Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

So wait, even if I have FSN, I'm not guaranteed to watch the game? How is that possible? They purchase rights to the Magic and wouldn't want to air them?

If this is the case, wow, the Magic organization, Brighthouse AND FSN are all a discrage to humanity, lol. This is absolutely ridiculous. Are we more likely to watch freakin Rugby or Cricket in Europe than we are to watch or own dam local professional sports team?

quote:
As many of our customers are aware, some of the Orlando Magic games, which have aired on Bright House Networks every season since 1989, are no longer available because the Magic removed them from Fox-owned WRBW to FOX Sports Net (FSN) just before their season began October 31, 2007. We understand the frustration some of our customers are feeling; we are frustrated as well. We would very much like to find a resolution with FSN. Here are the issues.

FSN could air these games on their sister station Sun Sports if they wanted to while all parties involved continue conversations.

FSN seeks to have their programming placed on the Standard Cable TV tier, which will require all of our customers to pay for it, whether they are sports fans or not.

We are working hard to control cable rates, which are directly affected by the significantly higher costs of sports programming. FSN

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

No other brighthouse service in the state has to pay for FSN... Brighthouse is basically saying, of all the regions in the state, they can take advantage of us because we want to see Magic games enough to pay extra? That's f-ed.

Brighthouse has some nerve trying to force Orlando area residents to pay an additional charge for something they give to the rest of the state for nothing.

I applaud FSN for sticking to their guns and demanding that they be added on the expanded basic lineup. Does it suck that currently we see no FSN broadcast games at home? Yes... am I willing to stick it out until FSN gets added to the basic lineup? Yes.

This aspect of it doesn't bother me as much. The season runs for 6 months, so at $1.99 a month for the sports tier package, you are looking at about 12 dollars, total for the season.

quote:
Originally posted by D-Guy:

I have fsn and it says the magic game is on tonight, this better not be another wednesday fiasco.

For real, where do you live? I'm pretty sure Cox Central Florida is going to get an old poker tournament instead of the Magic game on FSN, like the debacle on Wednesday... although I did enjoy watching Chinese TV on the internet to catch the Magic game on Wednesday for a change, weird commercials heh.

quote:
Quote from Blue Blood:

So wait, even if I have FSN, I'm not guaranteed to watch the game? How is that possible? They purchase rights to the Magic and wouldn't want to air them?

That's right. FSN is forcing each individual cable company that even already has FSN to pay extra $$$ before they'll broadcast it to that cable company. Otherwise we get stupid sports bloopers shows or poker tournaments in those time slots.

FSN is pulling similar trickery with 55 selected Florida Marlins baseball games.

quote:

Here are some more interesting bullets from the above Brighthouse link. I'll say this about Brighthouse, at least they are trying to communicate with the fans/customers.

• Most customers already pay for Sun Sports, which like FSN is owned by Florida Sports Net. WRBW, the over-the-air broadcast channel where the Magic games have aired in the past, is also a FOX company. We have always carried many of the international owned Fox networks.

• Placing the Orlando Magic on multiple sports channels such as FOX Sun Sports and FSN and then asking customers to pay twice sets a dangerous precedent that will further contribute to already spiraling sports programming costs. What is to prevent FOX from asking for more channels and splitting the game coverage to three channels or four channels and making customers pay a third time and a fourth time? Only Fox sports has control over which programming they determine to place on which if the networks that they own.

• We have taken a strong stand on this issue in order to hold the line on costs, while trying to balance sports programming with the interest and expectations of all our customers both fans and on-fans.

quote:
    Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

Here are some more interesting bullets from the above Brighthouse link. I'll say this about Brighthouse, at least they are trying to communicate with the fans/customers.

Most customers already pay for Sun Sports, which like FSN is owned by Florida Sports Net. WRBW, the over-the-air broadcast channel where the Magic games have aired in the past, is also a FOX company. We have always carried many of the international owned Fox networks.

Placing the Orlando Magic on multiple sports channels such as FOX Sun Sports and FSN and then asking customers to pay twice sets a dangerous precedent that will further contribute to already spiraling sports programming costs. What is to prevent FOX from asking for more channels and splitting the game coverage to three channels or four channels and making customers pay a third time and a fourth time? Only Fox sports has control over which programming they determine to place on which if the networks that they own.

We have taken a strong stand on this issue in order to hold the line on costs, while trying to balance sports programming with the interest and expectations of all our customers both fans and on-fans.

Sounds like we are screwed....

I'm sick and tired of this company pointing and that company and vice versa. It's not about caring for the fans or customers, it is about M-O-N-E-Y. Making sure their company gets the bulk of it, not the other.

The Orlando Magic made this switch over the summer, giving FSN and Bright House MONTHS to negotiate a deal, regardless of the issues. At what point did the Magic go, "hmmm maybe this is a problem that won't be fixed soon?" Was it on opening night?

Someone from one of these three organizations needs to step up to the freaking plate and get a deal done. NOW.

Although cable companies are money grubbing you-know-whats, it is true that this is not their fault.

What were essentially 42 free Magic games on broadcast WRBW will now cost the cable companies more money to broadcast. It is unreasonable for us, as consumers, to not get hit with any of this additional cost.

The Magic and FSN messed this up big-time. Cable companies are greedy and don't want to eat any additional cost, but the root of this madness does not lie in the cable companie's refusal to now pay $$$ (without raising end-consumer cable subscription rates) for something they used to broadcast on existing networks at no "extra" cost.

quote:
    Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Although cable companies are money grubbing you-know-whats, it is true that this is not their fault.

What were essentially 42 free Magic games on broadcast WRBW will now cost the cable companies more money to broadcast. It is unreasonable for us, as consumers, to not get hit with any of this additional cost.

The Magic and FSN messed this up big-time. Cable companies are greedy and don't want to eat any additional cost, but the root of this madness does not lie in the cable companie's refusal to now pay $$$ (without raising end-consumer cable subscription rates) for something they used to broadcast on existing networks at no "extra" cost.

So rather than eating $2 per subscriber it's better to lose customer's? I weep for the poor cable companies and what they have to pay to broadcast, they have been gouging their customers for years. They just bumped my bill last year a buck and change, did I get a new basket weaving channel added that I don't know about? I got NOTHING but the same service I've always had.

Sadly, I will not be able to watch the game on tv or the internet at all tonight...........

what a bummer.. my only bit of hope comes from the fact that i will be watchin it LIVE IN PERSON at the o'rena...oh ya!!!!!! free sweet tix kik massive A55!

quote:
    Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
    Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

So rather than eating $2 per subscriber it's better to lose customer's? I weep for the poor cable companies and what they have to pay to broadcast, they have been gouging their customers for years. They just bumped my bill last year a buck and change, did I get a new basket weaving channel added that I don't know about? I got NOTHING but the same service I've always had.

Hey, I hate cable companies hate hate hate and hate is a strong word... but it is unreasonable for them to eat $2 a subscriber... they'd lose a LOT more money from eating 2 bucks a pop than if a handful of Magic fans switch to DirecTV...

I'm not sure a majority of blame can be placed on the cable companies for balking at paying more money to provide the same content (read: Magic games) that they did before.

I mean, we already have FSN in Gainesville. If Cox paid FSN $$$ to carry the 35 Magic games, that right there is how these cable costs go up without anyone getting any extra channels or content, since the Magic games were already being carried on WRBW anyway.