Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

***The Music Thread***

this is where i usually go when i want to find new bands and tracks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/rockindie/

they archive their shows for a about a week, if i'm not mistaken aaaand they have all the tracklists!!

btw that russian site is great. i used to get music from another russian site but it got closed down 'cos it was proven to be illegal ..

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I'm looking for some new music to listen to. Any suggestions? I'm into mostly into "Rock genres" example:alternative/metal/hardcore/punk/classic and all that crap. I really hate defining a band by a genre, since so many groups venture into a variety of them. ANYWAY, been listening to some new bands (new bands to me, not to the world) like Bloc Party. Just wondering if anybody has any bands worth checking out. Any genre/type of music will be cool.

So, start it up!

(A brief description of the band would be cool also)

I'm not really into too much rock unless it's fused with hip hop (RATM, original LB, even Korn), but since you said ANY, I'm very close to the Hip Hop, Rap, & R&B scene, especially in Memphis, as my girl is a choreographer.

Some good friends of mine have a very diverse group & were the first artists signed to JT's new label. Very cool guys who are about to blow up. I would describe their stuff as Tribe Called Quest meets John Legend meets RATM with some Memphis Krunk (Hustle & Flow, 36 type beats). Their stuff is influenced by just about every genre and very diverse from song to song.

Name of the group is Free Sol. Here's a link to their first album & description of their band & style. http://cdbaby.com/cd/freesol Follow up stuff is influenced a bit more by Memphis Krunk and harder edge rap metal like RATM and losses some of it's diversity because the female vocalist and Trumpet player left for personal reasons. You can find samples on

, myspaceand free download sites. On a side not, if you like diverse hip hop music, dip deeper into the Memphis scene. The music scene here is sick. Almost every hip hop group performs with a live band and is very diverse. Al Kapone is another. Many of these groups were featured in Hustle and Flow by Craig Brewer who is also one of the coolest cats around and indy film makers alive.

Matt Morris is another very cool "artist" from Memphis signed to JT's label. Acoustic & deep vocals. Check out his myspace page for samples.

If you like "real" hip hop at all, Jedi Mind Tricks is the best group you've never heard of. I garauntee you that you've never heard lyrics and tracks like this. Their album, Violent By Design, is the sickest album I've ever heard. If their MC weren't white or they would sell out and do commercial tracks like Eminem, they would be what Wu Tang is to true hip hop and they've done many colabo's with members of the Wu & true hip hop legends like Kool G Rap (the sickest MC to ever live). Best place to sample their stuff is probably underground hip hop.com.

Youtube links to a few JMT's tracks (not for the faint of heart)

JMT w/Gza set to Mike Tyson video

JMT w/KGR

JMT (Heavenly Divine)

Well, here is what I am listening to right now... And I'll try to stick to stuff (like, let's say, 311) That everyone already has in their library.

Ryan Adams (The greatest musician in the last 10 years. Everyone should be a fan of him)

Guster

Joshua Radin (Soft, amazing sound)

Ray LaMontagne (Absolutely amazing voice)

Kings of Leon (Great rock sound, they were at Hard Rock a few months ago but I skipped it for Opening Night for the Magic)

Matisyahu (Great reggae sound with a hint of Orthodox Jew)

Radiohead (Simply amazing? Yes)

Smashing Pumpkins (Yeah, everyone listens to them, but their new album is badass)

Sufjan Stevens (Weird AND amazing)

...Those are a few.

Yeah. Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins are no brainers.

I've tried to listen to Matisyahu, can't get into it really.

Kings of Leon are highly overrated. Everybody always say "You gotta listen to them, they are amazing". I just don't get whats so great about them.

I will check out the other bands. I've heard Guster before. I think it was their popular song. Amersterdam I think.

Download "Easy Tiger" by Ryan Adams. It is his new album. It's not my favorite but its up there. I'm telling you... The guy is amazing. It might not be your genre, but hes worth a shot.

Also, try Brett Dennen. He has opened for John Mayer and the likes. I've seen him 3 times now in concert and he is great also.

quote:
Smashing Pumpkins (Yeah, everyone listens to them, but their new album is badass)

The Zeitgiest is one of the best albums in a long time in my opinion. A lot of people doubted them coming back too.

I've been liking the new Foo Fighter album too. It's like strange southern rock.

I think American rock musix has been in the gutter for awhile now so I listen to a lot of UK stuff. For example:

Muse-

Oasis-

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I think American rock musix has been in the gutter for awhile now so I listen to a lot of UK stuff. For example:

Muse-

Oasis-

Muse is a great band.

Oasis had some decent pop songs back in the 90s, but they annoy the heck out of me now.

Some bands I've recently been listening to:

Wilco

MGMT

Mute Math (Finally got around to picking up their CD)