Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Salary Cap Experts! What's the truth with signing Darko and Vince?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

Would mean overpaying Darko though!!

Not really. Even if you assume that other teams would be able to offer more money(since they'd have more), we'd still only be offering him more money that we didn't have previously.

Think of it this way. Darko is the nicest candy at the candy store. He's 50 cents. You've got 50 cents to pay for him. But all of a sudden I give you an extra dime, and when you turn around, Darko now costs 60 cents.

Yes, you're paying an extra ten cents for Darko, but you also didn't have an extra ten cents before, so you *really* haven't lost anything.

LOL! When you put it like that!

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Think of it this way. Darko is the nicest candy at the candy store. He's 50 cents. You've got 50 cents to pay for him. But all of a sudden I give you an extra dime, and when you turn around, Darko now costs 60 cents.

Yes, you're paying an extra ten cents for Darko, but you also didn't have an extra ten cents before, so you *really* haven't lost anything.

Your giving me Cost Accounting and Statistics test flashbacks with that one.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Your giving me Cost Accounting and Statistics test flashbacks with that one.

Since I go to Arts college, I'll actually take that as a compliment.

True Story: my college wanted me to take an extra math class and offered up "Applied Math and Statistics". When I looked up the curriculum of that class, I immediately said: "I took Calculus in high school. Let me take the exam now."

Instead, they told me I could skip it and just take an extra science course.

So I took an extra science class called, I **** you not, Birds and Birding.

My school is a joke.

Since I forgot to clarify it, please understand:

"Applied Math and Statistics" was basically a combination of first year High School Algebra, basic geometry, and VERY basic statistics.

The kind of thing that any recent high school graduate should be able to do.

I say should be able to do, because the freaking FCAT is completely ruining Florida school systems, but that's another conversation. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:

Fendi - Battie is earning $5.2m / $5.7m / $6.3m over the next 3 seasons!

actually the details of Tony's contract were not disclosed. And Otis had it shaped as a v-contract. Which would mean, he'd get the majority of the contract this year and the year after next year. But next year, he'll only get a little amount (for an NBA salary, of course), which some speculates as only 2.5 million.

if that's true we'd have about 3mill more for signing FAs...

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

quote:

quote:

actually the details of Tony's contract were not disclosed. And Otis had it shaped as a v-contract. Which would mean, he'd get the majority of the contract this year and the year after next year. But next year, he'll only get a little amount (for an NBA salary, of course), which some speculates as only 2.5 million.

Unless Otis found a loophole in the CBA, you can only lower or raise salaries by 10.5% per year. If that is the case, his "V" year as Otis called it will give us an additional .5 mill only.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

quote:

quote:

Unless Otis found a loophole in the CBA, you can only lower or raise salaries by 10.5% per year. If that is the case, his "V" year as Otis called it will give us an additional .5 mill only.

that sounds more realistic to me...

0.5mill is not much, almost nothing. i still think resigning battie for that long and especially for that much money was a big mistake. i could live with it if he really found found a loophole but still. he could have signed battie for less money, nobody would have given him such a large contract (maybe NY, lol), i thing we could have signed him for about 2.5-3mill like the cavs did with pollard.