Sign in to follow this  
Hutchence

Is Jameer a team cancer?

I am no Jameer fan but this personal bashing I didn't feel was fair for Carlos and I dont tink its fair for Jameer. Jameer has been pushed into a bigger role than he can handle and he is overdoing his act. He could become the best PG backup in the league with his firepower abilities and his penetration of th zone defense.

I'm not impressed with him. He doesn't know how to thread the needle, feed the post, or when not to shoot. He has got to go!

TJ Ford flat out showed JN how to play the point.

I think Jameer is in a learning phase (like 3/4s of the team). Learning how to be a leader takes some time.

I'm not Jameer's biggest fan, but look what he did last night: almost single-handedly got us back in the game and won it [edit: meaning he almost got us back into it and almost won it - not suggesting he actually won a game we lost]. That's why we keep him around and why we should continue to.

The thing is, he could just as easily rack up 10 assists and then hit the big shot (ala Steve Nash). Tick-tock, though - there goes another season while our players get, well, seasoned.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

I am no Jameer fan but this personal bashing I didn't feel was fair for Carlos and I dont tink its fair for Jameer. Jameer has been pushed into a bigger role than he can handle and he is overdoing his act. He could become the best PG backup in the league with his firepower abilities and his penetration of th zone defense.

This is a great point. I think his role is very misplaced. I think it is becoming fairly clear that he is not a starting caliber point guard. He could be a great backup and bring something very different off the bench. As the point guard especially in the beginning of the game it is important to establish an offensive rhythm. Jameer does not really do anything to help this. Think about when the Magic get down big. It is typically at the beginning of games and in the 3rd quarter. The flow of the offense needs to be crisp from the beginning. I remember watching an inside the NBA special on the impact that TJ Ford has had on CB4. They said no one last year would get in guys faces and hold them accountable and Ford has taken to Bosh and forced him to become more of a leader. Wanting to be a leader and being a leader are two totally different things. I do not think we need a guy who is an a-hole but we need a glue guy that holds people accountable. Dwight losing Jameer may not necessarily be a bad thing.......

T-Mac Hearts Mike Miller

i don't think he's a cancer. I just think that he has too much of an ego, and that's making the team play worse during games. His ****iness might rub on howard too (or it might be the other way around)... but, i wouldn't have minded the smiling if they were actually being intense.....

you know how everyone wonders why Dwight doesn't get the superstar calls? i think it's because of the smiling/goofiness....

i like jameer. he is pone of my favorite players. but I have noticed that he and dwight goof around also like u have. They have a tight bond which I think is good. Jameers like the class clown who can find a way to get anyone in trouble.

I am not going to join the barrage of player bashing and just going to respond to this discussion.

Jameer Nelson is not a cancer of this team. He does not play hard enough and after his teammates turnover the ball, pass the ball instead of take the open shot, and miss the open shot in the first place ; why do you think Jameer takes so much shots. Jameer Nelson's teammates suck at making open shots and handling the ball. If Jameer knows he can't rely i=on his teammates to shoot in the ball in, he has to takeover and shoot them back in the ball game. Jameer shoots because he knows he can make it and he doesn't have teammates to rely on, especially because Jameer is part of the pathetic starting lineup with two small forwards.

Jameer Nelson "HAS" to be affected by Brian Hill and instead of having a solemn face about it, the guy chooses to smile instead of being a grump. During these stressful times, I don't mind the laughs.

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

I am not going to join the barrage of player bashing and just going to respond to this discussion.

Jameer Nelson is not a cancer of this team. He does not play hard enough and after his teammates turnover the ball, pass the ball instead of take the open shot, and miss the open shot in the first place ; why do you think Jameer takes so much shots. Jameer Nelson's teammates suck at making open shots and handling the ball. If Jameer knows he can't rely i=on his teammates to shoot in the ball in, he has to takeover and shoot them back in the ball game. Jameer shoots because he knows he can make it and he doesn't have teammates to rely on, especially because Jameer is part of the pathetic starting lineup with two small forwards.

Jameer Nelson "HAS" to be affected by Brian Hill and instead of having a solemn face about it, the guy chooses to smile instead of being a grump. During these stressful times, I don't mind the laughs.

That may be true, part of being a PG is getting everyone involved and that means that even if your teamates are not cutting it, you still have to trust that they will get it eventually and play as a team. It's not an easy thing to do and that is why you see so few really great PG's.

When you hear announcers talking about a player trying to do too much that is what they are talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by magic01:

He is a cancer b/c he is playing bad, not b/c he smiles a few times in a game when Dwight smiles 100 times. I could care less that Dwight or Jameer smiles, I dont think that their play is bad b/c of it.

In all actuality it is a great deal. It means that they are not as competitive as some other players. I can't picture MJ , Bird, Oakley, Barkley to name a few, smiling why they are getting their collective asses handed to them on a nightly basis. Is it any coincidence that we can't win 2 in a row? In case you haven't figured it out yet, ATTITUDE is everything. Chris Bosh would cry after losing games. You play with heart and they simply don't have it. How many times have you seen this team quit when they were down?

My dear friends,

The NBA player status is considered a profesional job. When you enter into the court, there are things that the owner of the company (read as Team) and the rest of the higher management are expecting from you. One of them is for you to give your best effort every time and every day you are there. This is so because the best clients (read as fans) this company has are looking at you and they don't want this clients to believe that the money they are paying for this company's service's are going down the drain, that you don't care about them or their contribution to this company. Your inmediate manager (read as Coach) or your supervisors (read as coach staff) have the responsability to let you know about your lack of respect to the clients. It's fine to have fun while you are out of the court, but when the game starts you should be concentrated in the task that you are about to start and the goal that needs to be achived that day/night. Of course, a laugh here and there is not harmfull, only if this situation keeps repeating too many times or at times where you should be concentrating to perform your duties, like at a free throw. It's well know that in the game there is a lot of "garbage talk" going around, but this is a stategy from the competition (read as opposing team) to get you out of concentration and to gain an advantage over you on getting the product that is being offered that night (read as a victory). If I'm on the court and I see these two bufons making jokes all the time you can be sure I'll be saying something. They have the responsability to keep all jokes for the right moment, not for when the game is on the line and you are the responsible to approach your team to victory. One of the best persons I have ever seen on controlling this emotions and doing his job in the most profesional way posible was Mr. Michael Jordan. If you all remember, when he went into the court, his face will change compleatly. You can see how intense he was on EVERY game. For him EVERY game was as important as any other and you had to give your best always. If you were playing around him he will DEMAND the best of you and as a result you will become a better player. Yes, he was not perfect, and some players were unable to take the heat generated around him, but those who understood his mission and his ethics and stayed, eventually became much better players than they could ever being if not being in his team. Some others have become exaples of this skill as well, like Shak and Steve Nash to mention some. Jameer and Dwight should too.

I would like to clear up what exactly I meant in my original post.

It basically boils down to the fact that the fans are much more passionate about this team's games than they are. We are the ones shelling out money while they are raking in a ton of it.

I was a little bothered when we first started losing and you would see smiles and laughing, but I really tried to not let it get to me. How long can you watch guys lose to teams they should easily blow off the court all the while laughing and joking and acting like everything is fine and dandy?

The last few losses Jameer and Dwight have been cracking up on the free throw line. I don't know about anyone else but to me that is the one place Dwight needs to FOCUS. Jameer should realize that to and try to make him focus. They all need to help one another as a team.

I always remember Dwight being goofy but I don't remember him joking around before free throws and acting like everything was peaches and cream. Don't you remember in school that if two kids couldn't pay attention they were separated? Same thing here. Friendship is getting in the way of the team.

I agree that Jameer should not be a starter but could be a solid backup. And I really do not like the argument that he has to take shots and do it all because the team isn't helping him out. I think we all know by now that it is the point guard that runs the game on the floor. And please don't mention the coach, that is another issue.

As the point guard he has the opportunity to make his team better. He decides the flow and tempo. If all his teammates see him driving the lane or pulling up for shots before looking to them, they are going to lose their faith in him. This is what I am afraid has happened.