Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Salary Cap Experts! What's the truth with signing Darko and Vince?

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFan12:

and I dont think darko deserves even 6 mill, his play hasnt showed it yet, he's had like 2 standout games.

Uh, what? Darko doesn't deserve 6 million?

Zydrunas Ilgauskas makes 10 million next season.

Adonal Foyle makes 9 million next season.

Are those guys both overpaid? Absolutely.

However, Darko is also a better player than both of those guys. Darko is still underdeveloped, but he's already showing signs of improvement in his game, work ethic and confidence since moving into the starting lineup(which, credit goes to the plethora of people on the board who said that's what would happen 3 months ago.) Do I expect him to put up 14/16/5 every game? Of course not, but most bigs can't do that ever, let alone at 21 years old, while serving as your teams OTHER big man.

I think Darko could legitimately become a player who'll average between 14-17ppg and 7or8rpg, to go along with his 1.5-3blocks a game a few seasons from now. Those are good numbers for a starting big man, and a good big man salary is 8-10mil a year. That's just the way it is.

Look at his improvement: in his last 15 games(9 starting), he's averaging 11.53ppg, 6.27rpg, 2.06bpg, and 1.27apg.

Those numbers are all above his seasonal averages of 8.3ppg, 5.5rpg, 1.79bpg, and 1.1apg.

quote:
I think Darko could legitimately become a player who'll average between 14-17ppg and 7or8rpg, to go along with his 1.5-3blocks a game a few seasons from now. Those are good numbers for a starting big man, and a good big man salary is 8-10mil a year. That's just the way it is.

With Darko, if he doesn't prove his worth within these next 20 games or so, it's all going to boil down to how much are the Magic going to be willing to pay for "Potential"?

I think the real question here is how much is our ownership willing to pay in luxury taxes. I believe we will in fact sign both Vince and Darko in the offseason while also trading away some of our depth to clear cap space. Then we pick up a few free agents or prospects for the minimum to fill roster spots.

I would much rather have a starting lineup that consisted of:

Jameer

Vince

Ariza

Darko

Howard

with a few fill ins to come off the bench with Arroyo, Grant(?), Gortat(?), Bogans

rather than have players making 5-6 million dollars coming off the bench with a huge hole at the starting SG position still.

quote:
Originally posted by Rafael17222:

quote:

With Darko, if he doesn't prove his worth within these next 20 games or so, it's all going to boil down to how much are the Magic going to be willing to pay for "Potential"?

Well that's true of every player. Right now Dwight doesn't score enough to deserve a max contract. Close, but not max. He'll get a max deal though, because we'll believe he has the potential to score even more than he has been lately.

Of course what the Magic will be paying for with Darko will at least partly be potential. My point was that Darko's putting up decent big man numbers, and has shown improvement in the last 10-15 games.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

Well that's true of every player. Right now Dwight doesn't score enough to deserve a max contract. Close, but not max. He'll get a max deal though, because we'll believe he has the potential to score even more than he has been lately.

Of course what the Magic will be paying for with Darko will at least partly be potential. My point was that Darko's putting up decent big man numbers, and has shown improvement in the last 10-15 games.

I like Darko, I think he is worth the investment

I would not be hugely concerned about the luxury tax, unless the Arena deal blows up.

They need a winning team to sell tickets, advertising and corp boxes at a new Arena. Call it investment spending at that point, if they sell out the new Arena. A little luxury tax will be worth paying to generate profits.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I would not be hugely concerned about the luxury tax, unless the Arena deal blows up.

They need a winning team to sell tickets, advertising and corp boxes at a new Arena. Call it investment spending at that point, if they sell out the new Arena. A little luxury tax will be worth paying to generate profits.

And here we find the bottom line!!!!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

I like Darko, I think he is worth the investment

As do I, and I assumed you did too. I was just trying to further my point that while we'll be paying for potential, Darko has shown signs of improvement lately, which is good news, and even if he never improved past his present numbers, he'd still be worth more than the 6 mil someone said earlier, if only for his defensive presense and base numbers.

quote:

At a minimum we should pay for his height. So if we are willing to pay a million dollars a foot, he should at least be worth 7 Million a year!

If there is a GM really willing to make that their pay scale, I'm 6'1.

Guys, I appreciate all the insider information and for educating me on the salary cap. As I suspected Schmitz was kind of off-base in his projections although I do realize there are some variables such as guys opting out that don't play in. That is exactly why I brought this matter to this board.

I was kind of raised that what you read in the sports page of the newspaper is gospel. As we've all learned as we've gotten older, "that is not always the case".

Actually, I'd like to give props to this board cause I get more sports information and knowledge here than in any paper.

That is, after I sift through all the bull-crap first!(lol)

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by LJ Magic:

5. Fran Vasquez, though he doesn't play for us, will count on the cap at $1.6 million.

Total Salary = $74.3 million.

Fran does not count against our cap because he is under contract oversea's. Unsigned 1st round picks only count if they not currently under contract to another professional club.

I think his rights will be moved with Hedo as incentive for someone to take on Hedo's salary and give us more room now and down the road when we are getting close to the luxury tax.

Starting this off-season, Fran will count on the cap at $1.6 million.