Sign in to follow this  
Hutchence

Is Jameer a team cancer?

I don't think of Jameer as a cancer, a pollup maybe but not a cancer. Labeling a player as a cancer should be limited to agregious behavior, such as demonstrated by Ron Artest, Latrell Sprewell, etc.. Those types who totally disrupt a teams chemistry.

quote:
Originally posted by Big:

I don't think of Jameer as a cancer, a pollup maybe but not a cancer. Labeling a player as a cancer should be limited to agregious behavior, such as demonstrated by Ron Artest, Latrell Sprewell, etc.. Those types who totally disrupt a teams chemistry.

Big, he's not an aggressive cancer but only a mild cancer; nevertheless a cancer and he needs to be removed. icon_smile.gif Maybe a cancer is too hard for you, how about a polyp? Oh, hold on, you already agreed on that! Ok... He needs to be removed. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by OsoTommy:

Big, he's not an aggresive cancer but only a mild cancer; nevertheless a cancer and he needs to be removed. icon_smile.gif

I do not think I could agree more.

quote:
Originally posted by Hutchence:

I would like to clear up what exactly I meant in my original post.

It basically boils down to the fact that the fans are much more passionate about this team's games than they are. We are the ones shelling out money while they are raking in a ton of it.

I was a little bothered when we first started losing and you would see smiles and laughing, but I really tried to not let it get to me. How long can you watch guys lose to teams they should easily blow off the court all the while laughing and joking and acting like everything is fine and dandy?

The last few losses Jameer and Dwight have been cracking up on the free throw line. I don't know about anyone else but to me that is the one place Dwight needs to FOCUS. Jameer should realize that to and try to make him focus. They all need to help one another as a team.

I always remember Dwight being goofy but I don't remember him joking around before free throws and acting like everything was peaches and cream. Don't you remember in school that if two kids couldn't pay attention they were separated? Same thing here. Friendship is getting in the way of the team.

I agree that Jameer should not be a starter but could be a solid backup. And I really do not like the argument that he has to take shots and do it all because the team isn't helping him out. I think we all know by now that it is the point guard that runs the game on the floor. And please don't mention the coach, that is another issue.

As the point guard he has the opportunity to make his team better. He decides the flow and tempo. If all his teammates see him driving the lane or pulling up for shots before looking to them, they are going to lose their faith in him. This is what I am afraid has happened.

I think we all understood what you meant. If you read my previous reply I think this is what I explained as well, maybe using a different style, but mostly the same bottom line. You are not the only one bothered by their behavior on the court, but what is more bothersome is that Jameer's game sucks as a point guard but he's still our regular. The combo Jameer-Dooling has proven as bad as Jameer-Arroyo combo. Any similarities there? Did you noticed how the name "Jameer" is repeated on both occasions? If I remember well the combo Arroyo-Dooling has being the most effective we have had. Why not trying it and see what happens? The worse scenario would be that we can add then Diener to the equation. If we have to go there means that the previous combo (Arroyo-Dooling) didn't work and we are out of the playoffs run so we can't lose anything else. Even Diener wins because he can't be blamed about the team not making it to the playoffs and his name will stay clean until next year.

May be not a cancer but a game spoiling virus! There's no laughing in basketball! Put your game face on and get down to business. They need to cut the crap and realize it's put up or shut up time!

Nelson is a cancer. His only calling is shooting and he is a streak shooter at that. I read a comment previously posted in this Post that Nelson almost helped us win the game with his two late 3's. One of the main reasons why the team was in that position was because of the suckass play of Nelson as well as Turk and the others.

If our point guard could move the offense as well as play some defensive, maybe it would have been Toronto trying to hit late 3's to catch up instead of us. When the ball does not move on offense or your star player gets 8 shots on the basket, it is time to get another point guard who can get him the ball where he can score.

I don't know that I agree with the "cancer" label, but it is clear that Jameer has lost his edge. His edge is what made him overachieve in college. His edge is what led to the dismissal of Steve Francis. His edge is why he was handed the starting PG spot this year.

However, there are in fact, numerous problems with this team that have nothing to do with the PG position. Grant Hill is playing out of position and has missed 18 games. Turkoglu is shooting 41% from the field. Battie is a backup with career averages of 6 points and 5 rebounds. Dwight is shooting 60% from the free throw line. Our reserves have been shuffled dozens of times throughout the season.

A few more observations:

JJ Redick has hit 1/2 as many 3pt shots as Jameer in 1/4 the amount of minutes.

Darko Milicic has 3 times as many assists as Tony Battie has blocks.

Hedo Turkoglu (not known for his defense) has as many steals on the season as Jameer in fewer minutes.

Playing time has been distibuted almost equally to all players not named Dwight.

Darko Milicic has made twice as many free throws as Tony Battie has attempted.

Not a single starter other than Dwight is avergaing more than 30 minutes per game.

James Augustine has a better efficiency rating than every other player on our team.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

James Augustine has a better efficiency rating than every other player on our team.

I think that is the one thing we can't argue about!

Do I like when Jameer is smiling while the team is getting blown out... no. However, he isnt the only one who does this on the team. The past Charlotte game, while I was sitting in my seat getting bashed by the Bobcat fans and watching my team get man handled, i looked at the Orlando bench to see half the Magic players laughing and joking around.

But I have noticed as of late is that Jameer has changed his game from scoring to passing first. Toronto's game was a good example of how when he penetrated the paint, he passed the ball out to an open player, instead of laying it up. However no one was doing anything except for Grant. However even in that horrific game where we shot 37%, he was still able to get 4 ast's.... is that a lot? no... but it shows that he is sticking with passing first.

I think next year will be the determining factor if he stays long term or not. But we need to give him the time to develop and 4yrs is a good time table.

Hutch, step outside and get a life. Calling Jameer a cancer is pretty mean, and I don't even like the guy.

The only cancer, dislikeable, egotistical figure here is redface, the brainless elf.

quote:
get 4 ast's.... is that a lot? no... but it shows that he is sticking with passing first.

no of course it's not a lot, that's dismal! understatement of the year there bubba..

He has passed a little more lately (at times) still dribbles too much and is way, way under the efficiency of other PGs. TJ Ford looked so much better it's not even funny. It's not really his fault ultimately.. it's Brian's for not putting in Diener or Arroyo. You'll never admit it though since we know you're a Jameer homer.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I don't know that I agree with the "cancer" label, but it is clear that Jameer has lost his edge. His edge is what made him overachieve in college. His edge is what led to the dismissal of Steve Francis. His edge is why he was handed the starting PG spot this year.

However, there are in fact, numerous problems with this team that have nothing to do with the PG position. Grant Hill is playing out of position and has missed 18 games. Turkoglu is shooting 41% from the field. Battie is a backup with career averages of 6 points and 5 rebounds. Dwight is shooting 60% from the free throw line. Our reserves have been shuffled dozens of times throughout the season.

A few more observations:

JJ Redick has hit 1/2 as many 3pt shots as Jameer in 1/4 the amount of minutes.

Darko Milicic has 3 times as many assists as Tony Battie has blocks.

Hedo Turkoglu (not known for his defense) has as many steals on the season as Jameer in fewer minutes.

Playing time has been distibuted almost equally to all players not named Dwight.

Darko Milicic has made twice as many free throws as Tony Battie has attempted.

Not a single starter other than Dwight is avergaing more than 30 minutes per game.

I don't want to do this because I don't want to give the impression that I'm defending any player, but I have to say that when Arroyo was in the same situation I never saw this kind of excuses to help him out. All it was that he was the solely and unique responsible of out team being in the situation that we are right now. I thought then that it was absurd witnessing a group of intelligent people were trying to blame a bench player for the deficiencies of the regular players, but after feuding it looked a loss battle and I watched as Arroyo was burned by the fire in here. Now that we can't blame Arroyo of nothing, it's when people are turning to the real reasons of our poor performance. Jameer deserves a lot of the heat that is consuming this team. So is the Frattelist coach and his staff. Maybe it's what he (Jameer) needs, to go back to the bench to re-think his game. I would trade him for a real point guard. Arroyo is what he is, a good backup point guard, and under the right coach he may even be an OK starter. Never a super star or anything like that so don't get your expectations so high. I have discovered that's the reason why there are many people out there pissed with him. They either got high expectation of him, or they heard too many good things about him and now they can't understand what happen; where is this super star player that people were talking about? If you start looking at him as a good backup point guard you'll be able to see how good he is. This coach can't provide the environment for him to be a better player so he will decide if he wants to stay here and be one of the bench or try luck with another team who has the right coach for his game. Sometimes it takes a player to move around several years and play under several coaches to find the right one who trusts on him. Sometimes they never find it. Our problem as a team is the coach and his love to Jameer. We need to trade both to move forward. Even though this is painfull to me because I have a lot of respect for this player, I hope that Grant Hill retires and leave that opening for the ones that are developing now. His time is gone. Let the JJ's, the Bogan's, the Dooling's, the Ariza's to take your space. These four aces can play two positions if needed, but they need the playing time and space that GHill is taking to develop. I would trade Jameer and maybe even Bogans for a bonafide point guard and fire Brian Hill. Keep Arroyo and Diener as backups. But what do I know about basketball... Maybe I'm wrong... And that's OK too.