Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Clearing the Air

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

I'm going to post this here for a while so all of you will read it ...

Mods you can move it ...

But let it stay awhile so people will read it.

I want to take a second and address some issues that have popped up recently on the Magic Message Boards.

Last week, we implemented a new rule, asking for users to not post entire stories taken from other Web sites on the Message Boards. Instead, we requested users to post the first few paragraphs and then include a link to the remainder of the story.

The reason this was implemented is as a courtesy to the originating Web site. As someone who works in a Web environment, the last thing I want to see if something I worked hard on being repurposed someone else. It's that simple. There's no vendetta against board members and we're not trying to make your lives complicated. As I've said before, how hard is it to just click on a link to get the rest of the story? Seriously?

The other question that was asked in regards to this rule involves the posting of subscription content such as ESPN "Insider". Hence the word - subscription. This content follows suit with any other story. "But I can't see the rest because I don't have a subscription", you say. Is that my problem? Don't blame your unwillingness to purchase a subscription account on a Message Board rule.

Why implement this rule now after allowing full stories to be posted since these boards were formed? Because "The Time is Now". No, it's because we have to make business decisions based on relationships. We have working relations with many of the Web sites that you post stories from. By limiting the amount of content displayed on the boards, we are assisting our partners in their distribution of content, while also allowing you to share information involving the Magic on a condensed basis.

Right from the start, I warned those that questioned the new rule that it would be enforced. And today, I was forced to take action - suspending a well-known user who decided he was above the rule. I have no ill-will against this particular member. In fact, he's been a poster on the boards for a long time and I appreciate his contribution. I don't even remember this member ever being involved in any time of conflict. But he deliberately violated a rule in order to make a point and because of his actions, he's serving a two-week suspension. He also created another account after his suspension, but that's another issue.

Folks, this isn't elementary school. This is life. And there's always consequences for your actions. Some of you on these boards think you can say whatever you want and get away with it because you've been a long standing member or have a high post count. I got news for you. You're no better than the guy that joined the boards yesterday. Rules are rules and EVERYONE on these boards is held accountable for following the same guidelines.

You don't think this rule is "fair"? You think we're turning into a "communist regime"? Let's re-evaluate what we DO allow you to do here. We allow you to rip apart the owner of the team, who just made a huge commitment to keep this team in Orlando. We allow you to say some of the meanest crap I've ever heard about our former head coach, who by the way, is one of the nicest, most generous individuals you'll ever meet. We allow you to say nasty things when you don't agree with the decisions made by our General Manager. We allow you to make fun of players and moan about their playing time, or lack there of. We even let you say terrible, terrible things about the looks of our Magic Dancers. These girls are someone's daughter, someone's sister and in some cases someone's mother. Yet you feel it appropriate to tear them to pieces just because you are not satisfied with how they look.

Why do we allow you to do these things? Because we wanted these boards to be an open forum for you, the Magic fans. We were prepared for the good, the bad and the ugly...and we've certainly received it. Yet, we continue to allow you to post these things in order to give you the most rights to express your opinion.

Yet, through all this...it's simply not enough for you. You then decide that it's fine to hide behind a computer screen, under an alias and once again rip into a decision made by the Magic because it doesn't work for YOU. Is this seriously what you have to do with your time?

I also will not tolerate ANY bad mouthing of a Moderator. These guys don't get paid to moderate - they are fans just like you. They volunteer their time to help create an environment that is satisfying for everyone. You don't think they're doing their job? If you were to see what these boards would look like un-moderated, I can assure you that you'd be finding another place to post real soon. These guys spend more time cleaning up crap on this site then you would imagine. If you have a problem with a moderator, send me a message.

I've typed more words in this post than I have in all of the 380 plus previous posts I've made combined. But this needed to be addressed. Some of you need to take a moment and understand that these Message Boards are a privledge, not an obligation.

Goto for more info posted by Mods;

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3201039871/m/3191066044

I enjoyed seeing the Ghost of DJ Mase - I think the suspension was a little rough. I think the board members union should be able to protest just like the players union. I for one think a 2 day suspension should suffice. Bring back DJ Mase.

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Whew...*slaps forehead*. I remember when I got suspended. Well, some of the things up there are things I don't agree about such as the cheerleaders....I mean....look at them....there alright but......

Nobody didn't think Brian Hill was a bad "Person", we thought he was a bad "coach"...and we held a passion of hatred so harsh that it would seem that we were implying hatred for both. (Although, I've seen different)

But come on, I barely post anymore. I know I'm one of the posters who thought I could do "anything" I wanted without "anyone" doing anything about it but I've changed! I've changed I Tell You!

And how about the Magic decisions in past decisions that we've continuously discussed in repetitions but you have to admit...we've all stand on our Managements decisions and we (The Fans) sometimes know what we are talking about (SmackDaddy, Nyce, Ball Junkie, Iboneteribell, Mr. Charisma, etc.)

But don't worry, I'm not here to disturb the peace although I have made better use of my time now but don't insult us..cause I don't want to turn into those other Orlando pedestrians says the team............well everybody probably knows what those people say.

Never did insult a mod but did start a mod poll out of nowhere but it wasn't to bash and degrade mods, it was just for a dull week on the board and they didn't see the harm in it.

Thats it RockChalk let it all out. Thats just the frustrations, concealed bitterness, and outrage you have to deal with when handling this Orlando Magic Forum but I understand.

*Checks his post 7 times just to make sure he hasn't written down anything to get him suspended*

I like our new coach.

How come I wasn't listed as knowing what I was talking about? I think that should get you a one week suspension right there.

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by WPMagic:

Ya see, diplomacy CAN work!

Diplomacy is a myth. The reinstatement is a result of guilt.

Now Smack, the frontal lobotomy that I recieved while detained, makes me tell you that you shouldnt talk like that. They might send you to the "bad place", as I like to call it. It it similar to the pit in Buffalo Bill's basement.

Minus the lotion?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Im sorry DJMase, I've never had any problem with you but I'm very surprised your suspension didn't stick and I think you deserved it.

The names you called Fendi were totally uncalled for, especially after Rock had already laid down the law.

In the school where I work, right is right and wrong is wrong and you were wrong DJMase, point blank.

I was offended by your comments even though they weren't intended fo me.

I think you should be very appreciative of Rock and the mods for giving you what looks like a repreive.

Come on now Junkie. Take it easy. Yes. DJMase was overly offensive in the eyes of some. But without a prior warning to him in particular, which is suppose to be a precursor to a suspension, a few days should be sufficient enough to prove the moderator's point.

I think a lot of tempers flared unnecessarily both from members & mods. It will be nice to get past it all (as I have gotten over my rift with RockChalk that had me so upset).

quote:
Originally posted by RockChalk Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Since RockChalk has already started this "Clearing the Air" thread I think now before the season starts is a "perfect" time to get clarification and or discussion on some of the issues Rock has brought up in his post.

I want to talk about two of the subjects Rock made mention of.

First off, the constant flaming, personal attacks and insults to the intellingence of our former coach Brian Hill. I personally was very offended by it all and as everyone knows it was a daily occurence. I was and still am a coach which was why it affected me even more. It drove me to start defending the guy even though there clearly were problems with the team and I agreed with what most were saying. I even PM'd Marc Acres to get clarifacation on it as I inquired about all the flaming the coach got when the message board rules clearly state, "no flaming".

Marc agreed with me but did not feel moved to try and curve those actions of guys that posted in that manner. I guess because Brian Hill himself was not posting on these boards to defend himself or complain it was allowed but I'm just speculating because I really don't know the answer.

The other issue that Rock spoke of was the "cheerleader" thread. I only clicked on it once at the very beginning of the thread and saw the direction it was headed so I never clicked on it again. Based on what RockChalk has posted here it's probably a good thing I didn't.

Question, how are these issues going to be handled on these boards this season and or will it be enforced? I come here to talk basketball. I see nothing wrong with crticizing and or crtiquing opinions of coaches or other board members. It's when the insults and or personal attacks start that I take issue with.

Mods I would like to hear the opinions of all of you but I would really like to hear the opinion of RockChalk himself since he's the guy calling the shots.

As I said earlier, now is the perfect time to set the standard on this before the season starts.

Much Appreciation,

Junkie

Good questions Junkie. This is a tough one. I want to give you guys the rights to have free speech and to express your opinions, but some people simply take it too far. It comes down to respect. To me, it's simple. I would never post anything on a Message Board about someone that I wouldn't openly say to their face.

Like I said before, some people feel like they have all the power in the world when they can remain anonymous behind a computer monitor. I would almost guarantee you that some people that were bad-mouthing Brian Hill are the same people that show up to a Magic event asking for the guys autograph and shake his hand. Look, you don't have to agree with his coaching, but that doesn't make him an idiot.

Same goes for the players. Pat Garrity is the center of a lot of bashing, but do you realize how many basketball players that were never able to make it into the league would die to play just one game in his place. He's in that position because he's a great basketball player. You have to be to play at this level. Pat Garrity is not an All-Star, but he's a contributor that has helped the Magic win games over the years. If you don't agree that he should be on the team, fine, say that. But don't make it personal by attacking the guy.

I want to keep these boards open, but also want to keep them fun. We make judgment calls each and every day on what is and is not acceptable. But we also need to hear from you and I'm glad Junkie took the time to express his feelings. When you think the line has been crossed, please let us know. Or call that person out. I've seen it happen many times before when someone resorts to name-calling and another poster let's them know that it's not cool and it stops.

I'm always open to hearing your ideas, thoughts, etc. So please keep them coming.

I agree, that there should be some tact, I can push the envelope. Like here I have to say that I want Garrity cut - I want him traded - I don't ever want him to see the basketball court again and I make jokes, but I know Pat is a great guy - probably one of the nicest guys on the team and a true competitor and someone who will give his all, etc.

But I yell at the TV screen when watching away games if he goes in - sorry, but he needs to retire, but he won't with the money - the good thing is that this is his last year.

I think some people honestly express what they think. The cheerleader thread - I thought that got pretty mean. If everyone all got along and didn't voice different opinions then how interesting would it be - maybe it would be ok.

I get lots of good information from a lot of people here and I like to know what is going on and this board is often more aware of what is going on than any other source - definitely better than the Sentinel.

I think the Sentinel's sports writers are pretty lame as well. The closest I came to personal attacks was with Brian Hill, but my comments about BHill was my aggravation with his constant barking at the players, and I think he is the worst coach to ever coach in the NBA - I think that is true - people may not like that I say it, but I so wanted him gone and I wasn't going to renew my season tickets if he came back. Now, we have a good coach. Brian is probably a great guy, but I don't want him coaching a team I am a fan of. Pat Garrity is a great guy, I don't want him ever on the court again for the Magic.

And, I wore my Fire Brian Hill t-shirts to a couple of games and was on the news both times. So, I wasn't hiding on wanting BHill gone.

And, here was a JJ comment from a Denton article - not as direct a bash on BHill, but you know the guy couldn't stand Brian.

The feeling is dramatically different now, Redick said. Needless to say, he's delighted Stan Van Gundy was hired to replace Hill, noting "maybe players won't be looking over their shoulders as much now."Redick said he's made defensive strides to the point he feels he'll at least be in the rotation this season for the Magic, if not the starting lineup at shooting guard. It's a stark contrast to last season, when Redick missed most of the summer with an injured back, hurt his foot on the first day of training camp and never seemed to catch up. His playing time was sparse under former coach Brian Hill, sapping him of any swagger he might have brought with him from Duke.

Said Magic teammate Keith Bogans: "J.J. is so much more comfortable and confident now. He looks like the J.J. from Duke again."

I think I limited it to 3 paragraphs.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...10050335/1002/SPORTS

Us fans were able to voice our displeasure with the old coach - the players had it going on, but they weren't going to voice it - someone probably gave them the marching orders. As a fan, not just a magic fan, but fans will boo and ask for changes from any pro franchise that is making stupid decisions. And, Magic fans have seen there share of bad decisions.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

WelcomeBackKotter.jpg

Jareth, Is that girl in the teachers lap? Apparently things havent changed that much.LOL

LOL, it appears she is. Amazing.

Sign in to follow this