LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Saw some more Aaron Gordon videos and must say that his weaknesses are correctable.

1. Poor defensive rebounder - because he doesn't box out, easily fixable.

2. Leg strength - more squats.

3. Offensive game - seems to have good shooting form. Awkward shooting off the dribble. Lack of a soft touch. All correctable with drills.

4. Free Throws - needs a routine to establish consistency. From there is just confidence.

Yea I noticed he doesn't box out... That needs to get fixed. In a pre-draft interview he said he's aligned his 3 point shot, shot off the dribble and FT shot into all one motion whereas before he felt like he had 3 separate shots and he said that has really helped him. Obviously take that with a grain of salt since we've never seen it in game.

Saw some more Aaron Gordon videos and must say that his weaknesses are correctable.

1. Poor defensive rebounder - because he doesn't box out, easily fixable.

2. Leg strength - more squats.

3. Offensive game - seems to have good shooting form. Awkward shooting off the dribble. Lack of a soft touch. All correctable with drills.

4. Free Throws - needs a routine to establish consistency. From there is just confidence.

Yep I agree and the beauty of all this is that Gordon was the youngest player in the draft. He won't be 19 until September and there's plenty of time for all his weaknesses to be corrected. I'm not even sure this kid is even done growing yet. Paul George grew 2 inches after his rookie year and so did Giannis over in Milwaukee. I'm excited to see his growth and with his work ethic I see him reaching his ceiling.

Yep I agree and the beauty of all this is that Gordon was the youngest player in the draft. He won't be 19 until September and there's plenty of time for all his weaknesses to be corrected. I'm not even sure this kid is even done growing yet. Paul George grew 2 inches after his rookie year and so did Giannis over in Milwaukee. I'm excited to see his growth and with his work ethic I see him reaching his ceiling.

Giannis Antetokounmpo also grew since he came into the league last year, going from 6'9 to almost 6'11, so it is possible.

Check this out, fascinating mini doc from grantland inside the kings making their decision and asking random people for input based on analytics. Really interesting, but also check out how close they were to taking Payton...i'm really glad that didn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuwvsZOvcms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEN6ad_Aw-M

• Upvote 1

Check this out, fascinating mini doc from grantland inside the kings making their decision and asking random people for input based on analytics. Really interesting, but also check out how close they were to taking Payton...i'm really glad that didn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuwvsZOvcms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEN6ad_Aw-M

Man, if they had picked Payton, we would've been seriously screwed. I don't see anyone at 12 that would've been good for us without reaching. Maybe Ennis?

Have to have some luck in the draft and seems like we got the guys we wanted.

Man, if they had picked Payton, we would've been seriously screwed. I don't see anyone at 12 that would've been good for us without reaching. Maybe Ennis?

Have to have some luck in the draft and seems like we got the guys we wanted.

We probably would've drafted Lavine and then Jameer probably wouldn't of been waived.

Is it to early to start talking 2015 draft ????

John Calipari has assembled quite a roster with the return of Willie Cauley-Stein and the Harrison twins. In fact, there are nine potential first-rounders on the Wildcats, making UK the runaway leader for the program with the most NBA talent.

However, it’s not quite as simple to figure out who ranks immediately behind Kentucky.

Want to know where the NBA scouts will be this season? Here’s a checklist of the top dozen teams for 2014-15 in terms of NBA prospects:

1. Kentucky Wildcats

It’s the Wildcats and then everyone else. John Calipari’s team is so loaded with NBA prospects that Marcus Lee, who could become a first-round pick at some point, may have difficulty getting onto the court for meaningful minutes in the upcoming season. The most talented player on the team is 6-foot-11 freshman Karl Towns Jr., but the Cats also have a few more front-line guys who could go in the first round with Cauley-Stein, Trey Lyles and Dakari Johnson.

Holdovers Andrew and Aaron Harrison are potential first-rounders, and both shooting guard Devin Booker and undersized point guard Tyler Ulis have a shot to play at the next level (though Ulis may be hindered by his size). We haven’t even discussed Alex Poythress, who has seen his stock fall but still has a chance to play in the NBA.

2. Kansas Jayhawks

The Jayhawks lost the top overall pick in Andrew Wiggins and also the No. 3 pick, Joel Embiid, but Bill Self and KU will reload by adding imposing power forward Cliff Alexander and long and athletic wing Kelly Oubre. Self also has another pair of prospects in holdovers Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis. All four guys have a shot to be first-rounders -- with Alexander and Oubre potentially lottery picks. Another player on the team who has a chance to crack the next level is 6-6 sophomore wing Brannen Greene, a player with good length and the ability to shoot the ball.

Duke 3rd......

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3894

Stanley Johnson is #1 on my list for fit right now.

Not sure about fit in terms of talent (seems to be pretty ball dominant and I have questions about his shooting) but in terms of personality he's definitely a fit on this team. Hard working guy, won 4 state championships, high BBIQ. Plus there's a strong chance he's pretty good friends with AG since they played on the same EYBL team and are both Wildcats. For those unfamiliar check out his mini-doc on Youtube it's called "Work" I believe.

I seriously think if we're going to start talking about this we need a new thread.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about fit in terms of talent (seems to be pretty ball dominant and I have questions about his shooting) but in terms of personality he's definitely a fit on this team. Hard working guy, won 4 state championships, high BBIQ. Plus there's a strong chance he's pretty good friends with AG since they played on the same EYBL team and are both Wildcats. For those unfamiliar check out his mini-doc on Youtube it's called "Work" I believe.

I seriously think if we're going to start talking about this we need a new thread.

I agree with new thread.

I like him because he's a hyper athletic defensive minded guy.