Sign in to follow this  
FanSince1990

Can JJ be a point guard?

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

By the way Michelle7 I see you're new here plus you see what's really going on, welcome to the boards!

Yes we share your sentiments, hopefully this nightmare of a coach we have is gone soon. I know it'll be the happiest moment for me this season, hands down!

Dude shes been here since September of last year!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

By the way Michelle7 I see you're new here plus you see what's really going on, welcome to the boards!

Yes we share your sentiments, hopefully this nightmare of a coach we have is gone soon. I know it'll be the happiest moment for me this season, hands down!

Dude shes been here since September of last year!!!

dude, she only had 1 post when I greeted her so I didn't look at her join date lol

Knappy, we all know you want to see T/O machine /ball hog Jameer in there going to the basket "dominating" and getting his shot blocked. LOL I know you're a big Jameer fan, and we all have different opinions.

Jameer running the offense is too predictable IMO, teams know he's going to drive to the hoop and rarely kick it out to anybody.

quote:
Originally posted by Osi:

LOL JJ a pg? Listen I love JJ, but lets not get crazy. A pg has to be able to be nimble, and be able to beat more than 1 guy off the dribble or pass, JJ can only beat 1 man at a time trust me, he doesnt have the ball handling ability, he doesnt really have a first quick step with the ball in his hands, i dont know about now cuz i havent seen him much, but at duke, he wasnt a great ball handler, and ive seen him all 4 years.

Oh you mean like Jameer or Carlos? Last I saw those two were very nimbly blowing by people with such great ball handling abilities. So great that the rock seemed to be stuck to their hands. The only quick first step those two have is a backwaed step for running back on D after they've turned it over. ANYBODY can do better than those two clowns.

Simple answer No, JJ is not and will not be able to play the pg position effectively. Some people eather dont know or forget what it takes to be a pg, it is not just dribble down the ball and ther it ends, even pg that give the ball up early have to direct the play, and get motion on and off the ball. It is not as easy as it might look. JJ will be a great sg in my oppinion, but there is no way he could play the point.

Many of you that think JJ can't be a point guard need to read again why you believe he can't - then ask yourself if your favorite point guard ON THIS TEAM can do that same thing. While your at it, check the turn overs/assist ratio's for Jameer and Carlos.

Just because a player is under 6-5 and can shoot doesn't make him a PG. Has anyone in the history of the league come in as a 2 and been taught to be a PG? It's a lot easier said than done. If it were that easy teams would just teach guys like Tracy and Kobe to be PG's and expect that they would dominate like Magic.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

Many of you that think JJ can't be a point guard need to read again why you believe he can't - then ask yourself if your favorite point guard ON THIS TEAM can do that same thing. While your at it, check the turn overs/assist ratio's for Jameer and Carlos.

Yes they can, as well as Travis. This is not a JJ vs who ever thing, this is a consideration on whether or not JJ could play the point EFFECTIVELY, the answer is no, sorry. JJ has his position and is good at it, if our stupid coach would give him the minutes, he could do his job as sg, leave the pg job to the pgs.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

If it were that easy teams would just teach guys like Tracy and Kobe to be PG's and expect that they would dominate like Magic.

Wade and T-Mac both play the point guard position often.

http://www.insidehoops.com/dwyane-wade-interview-123103.shtml

As you recall Diener was Wade's point guard at Marquette.

• SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO Assist/Turnover

• 03-04 31.1 15.9 3.1 1.6 1.9 .83

• 04-05 37.3 21.8 3.3 2.6 2.5 1.05

• 05-06 37.1 26.8 2.0 2.6 2.5 1.06

Great passer in college, eh? And just because he played basketball at Duke doesn't mean he automatically has a great basketball IQ.. Believe it or not, both Jameer Nelson and Carlos Arroyo know what they're doing.. They're just getting pulled back by that giant leash that Brian Hill has the entire team on, especially the point guards..

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:

If it were that easy teams would just teach guys like Tracy and Kobe to be PG's and expect that they would dominate like Magic.

Wade and T-Mac both play the point guard position often.

True, and Pippen and even Grant did the same thing but none of them used solely as PG's. We are also talking about completely different skill sets between any of those guys and JJ.

quote:

Just because a player is under 6-5 and can shoot doesn't make him a PG. Has anyone in the history of the league come in as a 2 and been taught to be a PG? It's a lot easier said than done. If it were that easy teams would just teach guys like Tracy and Kobe to be PG's and expect that they would dominate like Magic.

Yes Ive seen it, right here in the Magic as a matter of fact. T-Mac used to take the ball down court most of the dime and distribute it or whatever, not a pure PG but he was doing it.

Penny started as a SG in the league and eventually became the PG. Penny had played PG before but having gotten experience at both, was able to excel at either position.

Granted JJ is a different player, but IMO JJ usually plays at the top so distributing while staying out for a 3 would make the team even more dangerous. Especially if we can get a star SG.