Sign in to follow this  
davcivic

Tax Rebates Deal Announced

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080124/economy_stimulus.html

quote:
Individuals who pay income taxes would get up to $600, working couples $1,200 and those with children an additional $300 per child under the agreement. Workers who make at least $3,000 but don't pay taxes would get $300 rebates.The rebate part of the plan would cost about $100 billion, aides said. The package also includes close to $50 billion in business tax cuts.

The rebates would phase out gradually for individuals whose income exceeds $75,000 and couples with incomes above $150,000, aides said. Individuals with incomes up to $87,000 and couples up to $174,000 would get partial rebates. The caps are higher for those with children.

So I guess I am getting $600 or so....

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080124/economy_stimulus.html

quote:
Individuals who pay income taxes would get up to $600, working couples $1,200 and those with children an additional $300 per child under the agreement. Workers who make at least $3,000 but don't pay taxes would get $300 rebates.The rebate part of the plan would cost about $100 billion, aides said. The package also includes close to $50 billion in business tax cuts.

The rebates would phase out gradually for individuals whose income exceeds $75,000 and couples with incomes above $150,000, aides said. Individuals with incomes up to $87,000 and couples up to $174,000 would get partial rebates. The caps are higher for those with children.

So I guess I am getting $600 or so....

quote:
Congress, Treasury Secretary Announce Deal on Tax Rebates, Business Breaks to Boost Economy

Congressional leaders announced a deal with the White House Thursday on an economic stimulus package that would give most tax filers refunds of $600 to $1,200, and more if they have children.

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, looking at the nation as a whole, I wonder just how much it will help and what are the negative trade-offs for having done it.

But personally, I will be able to make good use of my own check and will be happy to have it.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:
Congress, Treasury Secretary Announce Deal on Tax Rebates, Business Breaks to Boost Economy

Congressional leaders announced a deal with the White House Thursday on an economic stimulus package that would give most tax filers refunds of $600 to $1,200, and more if they have children.

That's Congressional leadership. It still needs to be voted on in Congress.

I just don't see the difference or maybe don't know how it all works out 100% I guess...Reading the headline it implies that its all approved....

anyhow, doesn't matter, more than likely it will pass....but like you all said before, I am not sure how this will help the economy overall...if it will even help at all....But I will use my check to pay some bills that's for sure.

It will pass... It's just not set in stone. Senate Democrats want to add some things to it, but it shouldn't get in the way. I stream C-Span on my computer here at work (Yeah, I'm that much of a loser) and just listened to the Treasury Sec's press conference.

And if you are a loser like me, you will love the discussion of the FISA act on C-Span 2 right now!

This will help the economy right now. But the downfall is the $150 billion they are using is going to hurt the future taxpayer. Just another $150 billion added onto the national debt. Its just a big F U! to the next generation (me icon_frown.gif )