Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Clearing the Air

I want to take a second and address some issues that have popped up recently on the Magic Message Boards.

Last week, we implemented a new rule, asking for users to not post entire stories taken from other Web sites on the Message Boards. Instead, we requested users to post the first few paragraphs and then include a link to the remainder of the story.

The reason this was implemented is as a courtesy to the originating Web site. As someone who works in a Web environment, the last thing I want to see if something I worked hard on being repurposed someone else. It's that simple. There's no vendetta against board members and we're not trying to make your lives complicated. As I've said before, how hard is it to just click on a link to get the rest of the story? Seriously?

The other question that was asked in regards to this rule involves the posting of subscription content such as ESPN "Insider". Hence the word - subscription. This content follows suit with any other story. "But I can't see the rest because I don't have a subscription", you say. Is that my problem? Don't blame your unwillingness to purchase a subscription account on a Message Board rule.

Why implement this rule now after allowing full stories to be posted since these boards were formed? Because "The Time is Now". No, it's because we have to make business decisions based on relationships. We have working relations with many of the Web sites that you post stories from. By limiting the amount of content displayed on the boards, we are assisting our partners in their distribution of content, while also allowing you to share information involving the Magic on a condensed basis.

Right from the start, I warned those that questioned the new rule that it would be enforced. And today, I was forced to take action - suspending a well-known user who decided he was above the rule. I have no ill-will against this particular member. In fact, he's been a poster on the boards for a long time and I appreciate his contribution. I don't even remember this member ever being involved in any time of conflict. But he deliberately violated a rule in order to make a point and because of his actions, he's serving a two-week suspension. He also created another account after his suspension, but that's another issue.

Folks, this isn't elementary school. This is life. And there's always consequences for your actions. Some of you on these boards think you can say whatever you want and get away with it because you've been a long standing member or have a high post count. I got news for you. You're no better than the guy that joined the boards yesterday. Rules are rules and EVERYONE on these boards is held accountable for following the same guidelines.

You don't think this rule is "fair"? You think we're turning into a "communist regime"? Let's re-evaluate what we DO allow you to do here. We allow you to rip apart the owner of the team, who just made a huge commitment to keep this team in Orlando. We allow you to say some of the meanest crap I've ever heard about our former head coach, who by the way, is one of the nicest, most generous individuals you'll ever meet. We allow you to say nasty things when you don't agree with the decisions made by our General Manager. We allow you to make fun of players and moan about their playing time, or lack there of. We even let you say terrible, terrible things about the looks of our Magic Dancers. These girls are someone's daughter, someone's sister and in some cases someone's mother. Yet you feel it appropriate to tear them to pieces just because you are not satisfied with how they look.

Why do we allow you to do these things? Because we wanted these boards to be an open forum for you, the Magic fans. We were prepared for the good, the bad and the ugly...and we've certainly received it. Yet, we continue to allow you to post these things in order to give you the most rights to express your opinion.

Yet, through all this...it's simply not enough for you. You then decide that it's fine to hide behind a computer screen, under an alias and once again rip into a decision made by the Magic because it doesn't work for YOU. Is this seriously what you have to do with your time?

I also will not tolerate ANY bad mouthing of a Moderator. These guys don't get paid to moderate - they are fans just like you. They volunteer their time to help create an environment that is satisfying for everyone. You don't think they're doing their job? If you were to see what these boards would look like un-moderated, I can assure you that you'd be finding another place to post real soon. These guys spend more time cleaning up crap on this site then you would imagine. If you have a problem with a moderator, send me a message.

I've typed more words in this post than I have in all of the 380 plus previous posts I've made combined. But this needed to be addressed. Some of you need to take a moment and understand that these Message Boards are a privledge, not an obligation.

I want to take a second and address some issues that have popped up recently on the Magic Message Boards.

Last week, we implemented a new rule, asking for users to not post entire stories taken from other Web sites on the Message Boards. Instead, we requested users to post the first few paragraphs and then include a link to the remainder of the story.

The reason this was implemented is as a courtesy to the originating Web site. As someone who works in a Web environment, the last thing I want to see if something I worked hard on being repurposed someone else. It's that simple. There's no vendetta against board members and we're not trying to make your lives complicated. As I've said before, how hard is it to just click on a link to get the rest of the story? Seriously?

The other question that was asked in regards to this rule involves the posting of subscription content such as ESPN "Insider". Hence the word - subscription. This content follows suit with any other story. "But I can't see the rest because I don't have a subscription", you say. Is that my problem? Don't blame your unwillingness to purchase a subscription account on a Message Board rule.

Why implement this rule now after allowing full stories to be posted since these boards were formed? Because "The Time is Now". No, it's because we have to make business decisions based on relationships. We have working relations with many of the Web sites that you post stories from. By limiting the amount of content displayed on the boards, we are assisting our partners in their distribution of content, while also allowing you to share information involving the Magic on a condensed basis.

Right from the start, I warned those that questioned the new rule that it would be enforced. And today, I was forced to take action - suspending a well-known user who decided he was above the rule. I have no ill-will against this particular member. In fact, he's been a poster on the boards for a long time and I appreciate his contribution. I don't even remember this member ever being involved in any time of conflict. But he deliberately violated a rule in order to make a point and because of his actions, he's serving a two-week suspension. He also created another account after his suspension, but that's another issue.

Folks, this isn't elementary school. This is life. And there's always consequences for your actions. Some of you on these boards think you can say whatever you want and get away with it because you've been a long standing member or have a high post count. I got news for you. You're no better than the guy that joined the boards yesterday. Rules are rules and EVERYONE on these boards is held accountable for following the same guidelines.

You don't think this rule is "fair"? You think we're turning into a "communist regime"? Let's re-evaluate what we DO allow you to do here. We allow you to rip apart the owner of the team, who just made a huge commitment to keep this team in Orlando. We allow you to say some of the meanest crap I've ever heard about our former head coach, who by the way, is one of the nicest, most generous individuals you'll ever meet. We allow you to say nasty things when you don't agree with the decisions made by our General Manager. We allow you to make fun of players and moan about their playing time, or lack there of. We even let you say terrible, terrible things about the looks of our Magic Dancers. These girls are someone's daughter, someone's sister and in some cases someone's mother. Yet you feel it appropriate to tear them to pieces just because you are not satisfied with how they look.

Why do we allow you to do these things? Because we wanted these boards to be an open forum for you, the Magic fans. We were prepared for the good, the bad and the ugly...and we've certainly received it. Yet, we continue to allow you to post these things in order to give you the most rights to express your opinion.

Yet, through all this...it's simply not enough for you. You then decide that it's fine to hide behind a computer screen, under an alias and once again rip into a decision made by the Magic because it doesn't work for YOU. Is this seriously what you have to do with your time?

I also will not tolerate ANY bad mouthing of a Moderator. These guys don't get paid to moderate - they are fans just like you. They volunteer their time to help create an environment that is satisfying for everyone. You don't think they're doing their job? If you were to see what these boards would look like un-moderated, I can assure you that you'd be finding another place to post real soon. These guys spend more time cleaning up crap on this site then you would imagine. If you have a problem with a moderator, send me a message.

I've typed more words in this post than I have in all of the 380 plus previous posts I've made combined. But this needed to be addressed. Some of you need to take a moment and understand that these Message Boards are a privledge, not an obligation.

I posted this in another thread but I think it bears mentioning again.

Just a little food for thought here, this is from ESPN.com's terms of use-

RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF MATERIALS

All information, content and materials contained on WDIG Sites are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees. All trademarks, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are proprietary to us and/or our licensors or licensees. No information, content or material from any WDIG Site or any Internet site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by us may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the information, content or materials on any single computer for your personal, noncommercial home use only, ...

That is what they have for terms on their NON-Subscription based content. I'm guessing the Subscription based has a few more rules involved.

This is from the Sentinels terms of use-

If you operate a Web site and wish to link to OrlandoSentinel.com, you may do so provided you agree to cease such link upon request from OrlandoSentinel.com. No other use is permitted without prior written permission of OrlandoSentinel.com. The permitted use described in this Paragraph is contingent on your compliance at all times with these Terms of Service.

You may not, for example, republish any portion of the Content on any Internet, Intranet or extranet site or incorporate the Content in any database, compilation, archive or cache. You may not distribute any Content to others, whether or not for payment or other consideration,...

Thanks for the post RC. I was offended with some of the dancer comments as well.

For us this is a game, but we sometimes forgot that these are real people.

A few thoughts about RC's message:

1. I completely understand in regards to the content of other sites. For example, the Orlando Sentinel relies so heavily on internet traffic these days I can see them approaching the Magic asking about the use of their content. The material we eat up (i.e. Bianchi, Schmitz) is done to make money... And they make money by us either buying a paper or visiting their site. So, its pretty simple, if you cant deal with it, go somewhere else.

2. As for djmase... Hopefully he comes back. Hes a valuable poster.

3. Lets also remember that RC gets paid here, and has to answer to the powers that be.

4. I'm not sure what I think about this:

quote:

It seems like degrading all 1800+ members is a bit off.

I bit my tongue on replying to the dancer comments. That was a little distasteful and I think people need to show a little courtesy and respect on a broader scale, not just the dancer issue.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr34205:

I bit my tongue on replying to the dancer comments. That was a little distasteful and I think people need to show a little courtesy and respect on a broader scale, not just the dancer issue.

Anyone have a like to that one? I don't remember it...

quote:

I wouldn't call that degrading all. I believe thats meant to those who don't want to follow them .

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:

I wouldn't call that degrading all. I believe thats meant to those who don't want to follow them .

Perhaps FENDI... Either way, I'm done talking about all this. Isn't the first pre-season game MONDAY!

Sign in to follow this