Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Clearing the Air

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Since RockChalk has already started this "Clearing the Air" thread I think now before the season starts is a "perfect" time to get clarification and or discussion on some of the issues Rock has brought up in his post.

I want to talk about two of the subjects Rock made mention of.

First off, the constant flaming, personal attacks and insults to the intellingence of our former coach Brian Hill. I personally was very offended by it all and as everyone knows it was a daily occurence. I was and still am a coach which was why it affected me even more. It drove me to start defending the guy even though there clearly were problems with the team and I agreed with what most were saying. I even PM'd Marc Acres to get clarifacation on it as I inquired about all the flaming the coach got when the message board rules clearly state, "no flaming".

Marc agreed with me but did not feel moved to try and curve those actions of guys that posted in that manner. I guess because Brian Hill himself was not posting on these boards to defend himself or complain it was allowed but I'm just speculating because I really don't know the answer.

The other issue that Rock spoke of was the "cheerleader" thread. I only clicked on it once at the very beginning of the thread and saw the direction it was headed so I never clicked on it again. Based on what RockChalk has posted here it's probably a good thing I didn't.

Question, how are these issues going to be handled on these boards this season and or will it be enforced? I come here to talk basketball. I see nothing wrong with crticizing and or crtiquing opinions of coaches or other board members. It's when the insults and or personal attacks start that I take issue with.

Mods I would like to hear the opinions of all of you but I would really like to hear the opinion of RockChalk himself since he's the guy calling the shots.

As I said earlier, now is the perfect time to set the standard on this before the season starts.

Much Appreciation,

Junkie

Good questions Junkie. This is a tough one. I want to give you guys the rights to have free speech and to express your opinions, but some people simply take it too far. It comes down to respect. To me, it's simple. I would never post anything on a Message Board about someone that I wouldn't openly say to their face.

Like I said before, some people feel like they have all the power in the world when they can remain anonymous behind a computer monitor. I would almost guarantee you that some people that were bad-mouthing Brian Hill are the same people that show up to a Magic event asking for the guys autograph and shake his hand. Look, you don't have to agree with his coaching, but that doesn't make him an idiot.

Same goes for the players. Pat Garrity is the center of a lot of bashing, but do you realize how many basketball players that were never able to make it into the league would die to play just one game in his place. He's in that position because he's a great basketball player. You have to be to play at this level. Pat Garrity is not an All-Star, but he's a contributor that has helped the Magic win games over the years. If you don't agree that he should be on the team, fine, say that. But don't make it personal by attacking the guy.

I want to keep these boards open, but also want to keep them fun. We make judgment calls each and every day on what is and is not acceptable. But we also need to hear from you and I'm glad Junkie took the time to express his feelings. When you think the line has been crossed, please let us know. Or call that person out. I've seen it happen many times before when someone resorts to name-calling and another poster let's them know that it's not cool and it stops.

I'm always open to hearing your ideas, thoughts, etc. So please keep them coming.

Im sorry DJMase, I've never had any problem with you but I'm very surprised your suspension didn't stick and I think you deserved it.

The names you called Fendi were totally uncalled for, especially after Rock had already laid down the law.

In the school where I work, right is right and wrong is wrong and you were wrong DJMase, point blank.

I was offended by your comments even though they weren't intended fo me.

I think you should be very appreciative of Rock and the mods for giving you what looks like a repreive.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Im sorry DJMase, I've never had any problem with you but I'm very surprised your suspension didn't stick and I think you deserved it.

The names you called Fendi were totally uncalled for, especially after Rock had already laid down the law.

In the school where I work, right is right and wrong is wrong and you were wrong DJMase, point blank.

I think you should be very appreciative of Rock and the mods for giving you what looks like a repreive.

Come on now Junkie. Take it easy. Yes. DJMase was overly offensive in the eyes of some. But without a prior warning to him in particular, which is suppose to be a precursor to a suspension, a few days should be sufficient enough to prove the moderator's point.

I think a lot of tempers flared unnecessarily both from members & mods. It will be nice to get past it all (as I have gotten over my rift with RockChalk that had me so upset).

Based on his attitude that I've read in this thread since coming back he seems to feel he was the one that was unjustly treated.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

I also hope dialogue in this thread continues as to what is acceptable on the forums and what is not. I think Rock said it nicely:

quote:

To me, it's simple. I would never post anything on a Message Board about someone that I wouldn't openly say to their face.

quote:

Usually I don't comment on things like this, but grow up man. It's a forum. He paid his dues, and he is sorry for his actions. Don't dwell on it any longer.

Sign in to follow this