah

This post stinks of LilPenny....

But seriously, at this point the only thing you can legitimately criticize Otis for is the amount of money Rashard is signed for.

All things considered, the team has made a significant improvement over last season. You can argue that all you want, and you can tell me how this year's team will collapse until you're out of breath.

But if you watch the games, you know that with the coaching change and personnel changes, the team is better. And isn't that the barometer of a GM? Whether or not the team gets better from year to year?

yada yada yoda

Jackie stop living la vida Yoda and be specific let's hear some examples

quote:

All things considered, the team has made a significant improvement over last season. You can argue that all you want, and you can tell me how this year's team will collapse until you're out of breath.

But if you watch the games, you know that with the coaching change and personnel changes, the team is better. And isn't that the barometer of a GM? Whether or not the team gets better from year to year?

If it weren't for the miraculous start this team would be sitting with more losses than wins

I think the committee missed this one under the biggest/creepiest crush garrity category. As much as FutureGm seems to hate Otis, he just can't stop talking about the guy.

lawlz

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

Good Job....very well done!!

Sorry but Smith didn't draft Dwight, try Fran.

Extended Dwight and regrettably Nelson. Bold move

quote:
yada yada yoda

Jackie stop living la vida Yoda and be specific let's hear some examples

I think Stuff is LilPenny. Either way, a new resident hater had to fill the void.

You haven't refuted anything I, or Assists, wrote with any kind of reasonable response.

quote:
Sorry but Smith didn't draft Dwight, try Fran.

So how about you tell me what position Otis had when Dwight was drafted? You might have to actually, GASP! research and reason out an answer.