Sign in to follow this  
JMEWLS1

Bigger Avatar Sizes?

I was just wondering, has anyone considered bumping up the size of an avatar on here. I think right now, the size is something like 50X50 pixels.

I don't think that's very large at all, and maybe the forum would look a little more appealing with some larger avatars. I don't know about you all, but when I post on a forum. One of the things I remember someone by, is by his/hers avatar.

It's just a small request to maybe improve on the look of the board. Making something bigger for the better, isn't going to make the forum bad or anything. I just think it may make it look more appealing.

Thoughts?

I was just wondering, has anyone considered bumping up the size of an avatar on here. I think right now, the size is something like 50X50 pixels.

I don't think that's very large at all, and maybe the forum would look a little more appealing with some larger avatars. I don't know about you all, but when I post on a forum. One of the things I remember someone by, is by his/hers avatar.

It's just a small request to maybe improve on the look of the board. Making something bigger for the better, isn't going to make the forum bad or anything. I just think it may make it look more appealing.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the boards and thanks for your suggestion. You are the first board member that has stated this concern.

We used to have less strict rules on avatar size but things got out of hand. Much of the problem is due to band-width.

I don't know that we will increase the avatar size anytime soon. But I hope you stick around for the content of the posts and threads, if not the avatars.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Welcome to the boards and thanks for your suggestion. You are the first board member that has stated this concern.

We used to have less strict rules on avatar size but things got out of hand. Much of the problem is due to band-width.

I don't know that we will increase the avatar size anytime soon. But I hope you stick around for the content of the posts and threads, if not the avatars.

Don't worry, I'll be sticking around. The posters and content on here is great. Not to mention I've read posts from some great fans. Which I enjoy.

It looks like I've been pretty active so far. I'll be sure to keep it up.

---------------

As for the avatar sizes, I wouldn't have though that the avatars would use much bandwidth at all. Because you're not uploading an image, its simply posting a link for the image. But I get where you're coming from, with page loading. It may take a little while longer.

Thanks for the fast reply, loving the forum so far!

Sorry to double post, or sound like repetitive or anything. Nor sound like I know all this stuff. But I happened to notice, that all the forum is coded to do. Is resize an image once it loads.

If you check the image location, it is still the same. I would've thought that if it was part of Magic Madness, it would have a URL to that image. Therefore effecting the bandwidth. I maybe wrong, just wanting to inform you.

I just don't think that avatar sizes had much to do with the speeds of the forum or anything. Because, by me looking and finding that the image location is the same, proves that its just loading the image, then resizing it.

But if it was to be loaded onto the database of the site, then different story. It would effect the bandwidth.

I could be wrong, and if so please correct me.

I can't speak from absolute knowledge myself. I only know that we had issues in the past where page loading times were getting painfully slow, primarily for our large number of dial-up members. The source was determined to be the large avatars. So we started cracking down on avatar file size and it helped.

I will mention this to other moderators (if they don't see this thread themselves) and see if someone can provide a more definitive answer.

Thanks for that Live or Die Magic, I know my own website had trouble loading pages, a way I was able to access higher speeds. Was from removing pointless scripts on the forum.

For example, if there's any type of "stat-collecting" script or something. Just remove it, because it makes loading times longer. Just check for the stats in the cPanel if you really need to.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

LOD, just how big WAS your avatar with April's picture on it?

Not nearly big enough, it should have been large enough to have maximum resolution.

hey Marc, ever thought about getting an April Fathead???

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

LOD, just how big WAS your avatar with April's picture on it?

Not nearly big enough, it should have been large enough to have maximum resolution.

hey Marc, ever thought about getting an April Fathead???

No, but he is having one custom made for me as a Christmas gift this year. It's my understanding that he is having some difficulty getting her to agree to the particular pose I have in mind.