Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

"Fire Proof" Coaches

The recent coach firings in the college ranks, along with Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky and the Billy Donovan rumors, got me thinking about which coaches in the college game are truly "fire proof."

Obviously, a scandal or an arrest might change things, but basically, these are the coaches that can keep their jobs for as long as they want. They may even be able to survive a few losing seasons. The thing they all have in common is that they have won a title with their current school.

In no particular order:

• Mike Krzyzewski - Duke

• Jim Boeheim - Syracuse

• Jim Calhoun - UConn

• Lute Olson - Arizona

• Roy Williams - North Carolina

• Billy Donovan - Florida

Billy Donovan certainly doesn't have the tenure of the first four, or the long-standing reputation of Williams, but I definitely think he has earned a spot on this list.

Two names that I wanted to add were Maryland's Gary Williams and Texas Tech's Bobby Knight. They probably should be on this list but I thought they were at least more debatable than the other 6.

So, have I left any out? How about the mid-major coaches? Are their any out there that can pretty much stay at their schools as long as they want? Let's hear some more names and arguments for or against. This should make a fun debate as we lead up to the Final Four.

The recent coach firings in the college ranks, along with Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky and the Billy Donovan rumors, got me thinking about which coaches in the college game are truly "fire proof."

Obviously, a scandal or an arrest might change things, but basically, these are the coaches that can keep their jobs for as long as they want. They may even be able to survive a few losing seasons. The thing they all have in common is that they have won a title with their current school.

In no particular order:

• Mike Krzyzewski - Duke

• Jim Boeheim - Syracuse

• Jim Calhoun - UConn

• Lute Olson - Arizona

• Roy Williams - North Carolina

• Billy Donovan - Florida

Billy Donovan certainly doesn't have the tenure of the first four, or the long-standing reputation of Williams, but I definitely think he has earned a spot on this list.

Two names that I wanted to add were Maryland's Gary Williams and Texas Tech's Bobby Knight. They probably should be on this list but I thought they were at least more debatable than the other 6.

So, have I left any out? How about the mid-major coaches? Are their any out there that can pretty much stay at their schools as long as they want? Let's hear some more names and arguments for or against. This should make a fun debate as we lead up to the Final Four.

Gary Williams and Bob Knight are definitely safe. I would say Jamie Dixon from Pittsburgh is good for a while also.

Bob Knight was fired from Indiana, so I guess he technically can't be considered fire proof. But I also don't think that Texas Tech is as demanding a program. So yeah, he could probably average 18-20 wins there until he keels over.

quote:
    Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Bob Knight was fired from Indiana, so I guess he technically can't be considered fire proof. But I also don't think that Texas Tech is as demanding a program. So yeah, he could probably average 18-20 wins there until he keels over.

Problem is with Bob Knight is you never now when he is going to go postal and who it will be he does it to. I don't think he would ever would be and has been fired due to actual "coaching ability".

I would also put in Tom Izzo of Michigan State and Mark Few of Gonzaga. Those guys are not going anywhere unless they want to.

quote:
    Originally posted by Drain-O:

I would also put in Tom Izzo of Michigan State and Mark Few of Gonzaga. Those guys are not going anywhere unless they want to.

God I suck, how did I miss those two guys? They are great coaches.